Ladies running without a shirt?

Options

Replies

• frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    All I have to say is good for you and your tremendous confidence. That's what I think every time I see a lady in sports bras. I have no confidence, thus, I melt :)
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Once I'm happy with my body, I will legit bodyslam anyone that suggests I cover it up
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    As a mom of teenage boys (and teen girls)...I say no don't run in your bra.
    I also don't appreciate the skimpy swimsuits.
    this confuses me...what do your teenage sons have to do with a woman's exercise clothes or the weather?

I'll try to explain my feelings on this, and not just for teenage boys, but men in general.

I hear (read) on MPF a lot about co-works, friends, family, etc how hard it is when people bring sweets, cakes goodies, chocolate to work, family gatherings etc when everyone knows they are trying to eat healthy and loose weight. That it is really hard to resist those things when they have to walk by them all day long. We all get this right, it's hard, it's tempting you all day long...

Men (at least most men I know) are turned on by women's breasts, that's good, that's the way we were made....but when we flash them in front of men all the time, we are putting temptation in front of them, aren't we making life more difficult for them? We throw temptation in their faces, and then we expect them not to have lustful thoughts...that's asking a lot.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    ^ the main reason why it's tempting because we teach them to sexualize women's bodies.

and we perpetrate that sexualization by imposing double standards about men's and women's bodies as well as having requirements about needing to be a certain level of attractive before a woman can take off her shirt in public.

i think people forget that society isnt some nebulous bubble that exists outside of them. we are apart of it and contribute to its opinions.

so basically the reason why your teenage boys are going to be tempted by women's boobs is because you are helping teach the that they should be.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Men (at least most men I know) are turned on by women's breasts, that's good, that's the way we were made....but when we flash them in front of men all the time, we are putting temptation in front of them, aren't we making life more difficult for them? We throw temptation in their faces, and then we expect them not to have lustful thoughts...that's asking a lot.
    This attitude, when taken to an extreme, is exactly why women in some countries/religions are required to cover their hair, faces, and even their entire bodies in burkas. No thanks.
  • Puffingmuffin
    Puffingmuffin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Do it. I would if I could too. Haha don't get too distracted by random car honks!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    this confuses me...what do your teenage sons have to do with a woman's exercise clothes or the weather?

I'll try to explain my feelings on this, and not just for teenage boys, but men in general.

I hear (read) on MPF a lot about co-works, friends, family, etc how hard it is when people bring sweets, cakes goodies, chocolate to work, family gatherings etc when everyone knows they are trying to eat healthy and loose weight. That it is really hard to resist those things when they have to walk by them all day long. We all get this right, it's hard, it's tempting you all day long...

No, it's really not asking a lot. I don't care what they think, as long as they don't act on their thoughts inappropriately.
    I have zero responsibility for the thoughts/actions of anyone besides myself. Possibly tempting teenage boys is the last thing on my mind when I'm deciding what to wear.

Also, having the human decency to respect another person regardless of what they're wearing and regardless of your thoughts is not at all comparable to passing up a cupcake while on a diet...come on now! :huh:
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    ^ the main reason why it's tempting because we teach them to sexualize women's bodies.

and we perpetrate that sexualization by imposing double standards about men's and women's bodies as well as having requirements about needing to be a certain level of attractive before a woman can take off her shirt in public.

i think people forget that society isnt some nebulous bubble that exists outside of them. we are apart of it and contribute to its opinions.

so basically the reason why your teenage boys are going to be tempted by women's boobs is because you are helping teach the that they should be.
    love your reply, especially this part "i think people forget that society isnt some nebulous bubble that exists outside of them. we are apart of it and contribute to its opinions." Very true!

I also wonder if this lady objects to men not wearing shirts, as it could be tempting to women as well, right? (Also worth noting that not all men are attracted to women/breasts and not all women are attracted to men!)
  • LLCoolBean
    LLCoolBean Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I can't believe someone would even say anything, they're def hating. Its a sports bra, imo that's what theyre for.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I can't believe someone would even say anything, they're def hating. Its a sports bra, imo that's what theyre for.

Right? I always think of that kick @ss soccer player who had a sports bra on at the end when the team won (don't know the details). Fit is sexy!! I see absolutely nothing wrong with running in a sports bra even if I am not confident enough to do it myself. :smile:
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    non Americans must be laughing at us. i wish our fore fathers hadn't been prudes and made us ashamed of our bodies.

Who gives a crap what they think? And you really think they're more progressive?? You don't get out much.

To the OP: wear what makes you comfortable. If it's going to negatively impact your run by making you feel too exposed, don't do it. If it'll make you feel happier, go for it. I do it at the beach, but I'm older than you. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable in the city. Again, it's because of my age. When I was younger, I couldn't care less.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    You know, I hope I never see the day when breasts aren't sexy. I don't want some utilitarian lumps on my chest. I like having a nice rack.
  • dpollet2
    dpollet2 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I saw a woman in the park running in a sports bra and short running shorts the other day, and she must have been at least 8 months pregnant. If she has the cajones to do it, anybody should. I wonder how obese the person that made the comment was?
  • pweaver25
    pweaver25 Posts: 18
    Options
    Go for it…I run naked
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Short Version: Is is appropriate for women who will be on a fairly busy city road to run in a sports bra outside?

The Rambling Vertion
    It was insanely hot here today but I had to get out for a run (thank you delicious banana creme cupcake) I figured the less clothes the easier it would be to stay cool. I live in the city so my runs aren't secluded there is basically no route where I won't be running into people since I live off two main streets that go for miles and miles anyways... Even tho I am running where people are its not like I am parading through a sea of prison inmates in a sequin bra and thong... I had on a pair of running shorts longer than most skirts and a sports bra that covers significantly more than a bathing suite. I'm not doing this because I am vain because I am not in the slights in fact I was bloated as hell' did i happen to mention I also ate two donuts today? And I don't pay attention to anyone or anything in my run Im completely oblivious but someone made a comment today as I was crossing the street (aka pretty much only time I am not zoned out cos you know Boston's drivers and cross walks...can lead to death) not that I really care what random people think but I was just curious, I don't really see why it's an issue but wanted to her your views

Run how you feel comfortable, some people are just prudish and they should mind their own business.

I run outside in a crop top, stick my i-pod on and never hear any stupid comments. They can comment if they are living my life, until then, I ignore them.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

Are you saying we should all cover up lest somebody's son has a lustful thought?

Life is difficult enough as it is, without taking responsibility for everybody else as well.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Men are tempted by women's legs too, but we're allowed to wear skirts above the ankle, and run in shorts. I still don't see the big deal.
  • carchie94
    carchie94 Posts: 45
    Options
    In New York, you can run topless. It'd probably be painful if you're well endowed up there, but it's legal. Cops were actually instructed not to arrest women who do it.

Wear what you want. Ignore the idiots. Especially the oogling teenage boys (and creepy guys) who need to get hobbies and sex lives.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Sports bras aren't exactly enticing anyway, unless you're hungry for pancakes or mashed potatoes. Now, if we ran in La Perla.....
  • dpollet2
    dpollet2 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    So maybe women should start wearing burkas when we run lest your sons have a lustful thought looking at our exposed faces and legs. :grumble: