Do you count coffee as water?

Options
What do you think is the best practice when counting glasses of water? Count water only, or count any liquid(such as my precious coffee) towards your water?

Replies

• jimwilson825
    Options
    Great minds think alike! I was wondering the exact same thing - how are we, or do we need to account for coffee? I drink mine black - no cream, no sugar.
  • DancesWithDogz
    DancesWithDogz Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm a coffee drinker to - I would use "2 coffees' only as water - the rest, pure water....
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Coffee drinker here and log them seperately. Would like to hear what others do.
  • GeeGirl82
    GeeGirl82 Posts: 32
    Options
    I count all water as water. That includes coffee, tea, flavored water or plain water.
  • cuttingshadow
    cuttingshadow Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I log black coffee, milk (whole milk) and sugar added separately into snacks to capture the calories. Also, yes I add that to water consumed per cup.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    no
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    I LOG WATER WITH F OOD ANYWAYS NOT AT BOTTOM- COFFEE IS NO T WATER
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    COFFEE HAS TWO CALORIES
    WATER HAS NONE
  • cuttingshadow
    cuttingshadow Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    COFFEE HAS TWO CALORIES
    WATER HAS NONE

Also, any sugar added might add extra calories. Around 15 calories gained if one teaspoon sugar used per coffee. Creamer or milk will add extra.
  • dazydawn
    dazydawn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Coffee (or is the caffeine?) is a diuretic, so I think you actually have to drink extra water to compensate. Other than that, I think any liquid counts as "water". The point is to stay hydrated. IMO water is considered better because it doesn't have any calories, sugar, etc. and it helps flush out the cells. But, I've read articles that say high water content food counts as well for keeping hydrated: like melons and soups and depending on the food, the antioxidants will help clear out toxins as well. How you would add that into water intake, I don't know.

Of course, I have a hard time getting enough water in, so if I am wrong please let me know because I would LOVE to count my coffee as well, especially if it means I can drink more. LOL!
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

First of all, people should feel comfortable asking whatever questions they want, new or repeated as they might be. This journey is hard enough as it is. I believe that if the question is annoying to you, skip and move on to a question you haven't read over and over.

Secondly, coffee is not counted as water. Only count water as water (including flavour infusions such as MiO and Crystal Light).

Because coffee will actually dehydrate you, it has the opposite effect of water.

Hope this helps!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I log any see-through, decaffeinated, zero calorie liquid as water. I add splenda and milk to coffee so it is logged as coffee. When I drink decaf iced tea, it is logged as water.
  • lblert
    lblert Posts: 55
    Options
    I used to see a registered dietitian weekly for several years. She always said that anything non-caffeinated (milk, broth, Crystal Light, etc.) counted as a water serving, but that caffeinated sodas and coffee did not because of the diuretic effect.
  • kristi5224
    kristi5224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I count water as water, and ice, which is is frozen water. Not coffee, not tea, not light beer. I am am all for those beverages, but if your going toto trouble of counting water, count H20.
  • eversosquidly
    eversosquidly Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm under the belief that when something changes the composition of the water (i.e. coffee, tea, crystal light, etc), it's no longer water. But everyone is going to believe whatever they want to. :)
  • juliannorton1000
    juliannorton1000 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If its not straight water, I don't log it.
  • supermel_69
    Options
    I guess it would depend on the reason for asking. Are you trying to look at it from a hydration point of view, because then as others have stated non caffeinated, no calorie drinks can count. But if you are looking from a health perspective, then no. But as it was also said it's up to you what you choose to do, personally I would say keep it simple stupid. If you are logging water only log water not things with water in them.
  • kajungrill
    kajungrill Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    nope
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Yes. The diuretic effects of caffeine are negligible. Your body will use it as water so you should count it as water.
  • geckospot
    geckospot Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas have no calories either but they should be listed separately.