Why do people hide their food diaries on here?

Options

Replies

• holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Who the **** cares ,that's their business

Exactly. Don't they have enough friends to share with for help or do they just want to be snarky. I don't get why this subject keeps coming up. And for the last tme, I'm not lying to myself or anyone else if I eat too much junk on occasion. It happens self righteous so-and-sos.
  • kaylerrr45
    Options
    This is the whole reason most of us signed up for MFP - our own, private, personal eating and self-accountability wasn't working.
    i know this wasn't/isn't true for me and i don't know that it'll be true for most.

the tool itself is a HUGE draw for me. i imagine it is for others too.
    you just tap in your meals and *CLICK* you instantly know how much protein you're eating, whether you get enough fibre or (in my case), with the 'reports' function, what impact hormones have on appetite during the month.

the message boards are full of all manner of interesting things, problems, pictures, funnies.

i think you're making a leap too far there.

^^Yes!

I joined MFP from a different calorie counting website because the database was better and the settings are more user friendly.

I had my food diary set to open until I got several unsolicited messages about how I was going to die/end up skinny fat/never lose any weight/develop an ED/give other people ED because I ate 1200 calories/day. Give me a break. Since I've had it closed, no more nasty messages = win.

If I ever need help (unlikely at this point), I will be sure to open my food diary, until then, it's just a tool to help me track my calories/macros.

This is why I said if there were less non-constructive criticism, more people would have their diaries open.
  • DaneDillinger
    DaneDillinger Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    There are 2 official reasons:

1. What I eat doesn't make you *kitten*.

2. What you eat doesn't make me *kitten*.

That is all.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Because the diary police are lurking everywhere... and pounce when least expected to hurt feelings and make people feel even worse than they already did...
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'm a fairly private person, and the idea of some random stranger perusing my food choices is a little creepy to me. My diary is open to friends, though.
  • EnviousDan
    EnviousDan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I thought hidden was the default setting? I know I had to unlock mine manually BECAUSE I wanted people to comment and call me out if I slipped up.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    They do it to avoid judgments from the uninformed.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Because it's none of your business what I eat.

My friends.....I don't care if they see.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    I keep mine closed because theres so many different opinions out there, I will always be wrong. I eat about 1600+ calories and I eat back most of my exercise calories... but to some thats too much... and to others thats too little. And to some I am eating way too many carbs ( I eat 50% carbs per my nutritionist.) To some I eat too clean and am depriving myself, and to others I'm not eating clean enough. I don't need advice from every Tom, ****, and Harry who thinks that they are geniuses because they lost 2lbs telling me what I need to eat. I don't ask anyone for advice regarding diet on MFP, I research it myself.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of McDonald's and Wendy's, bacon and melted cheese so that's why I hide mine. True story. How I eat is working for me, I don't need the diary police to critique my choices.
  • lawmaria
    lawmaria Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    because its only for my use. why does everyone want to know what im eating. i dont check anyones diary either. not only that its annoying when someone comments on what your eating..can you eat that your on a diet. i can eat whatever i want if i chose and im not on a diet. i have dealt with comments at work for years and its annoying i wanna say mind your own "F" in business. so i think i just carry that on to mfp.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    This is the whole reason most of us signed up for MFP - our own, private, personal eating and self-accountability wasn't working.
    i know this wasn't/isn't true for me and i don't know that it'll be true for most.

the tool itself is a HUGE draw for me. i imagine it is for others too.
    you just tap in your meals and *CLICK* you instantly know how much protein you're eating, whether you get enough fibre or (in my case), with the 'reports' function, what impact hormones have on appetite during the month.

the message boards are full of all manner of interesting things, problems, pictures, funnies.

i think you're making a leap too far there.

^^Yes!

I joined MFP from a different calorie counting website because the database was better and the settings are more user friendly.

I had my food diary set to open until I got several unsolicited messages about how I was going to die/end up skinny fat/never lose any weight/develop an ED/give other people ED because I ate 1200 calories/day. Give me a break. Since I've had it closed, no more nasty messages = win.

If I ever need help (unlikely at this point), I will be sure to open my food diary, until then, it's just a tool to help me track my calories/macros.
    i've never been on a diet or counted calories before and i only chanced upon mfp while searching something for my sister. my weight has never been a problem but i'm still hooked on tracking now. it's fascinating stuff!
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    Options
    I don't need advice from every Tom, ****, and Harry who thinks that they are geniuses because they lost 2lbs telling me what I need to eat. I don't ask anyone for advice regarding diet on MFP, I research it myself.

BAHAHAH! I remember a thread EXACTLY like this (the person had lost a whopping 2 pounds in like... a year and was offering advice on how people were doing it all wrong...)

It was quite comical. :-P
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Because I rather not have people telling ME what I should or shouldn't eat because I don't eat like them.

If I am having trouble with my diet and not losing, then I would open my food diary up to friends and ask them. But honestly, unless I ASK, it is no one's fooping business what I eat as long as I am still losing and staying within my goals.

I also don't undereat either. I eat between 1600-1800 NET calories. But what I do eat probably would make some people flip their chet and find something to tear me down about.

MY journey. MY food. If I am losing, what does it matter to YOU.

Hey that kinda ryhmed....lol
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Because it's none of your business. It is open to friends only. People are too freaking nosy.
    fresh-prince-mind-yo-business-o.gif
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if anyone on here can see my food diary? Can you check?
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    Options

Nope. Private.
  • nekoxvampyx
    nekoxvampyx Posts: 163
    Options
    It's called a Diary! last i checked diaries we're for your own eyes only.
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Nope. Private. Ok Thank you very much!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Just did, it is hidden