You burned how much?!

Options

Replies

• mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    I hope this isn't what you consider a negative comment, but I really do not worry about what other people say they burn. It really isn't any of my business. Perhaps they have their calories set very low and need to eat those calories. Are my friends concerned when I say I only burned 1 calorie from 45 minutes of lifting? I just set my calories on the high side no matter what I do.
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    The thing that really bothers me about this thread is the fact that the OP, and any of us, feel it's our place to judge anyone on the amount of calories they do or don't burn while being active. I'm sure the OP doesn't know the weights of the people performing these activities. She also most likely doesn't know whether or not these people are struggling with debilitating conditions and other issues that limit their ability to exercise. Three years ago, due to the effects of Lupus, I was walking with a cane at the age of 27. People with Lupus experience symptoms like extreme fatigue and chronic joint pain, among many other things. When I first started on MFP, I was counting things like "Cleaning", "Cooking", and "Walking" as part of my calorie burns because that is all I could physically do at the time. The fact that I was able to move from the couch and push through the pain and be active was a BIG deal. Six months later, I am over the moon, as today I reached a milestone of having run 3.5 miles for the first time EVER.

So, when I add friends, I don't judge them on what they choose to do for exercise. I celebrate their successes with them and encourage them to work hard for their goals. I don't know how much they weigh and I don't know all of the trials and tribulations they face on a daily basis. All I know is that they are HERE and they are working to get HEALTHY and BETTER their lives. I refuse to minimize their progress and their successes. And, their calorie burns are to be commended, regardless of the activities and exercises they choose. They are doing SOMETHING, and that means A LOT.

PREACH!
  • newmelady
    newmelady Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've never logged housecleaning (and don't intend to), but I will say there are times (for me) when it includes constantly moving heavy furniture and running around like a maniac ;) ~ today as example being as I'm throwing a party tomorrow. And I figure too some surely are wearing a monitor to get a more accurate burn count.

This!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Today I cleaned up the kitchen which was a total mess and it took me two hours. But I did not log it. Instead I did my usual exercise which is not much usually. And this is the reason I enjoy doing house cleaning. :smile:
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Starting a post is just as bad as dealing with my italian family - way too stressful and far too time-consuming to even keep up with.
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    To those who commented negatively (I knew that was coming), it was an OPINION, not FACT. Please, relax. These forums are intended to post your opinions, comments, etc. It's not my business, I was just stumped, curious, etc. RELAX

You included WALKING. That is considered a calorie burn, and (as others have said) it can be a lot less or a lot more than 600, depending on the person! And also, I logged "cleaning" today but that was me, literally, cutting down trees, loading our truck, digging up vines and tree stumps and dealing with the awful task of cleaning outdoors - I am sure I burned OVER 600 calories per hour doing that and did it for 3hrs What i mean is, when you see somebody log "cleaning" don't expect it to mean that they're just doing little things, they could be doing anything! And when someone is 'walking" it doesn't mean they can't burn that many calories... There are so many factors in how you burn calories, that there is no way to consider it unfair or to think that they aren't doing as much work as you did in your "not a beast" workout!

Honestly, worry about your own burns, because it's YOUR burns that matter the most! If some people do "fudge it", so be it... It's not going to affect you in any sense...
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    60 minutes- low impact aerobics- 458 calories
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Why worry so much about what others are doing?

Totally agree.
  • froyojr
    froyojr Posts: 60
    Options
    I'm going to log my hours of gardening tomorrow as well... I hope that pisses someone off. I do things like HARDCORE gardening which includes digging with a spade and pulling out bindweed. I hope it counts for something as I am sedentary for much of the week. :)
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    Options
    I'm going to log my hours of gardening tomorrow as well... I hope that pisses someone off. I do things like HARDCORE gardening which includes digging with a spade and pulling out bindweed. I hope it counts for something as I am sedentary for much of the week. :)

Unfortunately, my point was misconstrued. I'm done with this post. Thank you to those who actually took the time to read it, and to those who consider "taking down trees" cleaning, kudos to you. :)
  • nainai0585
    nainai0585 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    When I am on the treadmill at a brisk walk (4.0) and have the incline set at its highest (and no, I'm not one of those who holds on for dear life, I do it as though I am actually walking uphill), I burn 200 calories in 14.5 minutes. At the 22 minute mark, I have burned 300 calories, and when I am at the 30 min. mark I have burned almost 500 calories. I am currently 170lbs though, but even at 192lbs, I was burning the exact same number of calories - well, according to the treadmill anyways.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    When I am on the treadmill at a brisk walk (4.0) and have the incline set at its highest (and no, I'm not one of those who holds on for dear life, I do it as though I am actually walking uphill), I burn 200 calories in 14.5 minutes. At the 22 minute mark, I have burned 300 calories, and when I am at the 30 min. mark I have burned almost 500 calories. I am currently 170lbs though, but even at 192lbs, I was burning the exact same number of calories - well, according to the treadmill anyways.

This is because the treadmill doesn't actually know... Get a HRM. You may be burning less. You may be burning more. I know when I pump up the incline and go a little faster, my heartrate gets up to my running heartrate pace--and I swing my arms and tighten my bottom just the way I do when I'm pushing the stroller up the hills on our walking trail (of course, with the stroller, I can only swing one arm at a time ;) ).
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I love to see that people are working out or doing some sort of activity, but....I do hate when people say, "I just cleaned HARDCORE" or "I just went on a walk for an hour" and they burned almost 600 calories? I mean, I'm not a beast or anything, when I work out it's only for a half hour at a pop right now and I only burn about 250-270 cals depending. How is it that these people are burning so much? Is it all just too over-exaggerated like I'm assuming it is? To tell the truth, it kinda' irritates me....BTW, please no negative comments, I've seen a lot of them lately. Thanks

so wait, by your logic (math isnt hard) you're also complaining about yourself.

if they bum 600 calories in an hour and you're saying you burn 250-270 in half an hour then arithmetic dictates you would be burning 500-540 calories if you worked out for an hour.. there's not too much of a difference between what you are saying are other's inflated numbers and your supposed correct ones.

are you really getting your panties in a bunch over 60-100 calorie difference? :laugh:

and like others have noted, different bodies burn different rates of calories. don;t consider yourself as what should be the norm

Girl you know math and common sense is the devil!

Especially on this board. Seems as if school was out for quite a few on here.
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    This may piss some people off, and I apologize, but I really don't understand how housework and gardening are exercise. I played 4 full tennis matches today over 5 hours and burned 2107 calories, and I busted my *kitten*. Yes, all people are different and burn calories at a different rate, but really?? How high are you getting your heartrate? You would burn nearly the same sitting on the couch, unless you are extremely unfit. I also know heart rate isn't the only factor, but if you aren't breathing heavier, its not exercise. That's just my opinion. To me its an excuse to eat more food. I have friends that count these things and I don't judge them, I just would never do that myself. When I wear my HRM during real exercise, I deduct 10% from the final calorie count, and if I don't have it on and have to use MFP's waaaaay overestimated numbers, I deduct 30%. I support all my friends and am proud of their accomplishments, doesn't mean I have to agree with everything they do.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    OP didnt get all the "mmm hmm you go girl ^5" reactions she wanted and decided to leave the thread.

i wonder how many calories panty unbunching and de-beeing bonnets burn?
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Speed, weight (including any extra weight like backpacks), terrain, weather, fitness level, whether the upper body is also being involved, efficiency of movement, sex and body composition (men generally burn more because they have more muscle mass), intensity, among many other factors such as activity level (if you subtract sedentary from walking you'll get more exercise calories than if you subtract lightly active from walking).

I burn a similar number of calories doing my laundry as I do walking because it involves going up and down the stairs several times. If I spend 8 hours tomorrow cleaning part of my room (neglected it) it will also burn a similar amount of calories to walking because it would also involve using the stairs a lot and a fair bit of moving about. I wouldn't guess what is involved in a walking calorie burn the same as I wouldn't for a cleaning one because too many factors are involved. I sweat more cleaning than I do walking because it involves more exertion, which is why I'd rather go for an 18 mile walk.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    To those who commented negatively (I knew that was coming), it was an OPINION, not FACT. Please, relax. These forums are intended to post your opinions, comments, etc. It's not my business, I was just stumped, curious, etc. RELAX

And my opinion is that your opinion is ill-informed and poorly constructed. As well as pretty pretentious.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    This may piss some people off, and I apologize, but I really don't understand how housework and gardening are exercise. I played 4 full tennis matches today over 5 hours and burned 2107 calories, and I busted my *kitten*. Yes, all people are different and burn calories at a different rate, but really?? How high are you getting your heartrate? You would burn nearly the same sitting on the couch, unless you are extremely unfit. I also know heart rate isn't the only factor, but if you aren't breathing heavier, its not exercise. That's just my opinion. To me its an excuse to eat more food. I have friends that count these things and I don't judge them, I just would never do that myself. When I wear my HRM during real exercise, I deduct 10% from the final calorie count, and if I don't have it on and have to use MFP's waaaaay overestimated numbers, I deduct 30%. I support all my friends and am proud of their accomplishments, doesn't mean I have to agree with everything they do.

Degrees of cleaning differ. I'll count it if I'm sweating my *kitten* off doing it.
  • dpollet2
    dpollet2 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If you are talking about what is showing on your MFP newsfeed, I wanted to point out that when I log several activities it only shows up as one. I'm sure people think it's funny that I burned 600 calories walking for 30 minutes! Actually I walked 30, ran 30, and did the Shred workout, but it only lists the one.
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    Options
    Speed, weight (including any extra weight like backpacks), terrain, weather, fitness level, whether the upper body is also being involved, efficiency of movement, sex and body composition (men generally burn more because they have more muscle mass), intensity, among many other factors such as activity level (if you subtract sedentary from walking you'll get more exercise calories than if you subtract lightly active from walking).

I burn a similar number of calories doing my laundry as I do walking because it involves going up and down the stairs several times. If I spend 8 hours tomorrow cleaning part of my room (neglected it) it will also burn a similar amount of calories to walking because it would also involve using the stairs a lot and a fair bit of moving about. I wouldn't guess what is involved in a walking calorie burn the same as I wouldn't for a cleaning one because too many factors are involved. I sweat more cleaning than I do walking because it involves more exertion, which is why I'd rather go for an 18 mile walk.

Thank you for explaining yourself, and not coming at me like a bat out of h*ll, excuse my language. What I meant by "cleaning" and "walking", which I see by now that I should have explained (I guess more in depth) was a "light" cleaning and walking. I wasn't talking anything strenuous...when I said "Hardcore" I was exaggerating - so everyone knows, and stops assuming (which still won't stop them from assuming), that's what I meant.
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    Options

And my opinion is that your opinion is ill-informed and poorly constructed. As well as pretty pretentious.

And that is why questions were invented. Ask, don't assume. My wording may have not been "on target", but why be so hard about it