What do you think of fat people after losing weight?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    The biggest issue that I've personally seen is that some become "snobs" to others that haven't lost weight. That because they lost weight, that they on a "higher level" than those that didn't. They'll criticize how others eat, when a few months ago they were eating the same way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 60lbs I am still obese. I would never take your bike because I lift weights and run. Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Oh yeah, I don't judge people. When they have had enough they will do what they need to do to get healthy.
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I think people are people, and there can be SO MANY REASONS that i don't know about for someone to be fat or untidy or dressed strange or acting cranky or whatever that I no longer assume that "If they only did it MY way, or the way I suggest, they'd be right"--so many people have illnesses, pain, financial difficulties, abusive households, personal stress and issues, that it can all add up to suffering that can manifest in a lot of ways--
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I think everyone fights their own battles on their own timeline and for their own reasons.

Other than this, I mind my own.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    It's a reminder to me of where I was, and how unhappy I was with all the excess weight. I don't think any more or less of them than this.

People do not ask me how I've done it (or am currently doing it). Those who really want to know, I've already told them. The rest don't really want to know.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Yeah, now that I 'finally get it', it is very tempting to want to share my new found wisdom with all those I see that are where I was 8 months ago. I mean, if I can do it, why can't they? But I have to be very careful to remember that they are not in the same place I am now, and they will come to change when they are ready.

I personally didn't gain my weight by just being lazy. I had a disabling injury and slowly gained weight over 15 yrs. Sometimes when I hear of someone who eats 8000-10000 cals a day, I feel a bit angry for a minute. I mean, I gained weight on 2000 cals a day. How can someone just gorge themselves like that, day after day, and not care what it is doing to their body? Then I have to remember that we are all dealing with our own demons. No one's sins are worse than my own.

But it is a frequent struggle to not fall into judgment or jealousy. I mean, when that person who gained weight on 10k a day, then switched to 3k a day and lost 300 pounds in a year, I feel first, a bit of jealousy as they made it look so easy, and I have had to work so hard to get to this point. then a bit of resentment that they are showing the world that everyone is obese because they eat like that and are too lazy to do something about it.

But again, I have to take a step back and realize that I don't know their situation, or their struggles. I know it is clique, but all I can control is myself.

But yeah, we are all human and we would be lying if we said we never had any negative thoughts towards those who are considerably overweight and appear to not be willing to do anything about it. It is very easy to forget where we came from.
  • kansasredneckwomen
    Options
    I used to be very thin. Before I gained weight, I had no idea what it was like to be fat, or to watch what I ate. My weight gain was caused by insulin resistance coupled with two pregnancies. I have just recently started to lose weight (like last week lol) now that we have realized that insulin resistance is the issue. I am only about 40 lbs overweight. My husband, however, is considered obese with a BMI of 34. I can see the depression in his eyes when I say "I lost another pound" or "I lost two inches off of my waist". He actually talked about it this morning that he thinks he is doing the same as me but not losing any weight. The thing is, as I explained to him, that I made drastic changes in my life. I do not drink soda, where he does on occasion. I consciously stay away from refined carbs, where he does not unless I say something. The point is that just like his tobacco use, I do not think he wants it bad enough yet. They need support but they have to do a lot for themselves at the same time. I also have an underactive thyroid but am still doing it. Some chronic illness can hinder weightloss, but some also get better with weightloss. As a nurse, I see obese individuals coming in day in and day out wanting another pill for what ails them but complaining about the number of pills they take and the side effects of them. The physicians even tell them, "If you could lose even 10 pounds, you would feel so much better". They just have to find their own motivation!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I think everyone fights their own battles on their own timeline and for their own reasons.

Yeah, I agree also. And people's challenges show in different ways. For some people that means a large weight gain, for other people it is something different. I don't judge another person's challenges because I can't judge what is not my own experience. And I know I've had my own challenges (many). My challenges just didn't show up as weight gain that was noticeable to anyone.
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    Until I go to my grave maintaining at my now-healthy weight, I won't judge.

Because until that day arrives, I could gain it all back again meaning I'm no better nor worse than anyone else who struggles to lose weight.

Quote for the win! :drinker:

I try not to judge, because I'm still overweight. Everyone struggles from time to time; everyone has personal issues, whether it be laziness or a medical condition, etc. What I don't like is when a heavier person consistently complains, but doesn't do anything to change. That person used to be me until I changed my attitude and kicked myself in the butt. I don't necessarily judge by weight, I judge by attitude, I guess. Overweight, content, not complaining? Fine by me. Overweight, unhappy, complaining? Not so fine. When there's a will, there's a way...it may take different amounts of time, but I think a lifestyle change is possible for anyone who desires it. One little step at a time!
  • gypsylouiseporter
    Options
    I have found it rather odd now I am small ( 111lbs ). Fat people look at me funny and almost with a nasty look. I was fat because I ate too much, ate high calorie and didn't move. I live in a country town and I started a small facebook group for weight loss support plus I had my name as "lose weight " on my facebook profile so everybody knows who I am now. Thing is I am rather over being asked how I did it, mainly because when you tell them I ate a calorie controlled diet and sweat buckets on my exercise bike they like you say " glaze over ". I also have found that If I order a foot long subway ( half for my husband ) the fat people stare at me as if to say " you wont eat all that " as they are getting footlongs for themselves. buying a chocolate treat gets a few looks as well. I hate to say it but overweight people can be quite " fattist " against slim people. Maybe anyone reading this who is still losing weight, please don't judge or give looks to slim people, I have been called a " skinny ***** " in jest but I don't find it funny at all, I mean I don't call people a " fat ***** " it is a whole new world being small I tell you.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I agree.
    I got fat because I was just overwhelmed. I had a full-time job and two babies who were both very high needs (then three...then four...) At home, I went from changing diapers to nursing a baby to trying to pull a toddler out of something she shouldn't be into to folding another load of laundry to cleaning up another spill to dealing with a tantrum to dishes...Dinner was whatever I could throw together in 15 minutes. I was mentally drained at the end of the day. And maybe a bit depressed?
    At work, it was 12-hr shifts as a nurse on my feet constantly...lunch was whatever I get whenever I could get it. I just didn't take the time to stop and think about it.

My life is still just as busy. But somewhere along the way, I learned to adjust to chaos and lack of sleep, to juggle and multi-task. It isn't easy. I in no way look down upon others who haven't figured out how to make it all work yet.
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I think you can't tar everyone with the same brush! You have to look at each person individually and can't make a sweeping statement like "everyone who is fat is just lazy"

shes right every one is different like my yes i ate bad but i also was put on meds that made me eat a tone. i couldn't controle myself at all i was a bottomless pit. i walked every where. my mom has crohns it a bowel diesease its ligit she has real health problems now she can't walk a block literaly so say lazy is just ignorant of you op
  • annemw82
    annemw82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I try my best not to judge. Like maybe people on here I am still considered obese even though I have lost over 60 lbs and recently ran a half marathon. But if someone just saw me on the street I probably just look like another fat person. We don't know people's stories just by looking at them. We don't know where they have been or what they have struggled through. As someone who has been overweight since I was about 8 years old I know what it's like to not be in the right space emotionally to lose weight. I was severely depressed for a long time and it was a struggle to just get out of bed much less put forth the effort to exercise and eat right.

Although sometimes when I do see an obese person struggling to do a basic task like walk across a parking lot there is part of me that wants to reach out to them and tell them how much better and easier life is when you aren't 100+ lbs overweight and that they can do it if only they try. But that would be weird, so I keep my mouth shut.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I agree - but think it is more than just laziness. For me, I was convinced it just couldn't happen after years of yo yo dieting with no sustainable success. So, yes, I was lazy, but more than that I was defeated, so why try? We all get there in our own time.

^^^^ this

I think whether or not people get fat is due to laziness... well I suppose that depends how you define lazy, but certainly it's through being sedentary and eating too much for the vast majority.... fact is most people who want to be lean but are like the above post says, just totally defeated. There is so much misinformation and dodgy advice out there, it isn't as simple as "eat less and move more" - if you go about fat loss in the wrong way you do fail, and after repeated failures, who wouldn't start to feel defeated? And people don't usually get good advice on how to lose fat (and nothing but fat) and keep it off for life from their doctors, the advice from the media is about 100x worse then there's all the scams being peddled around, people are being set up to fail, repeatedly, basically so it's no wonder that people are so discouraged and ready to make excuses. And without a background in science, it must be really hard to tell what's good information from what's a scam and what's just plain bad advice.

I got fat due to being lazy and eating too much, but I also have a degree in human sciences which included a lot of physiology and nutrition and that helped a lot in terms of being able to see what's a good exercise and eating plan that's likely to work versus one that's going to starve off a bunch of lean muscle and lead to yo-yo dieting. Fat loss is really not that difficult when you actually have the right advice and information (barring certain medical conditions which make it genuinely more difficult even with the right advice) - but so many people are acting on dodgy information that's just making it 100x more difficult for them in the long term.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this for a long time...

I've lost 60-65 lbs...I'm 5' 11" I wasn't the largest person ever, but the difference is night and day of how I used to look. I went from size 42 pants to 34 (32 will fit, but i like my clothes loose)

Every time an obese person that I've known for a long time sees me...they ask what my "secret" was...

I tell them I try to eat better, I stopped drinking booze and soda, I joined a gym, and I bike ride. I tell them I have a spare bike and they are welcome to join me whenever...

Their eyes glaze over...

Then they proceed to tell me about their thyroid, marketing by high fructose corn syrup companies, their bad back, irritiable bowel syndrome, their hang nail, cooties or whatever other BS, imaginary condition or affliction is preventing them from even making an attempt at eating better or doing SOME exercise.

I know that in my case fatness was due to my laziness...I think the same holds true for %99.9 of fat people...but they just aren't willing to admit it.

This is true. To lose weight a person must really WANT to shed the excess, if they don't have the will, they will never succeed.

Regarding underactive Thyroid sufferers, I am not applying this to you, you have a bonafide medical condition affecting weightloss.
  • rdcphone572
    rdcphone572 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've only lost less than half of what I must lose...so I usually am thinking "There but for the grace of God, go I".

This has and will continue to be a real WORK in progress for me. I know that at any time if I become overconfident or slack off, I will slide back into eating poorly and no exercise. I still have occasional affairs with Mountain Dew if I'm not on point! Everyone has their own demons and everyone must have that defining moment that makes them realize that this is actually the better and easier road for a long, fun life. My true defining moment was watching my Mom's final struggle with diabetes...she was never even huge but her eating and exercise habits were never fantastic either...I know I have to get myself in the mindset that the 30 minutes before work with my treadmill ARE my medicine and are part of my life's work from now on. Insulin wants me to use my muscles and move every day.

Some at work have started to ask me about my weight and if they want to hear, I tell them how I have to blast myself outta bed each day and how I pay attention to what I eat now. I eat most of the same things but with substitutions for lower calories and smaller portions. I loss weight once before (extreme approach that was too much too fast) and I know how easy it is to be a new sanctimonious convert...then fall in a pizza, french fries, and taco ditch for two years...

I don't judge because that would be a judgement of myself. Pretty much the case with all judgements when you don't know all the facts really...I try to stay in the upbeat supportive and encouragement place. The view and the breeze are nicer here!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I think for me, it was a combination of factors. Laziness, on top of medical problems, lead to a downward spiral.

When I first started eating better and working out, I didn't see any results on the scale or in my measurements. It took MONTHS to see anything happen. However, I was starting to feel stronger. It was a very slow process to regain control over my health, but it happened.

It's not easy, and for some of us, it might be harder than it is for others or harder than it used to be when we were younger, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth doing.

Hard work almost always pays off in one way or another.
  • randyfugate
    randyfugate Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Remaining humble, helpful and non critical can be a challenge for me, apparently human failing. I have another 47 pounds to go and that is my focus, however I now feel this compulsion to want to help everyone experience the advantages I have already seen! Being a passionate advocate of weight loss is a perfect outlet for my energy, but doing so in a way that reached non traditional manner is the brass ring.
  • Amy106Days
    Amy106Days Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I was skinny. Not as a kid, I never allowed myself to get fat but I was chubby as a kid and I always was on guard after that to not let my figure slip. I worked hard at it. I kept my figure until I hit 30. I went on a birth control shot that I am pretty certain, now, caused me to be unable to drop weight, I worked out a ton. I ate properly and less than properly (1000 cals for a month at a time), I fasted and cleansed, I busted my tuchas, My weight would stay the same within 3 lbs or just go up, my stomach distended my feet and hands often bloated from water retention and then I would just get sooo discouraged. Doctors said lower your calories, losing weight is harder as we age. I hated how I looked I hated that I couldn't fix it. For me 200 lbs may as well have been 800lbs I wore it badly, my knees hurt, my back ached. I don't know why some folks can lose with a thyroid disorder and some can't and lots of thin women were on my same meds with no issue. I admit that I did want an easy way out, because I had run so many times at the "hard" or "smart" way out and maybe I just wanted to know it was a failure sooner rather than later . In my journey I gave up on myself so many times. I felt like such a loser. I started to over eat massively...I went through several bouts of depression and one day just decided that not getting knocked up and having my cycles regulated might not be worth it and even though the doctors swore my weight loss could not be blamed on my birth control I stopped the meds. A year without that injection and I lost 5 lbs from having a bad cold. It was the first loss I had managed in 5 years and I cried actual tears of joy. I am losing steadily now and my bloating and distention is a thing of the past.

I felt like a failure, like a sloppy lazy idiot. I have never been so helpless. People said to me many cruel and hurtful things when I was fatter. I felt like I deserved being spoken to that way.
    I heard everybody's opinions on what I should try next
    I had my food choices questioned constantly by people just trying to help
    I was told that I should continue with major calorie deficit even though I had no energy and dark circles under my eyes because it would "get easier" and "there were no fatties in concentration camps"

I will never forget this experience. I have grown as a person from my time spent trapped in my own body and I will not hesitate to call out someone being a self important meany again.

Congrats on your success.
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't say laziness in most cases, but i DO agree that a lot of the "conditions" people have are mental. when you are sad, scared, and discouraged, it feels impossible to take charge and make a change. generally, they fall into desperation and attempt a "quick fix" program, only to be MORE discouraged by failure. that always makes me sad...when someone who struggles gives up because their results are not faster than the results of prior unhealthy choices.