I wonder if they realise…

Options

Replies

• GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    For my birthday I am driving two states over to a restaurant that sells the world's most perfect cheeseburger and fries...I will eat them with zealous fervor, and I will not feel bad about it. If someone is going to watch me make face love to a cheeseburger and think I am an irresponsible fatass...oh well. I might even smack it on my face a few times.
  • clobern
    clobern Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    1500 calories, I could eat all that and still have another meal or two, awesome!
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Unless someone specifically asks for my opinion on their dietary habits, I operate under the MYOB philosophy.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you're hoping to get out of this post.

1. Maybe they don't care - not everyone is focussed on achieving/maintaining weight loss.

2. Its a special day - one day won't kill them. If they were doing this every day it would be different - but even then their choice.

3. Part of the fun of being in a big office is the birthday treats - no-one is forcing you to eat them, but for others its a welcome break from the everyday.

Are they finishing off with deep-fried Mars bars for dessert?:tongue:

Yes
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with 1500 calories?

You don't know how many these people need to eat a day to stay healthy. Or whether or not they will be exercising later to burn it off.

Where I used to work, it was clear that 1500 calories was a mere snack to some of those people. Most were overweight and sedentary. I honestly think they either had no clue how many calories they were consuming, or that it wasn't really even something they cared to worry about. The pizza would arrive and faces would light up. Donuts would come in and there was a rush to get the best ones. Honest to God, it was like watching kids open Christmas presents. I ate some too, but like a serving, not 4 or 5...

OP, it's good that you DON'T comment. Just keep up the good work that YOU are doing. It's pretty sad to witness, though, so I feel your pain. (Especially since my work is enrolled in a kind of health insurance collective that bases premiums off what your members use the past year. Our rates skyrocketed a few years ago and a rep came in and told us it was mainly due to preventable, weight related health problems. :tongue: I wanted to slap the pizza out of a few people's hands...)
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    No, it never felt like it would get anywhere to point this out to others who aren't my kids or partner etc., but I did read something about in the UK the average office worker woman consumes something like 750+ calories per day in simply 'grazing' on sweets etc. sitting around desks and lunchrooms, specifically 'out of boredom'. That seems really like a bad habit. I forget the source of the article, but it was in the last year--maybe through bbc.co.uk?
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I have been an active member of MFP for about 4 months, long enough for me to realize that it is none of my damn business what anyone puts into their mouth.

As soon as I learned that, MFP became a much less dramatic place.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the only people I care about what they eat is me, my kids and my hubby. I do think about the amount of calories in things and that helps me not eat them. I am at a place that I don't want to over-indulge or even indulge. I don't get the same satisfaction out of eating as I use to.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    For my birthday I am driving two states over to a restaurant that sells the world's most perfect cheeseburger and fries...I will eat them with zealous fervor, and I will not feel bad about it. If someone is going to watch me make face love to a cheeseburger and think I am an irresponsible fatass...oh well. I might even smack it on my face a few times.

Sounds like a damn good time, to be honest.

MY birthday is right before Halloween so I have a long standing tradition of waking up on the 31st, eating cake for breakfast, sitting on my butt playing video games while munching lasagna (my fav), then I head out to work with some cupcakes I lovingly baked the night before, scarf those up with my co-workes, and finally then jumping into whatever skanktastic costume I've gotten that year, heading out and getting plastered while shoving candy in my mouth. I look forward to this day like some people do Christmas and Thanksgiving. I'll be doing it all again this year, though perhaps in a slightly smaller costume than normally.

If someone wanted to turn their nose up that's cool but I'm not going to let anyone rain on my birthday parade. If someone wants to be Lonely McJudgy face they can certainly do that while I make love to my cupcakes and pay them no mind. If they were to come to me and try to lecture me I'd respond with a simple "Bro. Do you even lift?"
  • SueFromRI
    SueFromRI Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Have you ever spoke out and highlighted the error in your colleagues eating habits?

no no no. never tell others how to eat! If they weigh more than you they will be offended and tell you you are fat-bashing. If they weigh less than you, they will insult your size. Don't even give strange looks. If asked, just say looks delicious. Remember, that some people don't want to eat it, but can't resist. Still others can eat whatever they want and not gain weight.

On the fruit basket. YUMM! Will you come to my work?
  • WanderingLass
    WanderingLass Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Then there are the things that people don't have to say, the way people look at you and talk to you. If you're aesthetic you can even say stupid stuff that most people would get made fun of if they said it. It sort of gives you a free pass to do and say whatever without people thinking you're aspie.

NOTHING gives you a free pass to do whatever.

And may I suggest you look up the word respect -- you just insulted a whole lot of people with that last word....you clearly have no idea what it really means.
  • acampbell3913
    acampbell3913 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like this! I have never heard that phrase before! Its great.

Edited : I was referring to the comment "Take care of my own inventory"
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Then there are the things that people don't have to say, the way people look at you and talk to you. If you're aesthetic you can even say stupid stuff that most people would get made fun of if they said it. It sort of gives you a free pass to do and say whatever without people thinking you're aspie.

NOTHING gives you a free pass to do whatever.

And may I suggest you look up the word respect -- you just insulted a whole lot of people with that last word....you clearly have no idea what it really means.

Maybe she's "aesthetic".
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    They could burn some of it off if they dance with the "chicken strippers"
    :laugh: Something like that ran through my mind, also.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    They could burn some of it off if they dance with the "chicken strippers"
    :laugh: Something like that ran through my mind, also.

Me, too. :laugh: Cue: "Let Me Entertain You."
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I like this! I have never heard that phrase before! Its great.

Edited : I was referring to the comment "Take care of my own inventory"

Voltaire said it best: "Il faut cultiver notre jardin." We must take care of our own garden.
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I must say that I recently went through this. My boyfriend's sister's birthday was last week, and while everyone else enjoyed themselves big pieces of ice cream cake, I didn't eat any!! I'm so proud of myself! lol (I know it's not that great of an accomplishment, but any junk food passed by is a small victory for me!)

I know pizza, esp Domino's, can be very bad for people to eat; I still eat pizza here and there. I'm not too worried on the type of food I'm consuming, but the amount of it. Right or wrong, it's what's working for me right now, and I'm proactively working on becoming more efficient with this subject. I think I'm at the point where I'm basically starting out, so I don't want to fully deprive myself out of fear of overindulging...

On another note, I try to avoid telling others how they should eat; I don't want to create hostility or anything. Being healthy is a reward to oneself; no one can do it for you, and no one's guaranteed to listen to you...I know I never did. lol
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,149 Member
    Options
    I know that it can be difficult to see people indulging around you, especially when it happens regularly, and I feel tempted to just go with it. Before I look down at others, I must remember:
    1. Food choices are not moral choices.
    2. Making healthier food choices is a personal decision.
    3. Human behavior is complex, and I, myself, don't always make the "obvious" better choice.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I find it ironic that so many people on here are telling you not to judge others for their lifestyle choices, yet on the forum I see people judging others for what they eat all.the.time, regardless of if some one asked for advice or not. rme

Anyway, this happens at my office all the time. I've commented on it before. Seeing a bunch of overweight women digging into a box of cupcakes is an excellent reminder of why I shouldn't eat those foods.

This is a health and fitness board. Discussing what you eat is expected.

If I started complaining to my coworkers about what THEY are eating, I should be smacked soundly about the head. If they ask me? Then we'll chat, otherwise, it is exactly NONE of my business and totally arrogant on my part to assume I know better.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Today is my birthday. It's also a pretty significant one, I'm 21 as of today. I will not be drinking any alcohol, I will not be going over my calories, I will not be skipping the gym. This *kitten* is life. My body doesn't give a fu€k what day it is. Idgaf what day it is. I count calories on Halloween, thanksgiving, Christmas, my birthday, and every other day of the year. If anything, I'm probably going to spend a good two hours at the gym. You know why? Because I love it. Make a sustainable plan so that you don't feel like you want to cheat or skip workouts. However, some people really don't care about being aesthetic and will just eat crap forever and be lazy. I feel sa
    orry for them.

Aesthetics is purely about appearance. It has nothing to do with health, laziness, fitness or anything other than outward appearance. I am glad that you are passionate about what you are doing, but saying you feel sorry for people who don't care about aesthetics is immature IMO. You are not even 21 yet! There are more important things in life than appearance.
    Well technically I'm 21 as of 10 hours ago so idk why you're saying I'm not 21 yet. Aesthetics aren't the only thing in life that matter but it's made a huge difference in my life. Just through day to day life people treat you differently. Of course there are the obvious ones like people at the gym asking for tips and advice but there's much more than that. Last week I was walking over to my therapy group and it was hot out so I took my shirt off and some girl comes up to me and asks about my diet/exercise. Then there are the things that people don't have to say, the way people look at you and talk to you. If you're aesthetic you can even say stupid stuff that most people would get made fun of if they said it. It sort of gives you a free pass to do and say whatever without people thinking you're aspie.

You keep using the word aesthetic, yet I really don't think you know what the word means. Aesthetic simple means appearance. IT IS NOT A WORD THAT DESCRIBES A CERTAIN LOOK! Someone can be aesthetically pleasing to the eye, aesthetic can also mean a not so pleasing appearance, but one can not just be aesthetic.

Plus looks will only get you far and no it doesn't give you a free pass to act any way you want.