Someday you'll realize I am right.
  • mycrobemini
    mycrobemini Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    "You just don't understand me...I beat the drummer to my own tune."
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    "So what do you think?" whenever I went looking for answers. Great listener, but she didn't always "rescue" me, ya know?
  • Shivpea
    Shivpea Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    My mom didn't do sayings much...but the best one I ever heard anywhere was from my husband. I have a gazillion freckles, and once I was bemoaning that fact to him and he just smiled, stroked my cheek, and said "A girl without freckles is like a night without stars."
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    "You will never be worth anything." "you'll be dead before your thirty." Luckily for me I'm oppositional, defiant, and stubborn as hell :laugh:

My dad always told me, it could always be worse. Used to piss me off something fierce, how could he know how bad it was for me? Now that I am older, it actually has gotten me through some really hard times in my life.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    My dad was more of the "sayings" guy. And a lot of them stuck with me.. like

"There will always be someone worse than you, and there will always be someone better than you." He would say this a lot when I would get down on myself in sports. It motivated me a lot to get better.

"There are more people out there that will try and push you down than keep you up." Probably kind of a negative thing to say, but the harsh truth. I heard this a lot when I would complain about my "friends" being mean to me or others.

"I'll kick ya where the sun don't shine"

'Pick your nose and chew it, Leah likes to do it, people think it's candy; but it's not, it's her snot" :P

"Goodnight, sweet dreams, god bless. Love you small as the world, big as the universe; that's how much I love you. Whose girl are you?" What he said when he would tuck me in for bed.
  • WalkingAway2013
    Options
    when it was raining out she would say "sugar melts **** don't,go get the car"

:laugh:
  • mlcantwell
    mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    "count your blessings"

Just remember when you have a bad day it could always be worse.
  • megansarro
    megansarro Posts: 23
    Options
    Not my mom but my dad always tells me to appreciate what I have, cause you don't realize what you have until it's gone. Almost every time we sit down and talk it's brought into the conversation. :)
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    "If you embarrass me, I WILL embarrass you." This was often said when I started to get even a little cranky out in public (shopping, restaurants, church, anywhere)

And damned if she didn't hold up her end of the bargain. When working at a game/toy store in college, I often called her after some kid threw a huge tantrum in the store, and thanked her for raising me the way she did.
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You can sit around waiting for someone to make you happy, or you can go out and do the things that will make you happy.

Very wise woman. :)
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    "When in doubt.......don't"

That is a credo I now live by as it has been meaningful many times in my life.
    What needs to be done will always become clear :)

LOVE - so true - great advice.

My mother said "No one cares that much about you"....sound insulting, right? It's not though - for me it's very freeing advice that I still listen to at 42 years of age. It's a very direct way of saying how ridiculous it is to be self-consious, or to constantly be thinking about how others perceive you.
  • katherinelouisedoddxx
    Options
    My mum says dont ever give up because once you give up you let the demons win the battle.
  • ApisHeraldOfPtah
    Options
    "I told you! No wire hangers, ever!"
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    My Dad was the sayings guy, when I was getting married he said "Can she cook? Because love gets old & sex gets old but you'll always be hungry!"
  • TravelerX
    TravelerX Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Me: No *kitten*
    Mom: I wouldn't *kitten* you, you're my favorite turd.
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    "Never get married. It's much easier and cheaper to get out of relationship if you are just living together." WIsh I had listened to her on that one.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    My mom always said: "Be nice to the dorks. You'll probably work for one someday and if you're smart you'll marry one." Flash forward and she was right. I married a man that was a complete dork as a child/teenager, but grew up to be an amazingly kind and generous man who has his priorities straight. (And thanks to my "dorky" husband, I'm able to work part-time for myself.)

Dad always said: "Just put it behind the wall of no control." He was trying to tell me not to stress over the things I can't control. Little did he know it would be his mantra that got me thru his battle with cancer, his death, and my battles with infertility. Honestly, it's probably the biggest contributor to my sanity!
  • oskybosky4
    oskybosky4 Posts: 62
    Options
    My mum is 95 now and the best advice she gave me - which I ignored for a lot of my life - when you get tired have a little rest, then when you go back to what you were doing it won't seem half so bad. Now I am in my 60s I finally am taking this advice.

I tell my sons, all in their 20s, and without children so far, that they should make the most of this time of their lives, travel, have fun. Their answer is to do that you need money and to get money these days you have to work long and hard.