What do you think of fat people after losing weight?

Options

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I have found it rather odd now I am small ( 111lbs ). Fat people look at me funny and almost with a nasty look. I was fat because I ate too much, ate high calorie and didn't move. I live in a country town and I started a small facebook group for weight loss support plus I had my name as "lose weight " on my facebook profile so everybody knows who I am now. Thing is I am rather over being asked how I did it, mainly because when you tell them I ate a calorie controlled diet and sweat buckets on my exercise bike they like you say " glaze over ". I also have found that If I order a foot long subway ( half for my husband ) the fat people stare at me as if to say " you wont eat all that " as they are getting footlongs for themselves. buying a chocolate treat gets a few looks as well. I hate to say it but overweight people can be quite " fattist " against slim people. Maybe anyone reading this who is still losing weight, please don't judge or give looks to slim people, I have been called a " skinny ***** " in jest but I don't find it funny at all, I mean I don't call people a " fat ***** " it is a whole new world being small I tell you.

This is true. I've been super tiny before, and I actually found it easier to get along with people when I was obese, rather than underweight. I want to get healthy for many reasons, but it certainly isn't to make friends.
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I feel bad for them. I imagine that something has happened in their life to make them gain weight. That was certainly the reason in my case. Others have had weight issues all their life. I dont want to be the one to judge someone for what they are going through. I never thought it was much fun to be kicked while you were down anyway. When they ask what I am doing, I tell them how I am doing it, and tell them how simple it is. When they start to lose interest I simply say' "When you are ready to lose the weight you will commit to it. No one can make you want to do it." I hope that once I reach my goal that I won't forget where I came from, and that I will still be sympathetic to those that are over weight.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I see opportunities. So many people could be healthier and more attractive with some simple changes. Tools like MFP are extremely helpful and available for nearly everyone in developed countries.
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I think of how I used to feel,and feel bad that they probably feel the same way.
    Depressed,self conscious, but also free to eat whatever they please and in whatever
    Quantity. I sure miss that part.
    In the end,they're people too. So judging someone by their weight in a negative way
    Is stupid and shallow.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Until I go to my grave maintaining at my now-healthy weight, I won't judge.

Because until that day arrives, I could gain it all back again meaning I'm no better nor worse than anyone else who struggles to lose weight.

Amen to this. I also sometimes make a silent wish, especially when the person has little ones with them. I wish for them to have the strength and mindset to get healthy and instill healthy eating in their children.
  • ladybird429
    Options
    OP I think this is a mean topic, everyone has their own issues and I try not to judge anyone....end of!
    P.S had to stop My eyes glazing over as your smugness was really quite tiresome
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this for a long time...

I've lost 60-65 lbs...I'm 5' 11" I wasn't the largest person ever, but the difference is night and day of how I used to look. I went from size 42 pants to 34 (32 will fit, but i like my clothes loose)

Every time an obese person that I've known for a long time sees me...they ask what my "secret" was...

I tell them I try to eat better, I stopped drinking booze and soda, I joined a gym, and I bike ride. I tell them I have a spare bike and they are welcome to join me whenever...

Their eyes glaze over...

Then they proceed to tell me about their thyroid, marketing by high fructose corn syrup companies, their bad back, irritiable bowel syndrome, their hang nail, cooties or whatever other BS, imaginary condition or affliction is preventing them from even making an attempt at eating better or doing SOME exercise.

I know that in my case fatness was due to my laziness...I think the same holds true for %99.9 of fat people...but they just aren't willing to admit it.

I have had this happen....they say i wish i could do what you do .....but always have an excuse. I try not to judge them but, i dont feel bad for them when they complain.

However after being so big myself when i see a stranger in the store or whatever i feel bad for them. Wishing i could tell them they dont have to be that way....but i dont ever think badly of them when their cart is full of chips and oreos....they have to come to it on their own....

Even with the million of reasons why they cant....they are still excuses in the end.....
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    OP I think this is a mean topic, everyone has their own issues and I try not to judge anyone....end of!
    P.S had to stop My eyes glazing over as your smugness was really quite tiresome

Agreed. I have a very close friend who has a thyroid disorder and she works out everyday and eats extremely healthy but she can't lose weight. She is trying so hard and she's very depressed about it. You really shouldn't judge anyone.
  • TheNewLorrain
    TheNewLorrain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Many of us have the thousand and one excuses. I do happen to have a thyroid condition but that is not my sole reason for having a weight problem. Plain and simple I was eating wrong and not getting exercise. I haven't lost enough yet to compare with people who are still overweight. I am proud of myself for attempting to be a better me. I know it is not going to be easy but even in the small steps I am getting healthier. And to answer you're question I think that Many want to lose but they have a fear of commitment . I have been down that road which ended up being a "dead end" No more excuses no more side streets. I am taking the Main Street!
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    While I agree that sometimes people have a million and one excuses, I also agree that I never know which ones are valid and it's not my place to judge.

One way to look at it though is it's not necessarily true that they are fooling themselves with the excuses. They may just be ashamed standing next to you, seeing your success, and feel like they need to explain themselves. It may be in that moment of embarrassment when they pull whatever they can out of the air. I don't know if that makes sense, but I would venture to say a lot of people know deep down that their "excuses" are no excuse for laziness.

I'm no where near my goal. I still have 100 lbs to lose, and it's been going SLOWWWW the past few months. So in all honestly I still AM one of those "fat people". Honestly if you and I were having that conversation, I would probably ask you waht you did, and glaze over too, thinking "but I've been working my a&& off, and have only lost 5 lbs in the past 5 months!"

I've tried so many times to commit to the change in the past and failed and just couldn't get it until one day it seriously just clicked. There was no other option and now it's an everyday battle but I am changing my life. I don't know what clicked, it just did. I wish I could press that same button in everyone else, but they have to find it for themselves. :ohwell:
  • lbaileyjohannsen
    lbaileyjohannsen Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I, against my own common sense, have noticed myself feeling less and less accepting of larger people. I think this has much more to do with myself and my own self hate issues than with other people's eating habits. It makes me feel depressed when I see an obese person doing an "obese person thing" (I know what it looks like because I was one for 24 years).

However, I completely disagree with the OP's perception of the "eyes glazing over". I think what you are seeing, OP, is the sense of insurmountable dread that fills them when they think of the true amount of effort required to make a serious change. I encourage you, OP, to enthusiastically endorse weight loss as something that they can definitely achieve. If someone has a 'mentor' of sorts who believes in them it will become a more realistic goal. My sister did that for me, and every time someone talks to me about weight loss, I try my hardest to do it for them too.
  • seamatt
    seamatt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I often walk behind them with a trombone
  • Keiyane
    Keiyane Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Some people loves to have excuses. That's like that. 'Cause they wanna loose weight without making efforts (like most of people, it would be awesome if it was true ^^). And I think people don't like to look like "a lazy person". It's like pride.
    (For me, I don't quite know if hormonal trouble cause this, or if my weight help causing hormonal trouble, and I don't care about ^^)
  • erulasse
    erulasse Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My only issue is with people that then become holier-than-thou about it.
    Congrats on your big loss and of course you should be proud of yourself; but when you show off about every pound you lose to everyone and their dog... You just become a bit of a moron in my eyes.
  • Dawnymaries
    Dawnymaries Posts: 109
    Options
    It might be that for some people, but I have been active my whole life and have always had a weight problem. Emotional/binge eating ftl.
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    Wait, does being judgmental burn calories? If so, you're doing it right, OP.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I think they're jolly.
  • scapalbo
    scapalbo Posts: 19
    Options
    I don't. As I tell my daughters and my student all the time..."You can only worry about yourself. You don't need to worry about anyone else." Also..."you can't know anyone else's story."

I find that a lot of people, after they do something that is hard (lose weight, quit smoking, you name it) apparently think it's OK to put on their judging hats and have opinions about those who haven't gotten there yet.

If they ask how you did it...then tell them...feel free to offer to go bike riding with them...but if they aren't ready to start on the journey yet...then they aren't ready...and all the judgement in the world isn't going to make them ready.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this for a long time...

I've lost 60-65 lbs...I'm 5' 11" I wasn't the largest person ever, but the difference is night and day of how I used to look. I went from size 42 pants to 34 (32 will fit, but i like my clothes loose)

Every time an obese person that I've known for a long time sees me...they ask what my "secret" was...

I tell them I try to eat better, I stopped drinking booze and soda, I joined a gym, and I bike ride. I tell them I have a spare bike and they are welcome to join me whenever...

Their eyes glaze over...

Then they proceed to tell me about their thyroid, marketing by high fructose corn syrup companies, their bad back, irritiable bowel syndrome, their hang nail, cooties or whatever other BS, imaginary condition or affliction is preventing them from even making an attempt at eating better or doing SOME exercise.

I know that in my case fatness was due to my laziness...I think the same holds true for %99.9 of fat people...but they just aren't willing to admit it.

I don't always judge fat people

But when I do, I do it on MFP.
  • royvor
    royvor Posts: 271
    Options
    I can understand how they might feel. I don't judge I empathize. I might think to myself they want to change but the process is so overwhelming and trying and failing has made them weary of ever attempting. But one day, or one moment they will do it and achieve it by starting small because every journey starts with one step at a time.