Why do people hide their food diaries on here?

Options

Replies

• aTallLiam
    aTallLiam Posts: 75
    Options
    Oh damn, now I really wanna see your diary.... :mad:
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I flaunt my food! :) Some choices are clean, some just aren't. Point is, I love my food choices and I don't mind sharing. I can understand not wanting to share though. Everyone has their own feelings about it.
  • NatureChik1985
    Options
    Mine is set to private because I don't log anything or count calories.

Then why are you on this site if you aren't here to log anything or count calories?

I am guessing because they can. I didn't join here to count calories, I have been maintaing through intuitive eatimg for 2 years. I joined here to log exercise and monitor my weight and measurememts. I like the way this site is set up more than the one I was a member of.

To answer the original poster, I just joined and don't count calories so I will keep it to default private. If I ever did start counting again it would probably stay private after reading this thread.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I do friends only. I don't consider that hiding I consider that friends only.

:drinker:
  • aTallLiam
    aTallLiam Posts: 75
    Options
    Lol I don't care what people think.
    Take a look at mine, if you want. Doesn't bother me.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Its really stupid.

Why are people like that on this site and accepting friends?

Diaries are an inspiration lol

I had a french toast slam at dennys, was around 800 calories. Are you inspired?

Yumm...
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

Ive always kept an open diary and have never recieved a negative comment.
    Is this an insecurity of those that keep their diaries closed? Cause the "backlash" justification seems to be a little blown out of proprtion.

If I don't like anyones diary, I just close it. It doesnt really affect my life/lifestyle.
    Perhaps you lot should be a little confident unless you are guilty of your choices?

That is your experience (in terms of never receiving negative feedback at random.) However, mine is different, and I'm sure there are others who've experienced it as well; Everyone's experience here will vary. Also, some people are more sensitive than others. How big it is of you to simply close a diary that you don't like - not everyone does that.

In any event It hasn't effected my choice to keep an open diary, but some are more sensitive than others. Again, this is where empathy comes into play; I suppose it's not a trait that everyone has.

Personally, when I noted that I got negative feedback / criticisms in terms of my diet (open food diary) it's because people typically say I don't eat enough at times, and because I am on a keto type diet, and we all know how low carb diets go over on MFP (like a lead balloon.)

That said, I don't eat things that make me feel guilty, and I'm plenty confident in my food choices. An open journal motivates me to make better food choices, because it makes me feel accountable. This is the best I've ever done on any meal plan, and so I made it into a lifestyle change. Honestly, I'm rather proud as it's the first time in my life I've been able to steadily lose weight, and it works for me. So what if I slip up once in a blue moon? I'm human, and life goes on; Rome wasn't built in a day.
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Because it is no one's business what I eat?

nailed it. I keep mine open for the exact same reason.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Its really stupid.

Yumm...

It was delicious. I was like, 200 calories over my goal but it was tasty and i would do again. But then, you can see my diary and my obsession with food so you already know, i eat what i want.
  • Kitteeee
    Kitteeee Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Its really stupid.

Uhh.. YES I AM!!, her are several ways to be inspired by that!

1. seeing that you can eat awesome food like that for example AND still lose weight is inspiring and I would copy for sure!!
    2. it could inspire me to try and duplicate that at home for less calories
    3. if I always go to a fav restaurant and my french toast there are more like 900 cals, then you inspired me to go to Denny's instead!

Note: I already made a previous post on here explaining why I have my profile and diary open to friends :), also a really funny link to youtube lol!
  • LordMarius
    LordMarius Posts: 28
    Options
    I agree with other posters, the food diary is for me. If a friend really wanted to see it I wouldn't have a problem giving them the security key to open it but no one has asked.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    It's the default setting, and I haven't cared enough to change it? Is that an acceptable answer?
  • Lachesis
    Lachesis Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    No idea how to open (or close) mine.
  • Shelby1582
    Shelby1582 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed because I think I eat pretty healthy most of the time but I'm at my goal weight now and just wanting to lose a bit of belly flab and build muscle. I'm happy with the results I've gotten so far and I don't like it when people read my diary and say "hey if you cut out the wine you would lose a lot faster" or "you really went over your carbs today!"

It's working for me and I prefer the motivation from other members on accomplishments, not negative comments about what I eat.
  • SarahEMurray
    SarahEMurray Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    because it's none of your business
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I ask that same question when I first joined MFP. And, I received some of the same answers. My diary has always been open and public since day 1. I have nothing to hide. How can the MFP community support you when you hide your diaries?
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Because if you aren't on my friends list, why are you checking my diary? Mine is open if you are a friend, otherwise, it's closed.

Exactly!
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    avoid being judged
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Mine is set to private because I don't log anything or count calories.

Then why are you on this site if you aren't here to log anything or count calories?

I am guessing because they can. I didn't join here to count calories, I have been maintaing through intuitive eatimg for 2 years. I joined here to log exercise and monitor my weight and measurememts. I like the way this site is set up more than the one I was a member of.

You just said that you use it to "log" your exercise. So you are a member here so you can log something.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    because it's none of your business

^^^^THIS!!!