Do you count coffee as water?

Options

Replies

• wmstormvet
    wmstormvet Posts: 145
    Options
    The only thing you should count as water, is water!
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Please stop saying that coffee deydrates. It's a myth that was debunked a while ago but boy does that pesky thinking persist.

From the Mayo Clinic:

It is true. Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day.

It. Does. Not. Dehydrate. You.

^This times infinity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    Yup
  • ILuvMoo
    ILuvMoo Posts: 41
    Options
    do you log your ketchup as tomatoes?

If you're logging coffee (no calories), and also logging the sugar and cream you added to it, and taking credit for that many ounces of water all in one fell swoop... that seems no different to me than logging each individual ingredient of the ketchup one at a time instead of lumping it all into a single "ketchup" entry. And I see no reason why it should be substantially different.

Not that anybody would do it with that example, but that's how you generally enter homemade dishes, yes? You enter each item from the recipe and then scale down based on what portion you ate of the finished product?

The water counter is kind of its own thing on your log. It's not a choice between "count as water" OR "log the calories". You could do both.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I do. Your body takes hydration from everything you eat and drink.

I log water, tea, coffee, pop, etc as water ... I am on average three times above the 8 glasses guideline.

Coffee doesn't contain anywhere near enough caffeine to dehydrate you unless you are drinking more than a pot a day. Diet pop doesn't contain enough sodium to dehydrate you.
  • xtrasmall
    xtrasmall Posts: 66
    Options
    nope usually not
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    How many times are we going to have the same question asked, Water is water pure and simple. Just because one uses water to make coffee, tea, add to juice, soup etc, does not make it water. I have never seen coffee, tea etc comes out of the water faucet.

If one wants to use tea, coffee etc as their water thats between them and the scale which does not lie. I log water as water and my scale does not lie.

super rude. i found this water question really helpful and was very disappointed to see such a snarky reply to it. its this kind of thing that makes me nervous to post my questions.

What's rude about it, water is water pure and simple. There are too many touchy people on here that is looking for an easy way out to lose weight. This water debate does not even warrant a discussion, but it comes up every few days, because some people cannot/and will not drink water and they want the sensible ones on MFP to tell them that tea, coffee, cocoa etc is water. Water is water, when something else is added, it changes everything.
  • GypsyPirate
    GypsyPirate Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    No. Coffee is no longer water. Water is water. Water with something in it is not water.
  • sauci
    sauci Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I count separately. I drink A LOT of tea so i have to count the cals in milk etc. I usually have a water at the same time. I spend most of my working day in the loo! lol:blushing:
  • FluttershySweetie
    FluttershySweetie Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Caffein dehydrates your body so no it does not count as water, its not my opinion, its fact. Look it up. Most dieticians and nutritionists recommend every cup of coffee to drink an additional cup of water.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    The caffeine in coffee counteracts the hydration effect of pure water. Therefore, I do not count it as water. If you use Mio or other falvored drops in your water, that would still count IMHO. But to each their own!

Edited to add: While the diuretic effect may be minimal, it is still not water. I log all of my non-h2o beverages in a a separate group for accuracy.
  • adriana_hackney
    adriana_hackney Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I love my coffee and thankfully I prefer it black. I don't log it as water though. I only log water as water. I guess it would just be about personal preference on that one.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    do you log your ketchup as tomatoes?

I love this one.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    NO! coffee is not water! are u okay? If there is something u drink ALL the time, for me that is diet mountain dew, u still need to drink water!
  • kingtermite
    kingtermite Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Secondly, coffee is not counted as water. Only count water as water (including flavour infusions such as MiO and Crystal Light).

Because coffee will actually dehydrate you, it has the opposite effect of water.

Hope this helps!
    ^^^^^ THIS
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    How about this? If the molecular formula of whatever your drinking deviates from a combination of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom, it's not H20.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Caffein dehydrates your body so no it does not count as water, its not my opinion, its fact. Look it up. Most dieticians and nutritionists recommend every cup of coffee to drink an additional cup of water.

There are a lot of articles and studies out there that unless you are drinking a pot or more of coffee a day it is still hydrating to your body. A cup of coffee does not dehydrate you.
  • brownshuga30
    brownshuga30 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    nope
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Secondly, coffee is not counted as water. Only count water as water (including flavour infusions such as MiO and Crystal Light).

Because coffee will actually dehydrate you, it has the opposite effect of water.

Hope this helps!
    ^^^^^ THIS

No, not this. Coffee does not dehydrate you.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    Why does it have to be one or the other? You can log it as coffee, juice....etc., for the calories to be accurate but also log it as water for the fluid to be accurate. And I agree that all fluid should count at least that's what I've been told by my doctor.