You know you're serious when...you added what?

Options

Replies

• keatsgeckos
    keatsgeckos Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi,

I like Isopure Natural Zero Carb :)
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    bought a kitchen scale, HRM, new workout clothes, etc.

getting up early to do 2 a day workouts, adding additional cardio, meal planning/prep for the week. There are a bunch of things I have done recently that are helping and I'm loving it!

Only down side...I knew I was serious when I gave up wine.... (only having twice a month ...for now)
  • keatsgeckos
    keatsgeckos Posts: 15
    Options
    I've had several milestones:

Adding food measuring cups and a food scale.
    Buying a tub of zero carb protein powder.
    Buying a second tub of zero carb protein powder.
    Working with a personal trainer and upping my gym days from 3 to 6.
    Taking my bike out on my one rest day from the gym to bike 4-7 miles.
    :smile:
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    I knew i was serious when:

i brought my hrm, my cross trainer, my new bathroom scales that do not only weight but body fat %, bmi and water %, dumbells and yoga ball.

Also knew when i started to weigh everything and here an there around the house you can still find little scribbles of paper with weights of items iv eaten until i log it into mpf.

An now im obsessively weighing myself :ohwell:

I also turned a booze an food night into a 'get drunk and work out at 1:30am' night :laugh:
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Several... in chronological order:
    • March 2012: Bought digital scale (with BF%) and digital BP machine for home
    • At new job, started walking about a 1-2 miles after lunch, in my business casual clothes
    • Bought a pair of dedicated walking shoes for the walks above; left them and a T-shirt at work specifically for this
    • Started skipping the 'quick value burger' stop on the way home after work
    • Started bringing a dedicated gym bag daily to work and leaving backup clothes at work in case I forgot it
    • Started using at-work gym twice weekly, mainly treadmill
    • Bought dedicated treadmill shoes
    • Took a couple of business trips, and would deliberately walk blocks out of my way to increase walking time (actually lost weight during 2nd trip even though I ate like a pig!)
    • Joined MFP (Sept. 2012) as per work-related program to get a $10 GC. Got the GC but got addicted to MFP and haven't missed a day since!
    • Started religiously logging food
    • Bought food scale; use several times daily
    • Bought new treadmill at home so nice that I stopped using work ones
    • Stopped using elevator at work (skyscraper), starting parking on roof of parking deck, set quota of 1,500 stairs traversed per workday.
    • Built treadmill desk so I can work and walk at same time
    • Bought FitBit One
    • Bought Polar FT7 HRM
    • Last week: Joined health insurance program for $25/mth that gives unlimited access to 9 local gyms; made on-site visits to get key cards/fobs to access 5 of the 24/7 ones.

Future:
    • Will start strength training
    • Will buy portable food scale for work/travel
    • Will figure out SOME way to manage all obligations AND get at least 7 hours sleep nightly (avg. 4-5 now)
  • ingridisazombie
    ingridisazombie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    1. I went out with my friends last night and I had one glass of white wine, like 10 glasses of water and half a plate of house cut fries. They all ate full meals, drank beer and other drinks and I didn't feel tempted whatsoever.

2. I don't drink soda and only rarely treat myself to a burger, fries and a bottle of water.

3. I don't mind at all waking up at 8 am or earlier. I used to hate mornings.

4. I don't mind walking 2 miles to pick up my kids even in hot weather.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    When my basement looked like this:

33_mms95picture.jpg

Did you make that power rack yourself? If so - how much did it cost, how hard was it and did you have to tie it into the foor boards above?

I dunno when I realized I was serious - probably after buying a ton of pro style dumbells online.

Or maybe it is when you really consider building your own power rack??

I think that should go into the "you know you're cheap when you..." thread :laugh:
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    after I took a class for living well with a chronic condition at the gym where they actually took 8 weeks to thoroughly show us how to use some of the equipment, and do warm up and cool down (and a few other things), then I bought a one year membership - for that kind of money I had to get serious! And since then, getting up at 6 am three days a week to keep going (it's a 45 mile drive one way!), buying a food scale, actually using the Leslie Sansome DVD I was given a few years ago, and yesterday ordering a FitBit One!
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    When I started spending my money on race registrations, running shoes, and a Garmin watch/HRM instead of on regular clothes!

Now regular shopping is a "chore" that I have to do because I don't have anything that fits me...ugh..just wish I could wear workout clothes to work, I've got plenty of those!
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I knew I was serious when I stopped pressuring myself to do the workouts I "should" do, and gave myself permission to find those I love to do and want to do regardless of my weight-loss goals. So I added in biking to work a couple times a week (18 miles round-trip) and I'm much happier now that my focus also includes being happy in my fitness.

That is fantastic!
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Exactly the same for me. The first few times were hard, but now after months of doing it it's just business as usual
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    When I got my HRM. I never spend money, so it was like a friggin miracle.
  • jemmers6
    jemmers6 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I knew I was serious when I bought a food scale.

I knew I was insanely serious when I stopped spending my calories at the coffee shop drive through. Six weeks without a chai latte with a shot of vanilla syrup.
  • readeramm
    readeramm Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I added 15,000 steps a day during the work week and 20,000 a day on the weekends. I'm usually exceeding these goals which makes eating better much easier. I'm going to do it this time. There is no doubt for the first time ever.
  • itstartswithastep
    Options
    I've only just started , but I know I am a lot more serious and focussed this time round because
    1. When my mum said do you want anything from the shops, I actually contributed a large list of vegetables, fruits and good stuff
    2. Weighing out and be more precise than guessing
    3. Buying good work out gear
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    My GPS/HRM watch (a Bryton Cardio 35t) arrived today...this means I do actually have to do something and analyse whether it actually did anything!!
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    When I turned down happy hour so I could workout!
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    When I started enjoying it, not the weight coming off because I rarely weigh myself but I enjoy how I feel after I worked out and how my clothes fit or lack there of. Also when the food I wasn't eating started going bad or just took up too much space in my kitchen. It went in the trash and I didn't care.
  • TheDarkestStar87
    TheDarkestStar87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I knew i was serious when I realised the amount of laundry I do somehow seems to have doubled... and it's all because of my gym clothes.
  • RCottonRPh
    RCottonRPh Posts: 148
    Options
    I know that I'm serious because.....

I bought (and use!) a treadmill

I subscribed to an organic vegetable delivery service

I joined the YMCA.

There is no longer junk food in the house

And the biggest one? I have almost completely given up Diet Coke. For years, it was the ONLY thing I drank. Now I am down to 1-2 per week (I no longer keep it in the house, only have it when we eat out). Stopping it shows I am not out to just drop a few pounds, but am also concerned about my overall health.