losing weight during vacations? (Disneyworld) need some tips

Options
13»

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I don't know who said this, but before you eat think, "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." The other thing I do is weird, but it works for me :laugh: When I want something, I start thinking like I already had it and want more. For example, when I want a cookie, I ask myself, "Well, how would you handle this craving if you already had the cookie, but it was so good that you just can't say no to another and another? At some point you have to say no. What's the difference between saying no now and having to say it later? That usually get me through a couple hours :ohwell:

Definetely Im gonna practice that method. Thank you and the quote was by kate moss

Not that Kate Moss is much of a roll model for healthy living. :grumble: That phrase is very popular with the pro-ana crowd.

Eat the cookie....one cookie. Drink a big glass of water, go for a walk, and feel GREAT about yourself.
  • kloser2kona
    Options
    sticking with a diet is NOT allowed at DIsney jk. I always eat a huge salad at lunch to get in my veggies.

JUST ENJOY YOURSELF!!! if u wanna eat healthy then do so, if you wanna indulge do so too.

the mix up will be great to throw your body off from routine :)
  • stestut
    stestut Posts: 42
    Options
    We are going in October (eeeeeeeeek) and I'm going to enjoy my time there I'm not going to count calories just make good choices and all the walking wow just think of the calorie burn! If I want ice cream I'm having it :-)

Going in October is awesome!! The Epcot Wine and Food Festival will be going on and it is SO much fun!!! You basically get 1 bite tastes at each of the countries...and the 20 or so others they bring in...for a small fee. Then you can pick and choose what you'd like and still do ok with your nutrition.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I always lose on vacation - including at Disney.

There are lots of healthy food choices. If you want to indulge just make sure you don't go hog-wild. You're also walking a lot & most of the hotels have gyms.
  • MHCM809
    MHCM809 Posts: 1
    Options
    We will be going in 14 days & have the dining plan. I am going to split my quick service meals with my 6 year old daughter. I also have a 9 yr old boy & a 12 yr old boy but I don't think they will share. Lol. It really is so hot and busy you don't get hungry out of boredom! We are staying at Port Orleans, which is great for running from what I have read. I will do that at least once while there! It's funny how you just don't crave junk food after being without it for months. :smile:
  • jonswife0206
    jonswife0206 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I went for a run my first morning on vacation in Florida. By the second day of wearing my Fitbit walking around the parks it was the first and only time of hitting the gym, lol. I walked an average of 22, 000 plus steps a day at the parks, ate reasonably (even burgers)without pigging out on all the junk and came back 2.5 pounds lighter. Have an awesome time !!
  • purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    At Epcot at Disney in The Land pavilion there are a TON of healthy options, so make sure you go there. At universal there are fruit carts in both parks which I have found very helpful. At seaworld, you can get a grilled chicken sandwich at about three different restaurants, and without mayo, plus a side of strawberries, it's low calorie and very filling. There are blogs that offer more in-depth info about food options at every park. The walking definitely takes the edge off of the calorie density too!!

Other than that, bring your own snacks and try to eat healthy when you can. If you can't eat a small portion and don't let it bother you. Disney has fantastic food. You should experience and enjoy it, even if you gain one measly pound ;)
  • dancerbyday
    Options
    If you are planning on fitting lots of fun in, then I think you will be fine on the weight loss. And when there is a healthy food option (which there almost always is), then take that. And it's always ok to take a break from the diet. Just make sure you are still health and weight conscious on that break.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    You walk so much while at Disney that I don't think you need to worry! You will also eat less as you don't have time to eat! I actually lost weight when I went to Disney!
    Have fun!!
  • mary29033
    mary29033 Posts: 11
    Options
    I went with my sister and her kids a few years ago - we would order 2 or 3 lunches and split them among the 5 of us. Many of the items are the same from one area to the next - we found chicken strips and fries on every menu, so I'd eat a chicken strip and a few fries instead of a whole meal. Leaves you room for the Dole whip. Mmmmm. You can always order more if you find you are still hungry.

Lots of walking, definitely. Enjoy your vacation, eat in moderation and you can buckle down when you get back if you gain a pound or two.
  • fatsnacker
    fatsnacker Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    my first trip to Disneyworld last year - loved the parks but my only disappointment was with the choice of food. One consolation, two weeks can't do that much damage to your weight loss plans therefore just enjoy it.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the 3 pages, but I just got back from a trip to Disney and Seaworld and wore my fitbit. I averaged about 25,000 steps per day, about 10-12 miles, and wound up with over 3000 calories a day to eat. (I am 177 lbs, 37y/o, 6'1", ~10%BF). I actually lost weight on accident (maintaining) during the trip.

If you don't go completely crazy, you will be fine - just enjoy the trip and get back to normal the next week. I was eating as clean as I could at Disney aside from deserts (my weakness!) and had a hard time meeting my goals. There were a couple nights that by the time dinner rolled around it was 10pm and I was too tired to eat anything big - I just made sure I hit my protein intake every day and had a few 1000 calorie deficit days.