Why do people hide their food diaries on here?

Options

Replies

• AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Could it be because every form of "diet" on here is attacked by at least one person around here?

Also - I've have a few friends who would consume under 1000 calories and I would say something. Suddenly their diary is private - so I feel a lot of people eat way too little who have it private.

In the end - why does it matter. You're here for you and to make your self better.Stop being such a nosey nelly and let them do what works for them with out your judgement.
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    It is no ones business what I eat really. Plus I tend to miss days of logging. Sometimes I miss logging a meal here and there. I really don't want people judging me based on that. I can't always get to my computer and my phone keeps messing up so my app doesn't work as efficiently as it should (keeps messing up my meals!)
  • LisaMfit4life
    LisaMfit4life Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy and I personally believe that a diet is personal. I don't need opinions from other people on my progress. I'm in challenge groups on facebook with a few individuals and that is what matters to me as far as success/failure. I have other ways of being accountable.
    Lisa
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    My favorite is people who want help with the diet and/or overall weight loss and have their diary locked. Well, how in the world can anyone tell anything about you without even smidgeon of information?

This I can understand.

Mine's private because I'm really here just for my own convenience. I like that this system lets me log my calories from any computer with an internet connection. For a long time, I've been maintaining with either a little notepad I had to bring with me or an excel spreadsheet that I had to make sure to e-mail back and forth between my house and my office. I also like that I don't have to dig much in order to find the information for many restaurants. The fact that this system allows me to have my dietary and exercise information side-by-side is another plus. I'm not here to show off in front of or be reviewed by others.

However, when I did ask for help (I was asking for people to see if my calorie goal calculations were accurate) I made sure to provide the relevant information in that post.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I worry if people notice the pattern of the food I eat and figure out where I live, then they would poison my food supply.

Mine is open to friends and they know which days I go over and which I go negative. Also, got tired explaining to people why I don't eat breakfast, cause apparently you have to eat breakfast even if you are not hungry.
  • ediths6
    ediths6 Posts: 72
    Options
    mines closed becasue i log my bathroom habits after lots of stomach issues... so i dont need people to see if i had a good bathroom day or painful one things like that
  • Lady_Chilli
    Lady_Chilli Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    So they can cheat in peace and quiet loooool!
  • tab0423
    tab0423 Posts: 32
    Options
    Perhaps because there are far too many judgmental people on this list and this journey can be difficult enough without demeaning comments, just my humble opinion.:wink:
  • rlwaldie
    rlwaldie Posts: 5
    Options
    Because if people are judgey enough to judge me on the privacy settings of my account, I can only imagine how judgey they will be with what's inside the diary.
  • kayaksara
    kayaksara Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If people are interested in what I am eating because of our ages are similar or we are the same weight or eat the same amount of calories, they can friend me. No problem there. Why anyone else wants to know what I am logging is beyond me. Most are probably dissapointed in the fact that I don't cook more than an egg and eat the same things everyday. :)
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to the public if anyone cares!! If someone does not want to show theirs, who cares?!? Stop being so damn judgmental. :wink:
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Because I've heard of incidents where a random stranger on here will send someone a message critiquing and criticizing their diary when they don't know/have never spoken to them. That's very odd to me. My diary is open to my friends but I don't believe it's anyone elses business. If I were to start a topic saying, "Help me figure out what to eat to lose weight" then I would publicly open it so those people could help me. But I've lost 20 pounds on my own and at this point don't need critiquing, especially from strangers. If you're on my friends list, that's fine. Offer me advice.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Its really stupid.

Why are people like that on this site and accepting friends?

Diaries are an inspiration lol

I had a french toast slam at dennys, was around 800 calories. Are you inspired?

Uhh.. YES I AM!!, her are several ways to be inspired by that!

1. seeing that you can eat awesome food like that for example AND still lose weight is inspiring and I would copy for sure!!
    2. it could inspire me to try and duplicate that at home for less calories
    3. if I always go to a fav restaurant and my french toast there are more like 900 cals, then you inspired me to go to Denny's instead!

Note: I already made a previous post on here explaining why I have my profile and diary open to friends :), also a really funny link to youtube lol!

Then you are welcome to friend request me. I will probably confirm and you can see all the salty sugary details.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Nothing is "hidden". Like many things in my life, I share it with my friends. My friends understand my goals, my approach and my challenges. I don't want or need to share what I eat and how I exercise with the world wide web.
  • heytherelameman
    heytherelameman Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    What a range of answers! I keep mine closed because I don't think it's anyone's business...and because that's the default.

I have been thin and I have been fat (and still am, lol). During my entire life, I have been shamed for eating too much, eating too little, or because of what I eat. I even have my baby book that says "Little Heather just eats and eats." I keep my diary closed to avoid judgement from anyone on what I've eaten that day.

I would be open to showing how many calories I consumed/exercised/netted if that were an option, but that's it. A big KUDOS to the people who show theirs.

It takes a lot for people to come out of their shell on here and admit that they need help. The last thing they need is someone coming along with a "Why did you eat that? Don't you have any willpower? You are so gross!" to drive them right back into their shell again.
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed cuz i know colonel sanders recipe, and its listed in my notes;)

:laugh: win.

Mine is closed at the moment because I wasn't logging honestly before; I broke my good habits when I had surgery, and didn't want to "admit" that I was going over by several hundred calories. As a result of closing my food journal, I actually started coming on here for myself more; now that I'm logging honestly, I see MFP as a genuine tool to help myself as opposed to just a social site. The thing that surprises me is that, now that I'm logging honestly, I've actually started eating better and sticking to my calorie goals. I was afraid that by closing my diary, I would stop logging or continue lying to make myself feel better - but the thing that'll really make me feel better is losing this extra weight and getting in shape, and closing my diary helped me focus on that.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering why is it such a big secret what someone is eating...Why do people hide their food diaries on here? Any answers?

I didn't go out of my way to 'hide' mine. When I started I didn't understand the whole setting stuff and just never went back to change it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Mine is set to private because I don't log anything or count calories.

Then why are you on this site if you aren't here to log anything or count calories?

I am guessing because they can. I didn't join here to count calories, I have been maintaing through intuitive eatimg for 2 years. I joined here to log exercise and monitor my weight and measurememts. I like the way this site is set up more than the one I was a member of.

You just said that you use it to "log" your exercise. So you are a member here so you can log something.

I log my exercise and my food, but I stay on MFP because I like to play on the forums. The day our IT department blocks the forums is the day I'll likely leave MFP.
  • cindylu35
    cindylu35 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I suppose using the open diary setting allows for people to see what they ate and GIVE THEM SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT! I've seen many people have their diary settings open and constantly use "quick calories". I usually assume that means cake. LOL I never say anything bad or negative though because it's probably NOT cake. :laugh: What they eat IS their business and if they want to be honest with themselves and their SUPPORTIVE friends on MFP, than I say it helps utilize one of the main purposes of MFP.

I also have friends who have closed diaries.....which it's nice to see them lose weight, but no one knows HOW they're doing it. :P More difficult to give personalized support and kudos like "great job on portioning today!" or "hey, it's only 10 calories over!"

Either way, it's good for anyone who is on here to lose weight and be healthier, whatever their method! :flowerforyou:
  • KimLee76
    KimLee76 Posts: 89
    Options
    Why closed to public?
    My Web footprint is big enough already. I was doing good to even post a pic on here.

Why closed to friends?
    That's only temporary until this contest I'm participating in ends in a couple of weeks. Because I have never felt inclined to justify what I eat and know I do not respond positively to nagging, I decided to eliminate the critique of my "low calorie/high activity" diary until the contest ends.

That being said, I do enjoy browsing the diaries for meal ideas in much the same way I enjoy watching The Food Network. However, I only give unsolicited feedback if I want the recipe for something that looks good.