You know you're serious when...you added what?

Options

Replies

• timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    When my basement looked like this:

33_mms95picture.jpg

Is that a homemade power rack? Do you have plans? Is it sturdy enough for 300+ pounds?

(Posted earlier, but that post didn't have the picture so I think it got missed)

I did make that myself, following the plans at http://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com/homemade-power-rack.html. Cost was maybe just a hair over $100, most of that for the lumber. The hardest part was drilling all the holes for the safety pins, although that would be a lot easier if one had access to a drill press. Probably took about 8 hours total I would guess, I split it across a few evenings.

I haven't tied it into the floor joists yet, it's pretty dang solid as-is and I'm not 100% sure it's going to stay right there or if I may move it around a little. I probably will tie it in to the floor joists once I'm sure it's where I want it to be. It doesn't really need it, I can hang off of it and it doesn't budge, but I figure it can't really hurt.

I'd trust it up to around 300lbs, but that's just the number I pulled out of my butt with no justification. If I tied it in to the floor joists and maybe got something a little more solid for the safety pins (using 3/4" black pipe right now) I'd probably trust it with more. I will say that, with the way that it is designed, all of the load-bearing is done by the wood directly on the concrete floor. None of the screws have any significant amount of weight on them. I mean, my house is built the same way, and my house can handle 300+ lbs of weight.
  • feast4dabeast
    feast4dabeast Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    double sessions in an attempt to reach my maximum potential....also started to video all my lifts and pick them to shreds
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    A personal trainer.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    start paper work for fitness
  • bwright9752
    bwright9752 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I guess I knew I was serious when I bought a bigger suitcase and stopped carry-oning (huh, is that a word?) because I couldn't fit my work clothes and workout clothes and shoes in a the smaller carry-on bags. Two sets of workout clothes for each day on the road and 2 sets of shoes (running and training) take up a lot of space.
  • charleneagilmore
    charleneagilmore Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I knew I was serious when i failed but didn't quit.

And didn't quit that time either.

I ABSOLUTELY love this thought!!!!
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    my dinners are a peanutbutter fantasy protein shake from the gym (395 cals)

my snack is a homemade protein shake using cytosport protein with cocoa for (200 cals)
  • Katina3333
    Katina3333 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    When I started taking my own calorie conscious food to picnics & get togethers and when I starting logging my mile time each day on my calendar. I always hated running (even when I played soccer, tennis & softball in high school) but I sure did miss it when I had my molar pulled and couldn't do any strenuous exercise for 48 hours!
  • Mandi5Dogs
    Mandi5Dogs Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I got a personal trainer to work with 2 days a week. We just added a third day. :) I am going broke. LOL
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    dumbbells, food scale, weighing scale, new shoes, new running/exercise gear, heart rate monitor, pedometer
  • Elif84
    Elif84 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I knew I was serious when I started waking up at 4:30 to get my workout in. That lasted about a year, but now I get my workouts in right after work.
  • HealthyStartsHere
    HealthyStartsHere Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Turning down fast food
    buying and eating chia seeds
    using measuring cups to figure out how much cereal I'm eating
    Staying at the gym longer than I use to

:)
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    my exercise became more about meeting physical goals than calorie burns... (Right now, I'm working on being able to do a pull up!)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Already had the treadmill and elliptical machine....just starting using them instead of hanging coats on them.

THIS -- Except at our house it's a weight machine and stationary bike and jeans were drying on them.
  • HealthyStartsHere
    HealthyStartsHere Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I knew I was serious when i failed but didn't quit.

And didn't quit that time either.

This is great!!
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Friends on MFP, I used MFP before without friends & it didn't work, They inspire me & keep me accountable
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    When, on a weekend home from uni, my mum offered me a selection of baked treats - listed them - and I said 'none of the above' - oh yeah, that was an empowering moment....those chocolate truffles looked delicious too :tongue:
  • Heidi_11913
    Heidi_11913 Posts: 54
    Options
    I brought in some rice cakes to eat at work today..... normally if I'm eating something new, I'll scan it into my journal before I leave home. Well, I forgot and ended up eating the rice cakes.... needless to say was DRIVING ME NUTS not having the calorie content. They were some generic brand, so I wasn't sure and tried looking on the grocery stores site to find them, googling them... nothing looked right! My fiance is at home sleeping so I sent him a message, telling him that when he gets up to PLEASE send me a picture of the bag so I can log it. He hasn't done it yet and not having those calories added is still driving me nuts.

SO i called the grocery store where I bought them to ask what brand they are.... she told me quaker and I knew that wasn't right, so I called back, got someone else, and asked her to check. She said quaker and I said I know that's not right, can you please check??

They are FOOD CLUB OVEN BAKED CHOCOLATE CRISPS........... which I now have in my diary, and can breathe again. :) LOL!
  • smmundy
    smmundy Posts: 12
    Options
    I guess I knew I was really serious when waking up at 5am didn't bother me any more, since I new how working out in the morning would make me feel throughout the day. Ever since then, it hasn't really felt like a chore, just part of my routine.

This is where I need to get to. I struggle getting up at 7 to take my hubster to the metro station. Hopefully it will get easier when my monster sleeps through the night.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    When my basement looked like this:

33_mms95picture.jpg

Did you make that power rack yourself? If so - how much did it cost, how hard was it and did you have to tie it into the foor boards above?

I dunno when I realized I was serious - probably after buying a ton of pro style dumbells online.

Or maybe it is when you really consider building your own power rack??