Why do people hide their food diaries on here?

Options

Replies

• breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    What I have found is, if I ask a general question like "How do I improve my glutes, as I am having trouble getting them to tighten up?" I get answers like: "I peeked at your diary for today and I see you ate too much sugar. You really should cut down on your sugar intake and focus on eating more fruits and veggies."

1. That wasn't the advice I was looking for and 2. If you look at my diary over the course of several months, you will see I eat relatively healthy MOST of the time.

I think some people are a bit too food police for me.

LOL so true! My diary is closed and I still get these answers!
    "I'm new to lifting and retaining tons of water, how long until those newbie gains are gone?"
    Answer: Make sure that you eat 1gram of protien per your weight while your lifting.

Huh?? I didn't ask anything about diet! lol
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm not here for help with my food so it's no-one's business but mine. Why do you need to know? Not even my friends can see my diary. As others have said, you can be more honest if no-one else is looking. I've had food issues related to taste/ textures since I was small and although I eat a more varied diet now, food is still a sensitive issue for me. I'm a very private person and careful about what I post anywhere. I wouldn't open my food diary any more than I'd tell you when I went to the bathroom.
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Accountability, and support for my MFP support friends. If I add you to my friends list you should be able to see it. If I reach out to all the MFP supporters and say, "I just don't understand what I am doing wrong" then I will go up and open it to be public so I can get the help. That's why we are My Fitness (Pals) for support. Sometimes I could use some tough love, suggestions and ridicule are two different things. If you eat 500 calories or 5000 calories then it's your issue, I care, but don't you see what's wrong, "think about that". Also if you are eating within reason trying to be healthy in weight and life I think your food diaries should be share with who is on your "Friends List". MFP has been a great help to me!
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't open my food diary any more than I'd tell you when I went to the bathroom.
    Its really stupid.

Why are people like that on this site and accepting friends?

Toilet contents are an inspiration lol

/sarcasm :wink:
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if anyone on here can see my food diary? Can you check?

Just did, it is hidden Thank you !
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    I wouldn't open my food diary any more than I'd tell you when I went to the bathroom.
    Its really stupid.

Bahahaha! People with open diaries are so highhhhhh above those that aren't. They must eat super nutritional.
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    The reasons I hide mine:

I don't want people making nasty comments
    It's my personal business, it helps ME to keep track of my intake, not others
    Because I want to, tha'ts good enough reason :)
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends.

If I ask/pm someone for specific advice I will add them as a friend if they want/need to see it.

I don't think anyone else needs to see it. To be honest - after getting more active on the forums (trying to incorporate the community aspect here more) there are a lot of people that I vehemently disagree with. I don't wanna open myself up to their comments.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Its really stupid.

Bahahaha! People with open diaries are so highhhhhh above those that aren't. They must eat super nutritional.
    and if our closed diaries fail to inspire them, they should ask us for a refund.
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I think it's because of the random people who attack others for what or how they eat (e.g. not enough, too much, macros aren't right, lifestyle change "not sustainable" in someone else's eyes, etc...)

Personally, I don't care. I've been called or sorts of things based on my eating habits; I've even had people send me long letters about the way I eat, what I eat, etc...

Sometimes explaining yourself gets old. I understand accountability and support helps, but really...If I'm not hungry I'm not going to eat. If I'm busy I'm not going to eat, if I'm depressed due to a death in the family I just might not eat so well, etc... etc....Explaining every little thing as I said before really gets old, and it also boils down to the fact that not everyone feels that this information is anyone's business.

That said, I leave mine open because I plainly don't care, but I can understand why others don't.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    The reasons I hide mine:

I don't want people making nasty comments
    It's my personal business, it helps ME to keep track of my intake, not others
    Because I want to, tha'ts good enough reason :)

Have you had a negative experience before?
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    ... because I don't really care or give any credit to what other people think about what I am eating, so there's no point anyone having access (unless I want them to) is there.

(I think that just about covers it)
  • Maggie1moo
    Maggie1moo Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed mainly because that was the default setting for one.
    Two, because I feel the diary is more for me and not really anyone else. Like a personal thing.

Dito! :)
  • Kitteeee
    Kitteeee Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Its really stupid.

Everybody poops according to the Black Eyed Peas! BAHAHAHA!:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQTW7Pd1vqc
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I think it's because of the random people who attack others for what or how they eat (e.g. not enough, too much, macros aren't right, lifestyle change "not sustainable" in someone else's eyes, etc...)

Personally, I don't care. I've been called or sorts of things based on my eating habits; I've even had people send me long letters about the way I eat, what I eat, etc...

Sometimes explaining yourself gets old. I understand accountability and support helps, but really...If I'm not hungry I'm not going to eat. If I'm busy I'm not going to eat, if I'm depressed due to a death in the family I just might not eat so well, etc... etc....Explaining every little thing as I said before really gets old, and it also boils down to the fact that not everyone feels that this information is anyone's business.

Ive always kept an open diary and have never recieved a negative comment.
    Is this an insecurity of those that keep their diaries closed? Cause the "backlash" justification seems to be a little blown out of proprtion.

If I don't like anyones diary, I just close it. It doesnt really affect my life/lifestyle.
    Perhaps you lot should be a little confident unless you are guilty of your choices?

That said, I leave mine open because I plainly don't care, but I can understand why others don't.
  • dltaylorii
    dltaylorii Posts: 132
    Options
    Nice. I love all the "I DO WHAT I WANT" answers.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Is the default private? Mine is private but I never remember setting it that way. I guess I can open it. No shame here.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Its really stupid.

Diaries are an inspiration lol

I had a french toast slam at dennys, was around 800 calories. Are you inspired?
  • dltaylorii
    dltaylorii Posts: 132
    Options
    Is the default private? Mine is private but I never remember setting it that way. I guess I can open it. No shame here.

Not 100% sure, but I believe that it is.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering why is it such a big secret what someone is eating...Why do people hide their food diaries on here? Any answers?

I think the fact that this question gets asked so often is the answer. Too many people think it's their business what others eat and some just don't want the criticism.