Banana Sandwiches

Options
124»

Replies

• pbkfit70
    pbkfit70 Posts: 38
    Options
    OK I live in UK and it's just straight bananas for me, no additions, just mashed direct onto the bread ...yum
    Pat
  • linda0429
    Options
    All this talk about banana sandwiches, I gave in for breakfast this morning. Boy was it just as good as I remember. My mother was from Arkansas and told us a children that this was Elvis Presley favorite sandwich. I did not know that he liked his grilled. Here is the recipe i found on the internet.

Elvis Presley's Grilled Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich

* 2 slices of white bread
    * 2 tablespoons of smooth peanut butter
    * 1 small ripe banana mashed
    * 2 tablespoons butter
    Spread the peanut butter on one slice of bread and the mashed banana on the other. Press the slices gently together. Melt the butter (or to be truly Elvis-like, melt bacon fat!), over low heat in a small frying pan. Place the sandwich in the pan and fry until golden brown on both sides. Eat it with a glass of buttermilk.

Please note: Elvis tended to eat 12-15 sandwiches a sitting! So belly up!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    love the suggestions, im gonna pass on to me partner, she keeps trying to get me into banana sandwiches
    giggle...not sure why but this made me giggle guess I'm picturing her trying to lure you into the banana sandwich... Been a long day:blushing: :wink: :laugh: :tongue:

For lunch today I had a Maranatha Natural Organic PB (plug for the yummiest PB ever! :smooched: ), nanner, Pita, and it was yum! Had it with a Pear on the side, no mayo.:sick:

I've heard of this creature some of you call a nanner/mayo sandwich:ohwell: , I don't think I could even try it, it doesn't sound discusting, just frightening! bwwwwwwhahha :wink:

But glad some of you found a fun way to eat your nanners:drinker:

Always great fun to learn others traditions around the US and outside the US, haven't read all the posts but has anyone outside the US jumped in and mentioned they eat them?

My Mum who was from England ate butter and sugar sandwiches for tea in the afternoon, they were considered quite the treat. Cucumber sandwiches as well, always cut in in 4 triangles of course (no crust). :drinker: Iceberg lettuce sandwiches with Mayo (Miracle whip) I grew up eating (NO iceburg for me anymore, only dark greens:wink: ), YUM-O!

Ok, nuff sandwich talk, interesting thread:tongue::flowerforyou:
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    peanut butter, banana, and honey. YUM. Wisconsin
  • sharmonesq
    sharmonesq Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Ok, not exactly on topic, but the Elvis post brought this to mind. A coffee shop here in town has a drink called an "Almost Elvis". It is so good. They blend ice chips, fat free plain yogurt, peanut butter, banana, flax seed, and honey. I sometimes ask them to add protein powder for me and call it breakfast. They also have a less healthy version with brown sugar and whip cream. Wow, it's amazing.
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    Never had this. But I would like to try it sometime. Wasn't peanutbutter and bananas Elvis Presley's favorite?
  • booch221
    booch221 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Whipped Peter Pan peanut butter has 30% less calories than regular PB.
  • booch221
    booch221 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Wasn't peanutbutter and bananas Elvis Presley's favorite?

An Elvis sandwich or the Elvis, consists of toasted bread slices with peanut butter, sliced banana, and fried bacon. Honey is sometimes included. The sandwich is frequently cooked in a pan or on a griddle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut_butter,_banana_and_bacon_sandwich
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Options
    I love peant butter and bananas!! If I make it as a sandwich it has to be on cheap white bread; it's just not the same otherwise. Sometimes I'll toast the bread, but if I do, I have to put jam on it, too. :)

I'll sometimes warm up peanut butter and dip my banana in it for a snack.

But my favorite? Peanut butter, margarine, american cheese on cheap white bread. My grandma used it make it for me when I was a kid, and it's still my number one comfort food!
  • psarah
    psarah Posts: 84
    Options
    I love banana, mayo, and PB sand! Yummy!:tongue:
  • princessorchid
    princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Not a sandwich, but I like to put sliced bananas in korma curries - goes v nicely with the creamy coconuttiness! Not had one in ages though.

Strangest place i've seen a banana was on a pizza in Amsterdam. Still to this day I'm not sure it actually happened. I may have been very drunk...
  • beechgurl63
    Options
    I'm from NE Florida, and I like PB & banana (sliced)...also, I used to eat PB & Miracle Whip, but that was when I was a kid, haven't had that in years!!!
  • ♥jewelchristian♥
    ♥jewelchristian♥ Posts: 3,666 Member
    Options
    This thread started a craving for me that lasted for 2 days before I gave in to it - toasted cinnamon raisin bread, butter, peanut butter (crunchy) and sliced banana. High in calories and everything else - but oh so worth it, once in a blue moon! :heart:
  • Van3ssa_2468
    Van3ssa_2468 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Banana and peanut butter on toasted bread, yes!
    I never heard of mayo with it......at first I was like, yew! But then I read a post on here that
    mentioned mayo, cheese and banana on bread....now that sounds good! It was the cheese that sold me...lol
  • ChristyDPierce
    ChristyDPierce Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    LOL! It must be a southern thing....I LOVE MAYO (BAMA) AND PB WITH BANANAS ON BREAD!!! I am from Hueytown, Alabama....lol...I have loved it all of my life....my husband cringes....but he doesn't like Mayo at all.... :drinker: so cheers to Mayo, PB and banana sandwiches!!!