What do you think of fat people after losing weight?

Options

Replies

• dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their reasons and issues.. For years mine was fear.. Not anymore..

was diagnosed with MS almost 9 yrs ago. I became scared and pretty much gave up on living life. I spent 9 years letting life pass me by and just getting through each day. I sat there watching my children grow up be my eyes with me just being a spectator. I finally hit my low in January of this year. I was tired of just being a spectator in my own life and my kids lives. I happen to hear two of my co-workers talking about a trainer in the office and I got up the courage to ask who, what, and where. Two weeks later I found myself walking into Durniat Strength to train with Andrew. That was the First day of me taking a step to actually start living & being a participant in my life! I have lost t60lb, probably a bit more but I refuse to weigh myself until my bday in April of 2013.
    This past Sept I had a full avolusion of my right achilles tendon, which means it was totally blown. I ended up having surgery 14days later for a repair which included having a donor tendon. which has been weird to think about. I am forever grateful for the person who thought about others in life and in death to donate. Since I had been working out I was/am determined to keep working out. Andrew and Brandon came up with ways for me to work out from the waist up until I could start walking again! I am forever grateful. I have been walking for 8week now and working out from my toes to the top of my head. Because I worked out despite an injury I kept strength loss to a min.
    As I reflect on the last 10-11months I am in awe as to how far I have come. I walked 4 5K's and completed a Warrior Dash in August. WOW!! I went from being stuck in fear to being mostly fearless! I have done things that only in my wildest dreams would I do! I have lost 4 pant sizes. I have gained self confidence and a drive I haven't had since I was a kid. I went from having nay-sayers and no real support group to key people having my back and cheering me on! I am thankful!
    What will 2013 bring? I have some lofty goals. I have a shirt I want to be in by my bday. I will walk the 1st 5k I did again in May and I want to do it faster. I will do the Warrior dash again. I will do a mini triathlon this year probably early fall or late summer. I will recover from my injury and be stronger and better for it! I will gain that elusive self-esteem that I have been lacking for years. I will continue to kick MS's butt. I will continue to refuse to be a victim. TO live LIFE OUT LOUD! These are my goals for 2013! Buckle up! ;)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I'm sympathetic. Been there. Done that.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I feel sad for them, actually. Being fat is miserable.
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this for a long time...

I've lost 60-65 lbs...I'm 5' 11" I wasn't the largest person ever, but the difference is night and day of how I used to look. I went from size 42 pants...

Blah, blah, blah... Bunch of judgemental bull****...

I don't always judge fat people

But when I do, I do it on MFP.

Yeah, 'cause there are like 0 fat people on MFP, duh!
  • skparker2
    skparker2 Posts: 132
    Options
    I agree---all of us humans are lazy by nature. I sure as hell am, even tho I've been trying to lose weight for the past three months.

I think that we all have to not only see that we need the change, not only WANT the change. but we have to be made broken. We need to get to our rock bottom & get to that place where emotionally and mentally we need to change. Nobody ever is really ready.

At times, I'm guilty of thinking that certain people are disgusting, even though I'm overweight myself.

But if they are going at their own pace & trying to better themselves at the gym or outside, I inwardly applaud them. Those people are trying to better themselves and no longer make excuses! And no, I'm not including people who geninuely have health problems. But people who have let themselves go just because they can.

I still see myself as fat but I know I am smaller than others. And I am way heavier than somebody else. We are all different.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    The biggest issue that I've personally seen is that some become "snobs" to others that haven't lost weight. That because they lost weight, that they on a "higher level" than those that didn't. They'll criticize how others eat, when a few months ago they were eating the same way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    this
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have one friends who has repeatedly mentioned to me about how they want to loose weight, get healthier, etc. But whenever I mention going biking or a walk, I get "well I really just need today to get things ready for the week." "I have to figure out my food."

At a certain point, you can only do much. I am totally motivated by people have lost a whole bunch of weight and have gotten their lives back...in a healthy way. I've am in the process of that myself. Something has to happen in that person's life for the light to go on. For me, it was a picture of myself and the realization I would have to go up a jean size. For others, it might be something more serious. Health conditions are a bunch of BS and no excuse for not losing weight. If you can't exercise your lower half due to a disability or injury, you workout the upper half and manage calories. If you have diabetes, you manage it, and exercise and a better diet will help that.

I have another friend that always says "I wish I looked like so-and-so in a a bikini" ...as she's ordering her second cocktail and an ice cream sundae.
  • Thadreamer87
    Options
    My reasons for being over weight are because I suffer from depression and i'm an emotional eater. I'm a food addict. I'm also on meds that don't help my weight that i need to be on and can't get off of. But i'm doing something about it now and I will reach my goal weight. Its only a matter of time. When I get thin I am not going to judge others. I am going to help them if they need it. I won't become a snob like some people who have lost their weight because I know what its like to be heavy and unhappy with yourself.
  • scling83
    scling83 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from but I can't fully agree. It takes courage to believe you can change. Some people take longer than others to find this courage. I'm one of them.
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this for a long time...

I've lost 60-65 lbs...I'm 5' 11" I wasn't the largest person ever, but the difference is night and day of how I used to look. I went from size 42 pants to 34 (32 will fit, but i like my clothes loose)

Every time an obese person that I've known for a long time sees me...they ask what my "secret" was...

I tell them I try to eat better, I stopped drinking booze and soda, I joined a gym, and I bike ride. I tell them I have a spare bike and they are welcome to join me whenever...

Their eyes glaze over...

Then they proceed to tell me about their thyroid, marketing by high fructose corn syrup companies, their bad back, irritiable bowel syndrome, their hang nail, cooties or whatever other BS, imaginary condition or affliction is preventing them from even making an attempt at eating better or doing SOME exercise.

I know that in my case fatness was due to my laziness...I think the same holds true for %99.9 of fat people...but they just aren't willing to admit it.

This is true. To lose weight a person must really WANT to shed the excess, if they don't have the will, they will never succeed.

Regarding underactive Thyroid sufferers, I am not applying this to you, you have a bonafide medical condition affecting weightloss.
    Any medical condition is an obstacle, but you have to overcome it and not use it as an excuse.

By the way, my daughter old was born without a functioning thyroid. I've been told since I found out that she's going to be a higher risk for being overweight. That child had a 6 pack.

But my fatness wasn't caused by laziness, OP. I think your "statistic" is skewed. Hopefully one day they'll do something about it. That doesn't give you the right to judge them for their choices. Just curious, is your high horse obese as well?
  • niightwindz
    niightwindz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm still fat - but I'm working towards getting healthy. I would hate for someone to look at me and think, "Wow, she's fat. She's lazy and is doing nothing about it", not knowing that I'm an active person, eating right, and have lost 20 pounds so far. So just like I don't want people to judge me, I won't judge them. I don't know circumstances so I am in no position to have a generic opinion of fat people.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I think food is soooo tasty and the more processed it is and the more additives in make it even more tasty.

Microwave meals and convenience foods, fast food places on every corner, adverts for food everywhere...OMG why would you not buy into the whole food thing going on?

But IMO it is a choice (not for people that have eating disorders) but for people that are generally over eating and under exercising.

Taking steps to get healthy and lose weight (or gain weight for some) is a choice and luckily no one can take that away.

I have no problem with fat people after I have lost weight, it is their choice.
  • rosah2
    rosah2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    No disrespect intended but to all those who said losing weight is easy; no, it is the hardest thing I have ever done. At 17, I had a 22 inch waist and weighed 117 lbs. Fast forward a few years, marriage, pregnancy, weight gain. I started yo-yo dieting 40 years ago because I didn't know how to lose weight properly. Any time I asked a doctor; I was told eat 1,000 calories a day and you will lose.I ate that way for lots of years and I didn't lose. Two more pregnancies and more weight gain added to what was already there plus a number of times over the years of having to take prednisone for chronic bronchitis and the weight kept coming.

To make a long story short; here I am at age 64 (in a couple of weeks) and obese. I weighed 250 lbs when I started MFP in February. I lost 12 lbs in the first few weeks and since then, I continue losing and gaining the same two pounds, over and over again.

From reading these forums, I "think" what I need to do is add more calories. MFP started me at 1200 calories. My BMR is 1703, TDEE is 2711 according to Harris Benedict calculations. Accordingly, I should be able to eat at a 25% deficit and would need to eat 2,033 calories per day to lose weight. I have been slowly raising calories and am at 1740 now but to be honest, I seldom net that many because I am scared it will make me gain even more. But I am trying and won't give up!

THIS is why it is not easy. I really don't know if I am on the right path to lose weight or not. There is so much conflicting advice that I am not feeling confident that I am on the right path.

As for exercise, sometimes peoples "excuses" are real. I have arthritis in both hips and knees, fibromyalgia, low back pain, daily chronic migraines and at the present time, high blood pressure headaches as well. I try to do some exercise every day, even if it is just 20 minutes on a stationary bike or exercise dvd. It doesn't always happen because some days I am doing all I can to walk through the house to do daily chores. But I am trying and won't give up!

I don't want anyone's sympathy; just don't judge when you haven't traveled someone else's path.
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I think everyone fights their own battles on their own timeline and for their own reasons.

This - 100%.

OP - so when someone questioned you about your weight, or you spoke about it, did you admit you were lazy? Or were you guilty of spewing the same BS you seem to be a bit critical about?

I was fat because I ate too much and did too little exercise. Was I lazy? Yes. I was lazy because I suffer from a severe mental disorder that meant my entire perception of society and the public was skewered to the point where I sat at home like a hermit in front of a laptop drinking wine until I could cry / couldn't feel anymore (they seemed to co-exist in a weird way). I couldn't face the outside other than to be doing something that I THOUGHT made me happy - which was secluding myself in small pubs drinking with a small group of friends. And with the laziness/rubbish eating/over drinking I became physically fatigued, so the cycle perpetuated.

How did I break it? I tried to commit suicide. I knew all the **** I was doing/not doing to myself physically and mentally were could to kill me and they may very well still do - but I've lasted 28 years so far, so I'm going to at least try and make it to 30. I promised myself at 22 that I wouldn't be fat at 30. I've left it stupidly late but it's better than nothing.

Some people recognise they need to lose weight but to not have the capacity to be able to acknowledge it properly, possibly based on the perception that society assumes we ALL need to lose a "bit" of weight (bar a few). Our lives are busy, fast paced, whirlwind of events - it's easy to put off. It's easy to be scared and frightened and upset and fearful - all of these things were in the back of my mind when I started to lose weight properly (I started cutting things gradually with little comprehension). It's also very, very easy to put it off because you are petrified of failing - this was my main issue - I was so scared of failing at something that I didn't START it.

This post is pretty pointless really because it's a personal POV not shared by most, if any, but yes - you CAN lead a horse to water but you CAN'T make it drink. I have a few overweight friends who have asked me how I've lost weight and I don't BS them - I tell them it really has to be a change that comes within, otherwise it won't stick. I firmly believe that if you force yourself to do something against your wishes, you probably WON'T succeed. It needs to be something you WANT to do SO badly it drives you.
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My emotions range from compassion, to anger, to jealousy. I lost 80 lbs. three years ago & have only deviated from that loss by 10lbs. It's a struggle every single day. FOR ME, the initial weight loss was much easier than the maintenance. In the beginning, you have people complimenting you at every turn on the weight loss. You're motivated. You feel great & temptation isn't stronger than your desire to lose weight. But then people get used to you being slimmer. It's expected of you to keep this weight off. And it becomes hard, a year or two or three later. So, ya, sometimes, I get jealous when I see my 350 lb co-worker eating donuts everyday. Or fried chicken and every sweet imaginable. I'm struggling with the temptation to let go & graze with abandon, but I actually have to fight it. I know from personal experience how hard it is to START calorie reduction. But maintaining can be equally difficult.
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    sure, some people have a million excuses, but some people also have legitimate reasons :) You can't know what someone else is going through or what physical pain they are masking :)

I think if you were talking to a thin person who was lazy and never exercised and their eyes glazed over when you talked about having an extra bike and they gave you reasons like back pain, etc you wouldn't bat an eyelash or say they are just making excuses because they are lazy. You probably wouldn't give it any thought because they are thin

I think we all need to judge less and not assume we know how people got to the place they are at now
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I would call it a lack of commitment instead of laziness. If you really are determined to lose or maintain your weight, you will do what you need to do, and keep making changes until you hit upon what works. They claim it's a priority, but it's not.
  • Onestep43
    Onestep43 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I find the premise of this thread very surprising to see on this site. Laziness is a simplistic, and often incorrect, explanation for being overweight. I would think that most people who have dealt with weight issues would understand that. Overeating, like any other addictive behavior, often stems from a unhealthy coping strategy that turns into a problem of its own. Family issues, emotional scars, mood disorders, and our often complex sense of self all come into play.

Do we dismiss the alcoholic as lazy? Are people with major depression lazy? What about people who struggle with anorexia? The list could go on and on.

Perhaps the topic here, "what do you think of fat people after losing weight," has more to do with how people who have lost weight feel about themselves. Remember proverbs, "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall". If we can take our own baggage out of the equation we have a much better chance of really seeing other people. And when we really see each other people, our capacity for compassion grows.
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    op and other who think all fat people are lazy then exsplain holley mangold she lifts way more then you can think of proof

306360-holley-mangold.jpg

next your going to feel sorry for handy cap people and say they can't do anything either google LT. derick carver he lost a leg and he lifts heavey to inspire other. this is the worst topic ever and i feel sorry for you jugdmental people
  • tjham1
    tjham1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Well, I hope I remain empathetic because I used to be one of them.

When people ask me what I'm doing to lose weight, I ask them if they want the long version or the short version.

I will remember this the next time someone asks me!