Why do people hide their food diaries on here?

Options

Replies

• JanetP124
    JanetP124 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Because I've heard of incidents where a random stranger on here will send someone a message critiquing and criticizing their diary when they don't know/have never spoken to them. That's very odd to me. My diary is open to my friends but I don't believe it's anyone elses business. If I were to start a topic saying, "Help me figure out what to eat to lose weight" then I would publicly open it so those people could help me. But I've lost 20 pounds on my own and at this point don't need critiquing, especially from strangers. If you're on my friends list, that's fine. Offer me advice.

That.

If I want help and opinions I'll ask for them but I don't need random helpful advice or lectures showing up in my inbox.
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    1. They're a pig and don't want people to see how much they're eating

2. They do something out of the norm such as eat 800 calories a day, or fast sometimes, low carb, or just something that most people don't usually do. They are concerned people will criticize them.

3. It keeps the more accountable. If I eat a large cake, I can log it and know i ate, but no one else would see it, so I don't have to feel self conscious about it. Easier people to log under this condition.

Not true. I keep mine private because it's no one elses damn business.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    So they can cheat in peace and quiet loooool!
    you just laughed out out out out out loud...
    i'm not entirely sure how you do that but it sounds painful.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Because there's no point in having it public. My friends can see it and can comment. I'm not looking for random strangers' opinions on my eating habits - I eat well, but I don't need someone who's not on my FL and who's never spoken to me before telling me I shouldn't have had ice cream on days that I indulge. Also, I use a LOT of recipes, and I don't always link to where they're from. If one of my friends wants to know I tell them, but for a random person browsing through looking for ideas, I'm not going to be much help.

I don't understand all the people on here who care so much if a diary's private or public. There's a lot of valid reasons to have it either way, and there's a lot more reasons for it being private than someone's cheating or anorexic. It's a lot easier for people struggling to overcome binge eating to be honest if no one else is judging them for it. It's a lot easier with people with restrictive dietary needs to log if they won't get crap from other people who don't understand why they're eating a certain way. It's a lot easier for the guy who's eating 4000 calories a day while bulking to eat that and not get "WTF?!" from strangers on the Internet. It's a lot easier for people battling with eating disorders to keep it locked with a key so only their dietician can see and give them useful feedback. This site is a tool for people with all kinds of goals, and people should do what works best for them. Don't judge someone because their method isn't your method.
  • Kitteeee
    Kitteeee Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Its really stupid.

Why are people like that on this site and accepting friends?

Diaries are an inspiration lol

I had a french toast slam at dennys, was around 800 calories. Are you inspired?

Uhh.. YES I AM!!, her are several ways to be inspired by that!

1. seeing that you can eat awesome food like that for example AND still lose weight is inspiring and I would copy for sure!!
    2. it could inspire me to try and duplicate that at home for less calories
    3. if I always go to a fav restaurant and my french toast there are more like 900 cals, then you inspired me to go to Denny's instead!

Note: I already made a previous post on here explaining why I have my profile and diary open to friends :), also a really funny link to youtube lol!

Then you are welcome to friend request me. I will probably confirm and you can see all the salty sugary details.

Yay!, awesome possum :D, I have too many friends eating health shakes and super healthy food lol!, I need to see other peeps besides me with Mcdonald's or whatever on their diary (gonna eat the new sweet chilli chicken wrap at mcdonalds soon!, it's like 410 cals!, can't wait haha!), oh!, and I love pizza! :)
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I appreciate people who have open diaries...it's interesting to see the things people eat and when and the results they've had. I don't judge anyone for what they eat (or don't). If you want to starve yourself cool, if you binge eat cool, but if you ask for my help and have inconsistent logging, binging/purging, etc. you're fair game to get that pointed out.

I feel more accountable when mine is open for all to see...but everyone's different.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    As someone with a public diary, I've yet to get any random comments from strangers about what I eat, and I'm pretty active on here.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    1. Because I do a fine job of beating myself up for my bad choices. I don't need anyone to remind me that those 4 double-stuffed Oreos and giant bowl of ice cream weren't the best choice. I'm well aware already.

2. It creeps me out to think people are in scouring what I've eaten (or not).

3. Everyone has different plans/goals. I don't look at my friends' diaries because how TF do I know what consitutes a "good" day for them? Are they anal about meeting macros? Are they trying for low his/high that? Idk, and I don't care. We are all big boys and girls here and can decide what to shove down our own throats.

4. If anyone is really that curious what I eat, I'll tell you.

5. I NET 1200. Although I eat much more than that, the mere sight of 1200 can send people into a tizzy.

6. I lost the first 65 lbs with no "friends" and nary a post on the forums. I'm accountable to me, and me alone. Making my food intake public or available to friends is not a critical piece of my success. An open diary will make me less likely to log "naughty" things. I will still eat them, just not log them. My diary then becomes useless.

7. Different strokes for different folks. Mine is closed because that works for me. Others have theirs open because it works for them. Whatever works for them is what people should be doing.
  • sweetpeas317
    sweetpeas317 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Because someone keeps their daily food intake private does not make them a pig, I didnt even know that you could make it public to all.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    The same people probably hold on to the rails of a treadmill!

Oops....that's me :)
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I don't understand all the people on here who care so much if a diary's private or public. There's a lot of valid reasons to have it either way, and there's a lot more reasons for it being private than someone's cheating or anorexic. It's a lot easier for people struggling to overcome binge eating to be honest if no one else is judging them for it. It's a lot easier with people with restrictive dietary needs to log if they won't get crap from other people who don't understand why they're eating a certain way. It's a lot easier for the guy who's eating 4000 calories a day while bulking to eat that and not get "WTF?!" from strangers on the Internet. It's a lot easier for people battling with eating disorders to keep it locked with a key so only their dietician can see and give them useful feedback. This site is a tool for people with all kinds of goals, and people should do what works best for them. Don't judge someone because their method isn't your method.

This, too. My mom, for example, has ulcerative colitis. She eats almost the exact same thing every day, which puts her at or just under 1200 calories (literally JUST under, like 1196 calories was her lowest). If she doesn't keep a consistent diet of the foods she CAN stomach, she gets really sick. I have heard plenty of people say that 1200 calories is too little, but she is maintaining and she has been mostly healthy for several years. Why should she be open to criticism when her dietary needs do not fit the "cookie cutter" standards here on MFP? Same deal with diabetics, people with multiple food allergies, gluten sensitivity, eating disorders, etc.; it seems like so many people on here have something negative to say about how other people are taking care of themselves - and I believe most of us are here in an effort to take care of ourselves. There are so many reasons for keeping one's food diary closed, and most of them are actually very good reasons.
  • kikilita
    kikilita Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Is it a default setting? I've never even thought about it and never come across someone's as private. I don't log as often as I should. I'll do really good for like three or four days and then slack off for a day or two, then half log for a day, then fall off for like a week, then try again. But I AM trying a bit more now. I'm also getting a car and can get to the gym a lot easier, LOL. It's kind of amazing how I've been walking over a mile every day for the past year and sometimes more without a car and gained weight. But I DID get a more sedentary job, I guess. Still.
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering why is it such a big secret what someone is eating...Why do people hide their food diaries on here? Any answers?

I don't want to come of sounding mean in response to your question, but the fact that you even posed the question shows that you maybe just a tad bit concerned about what other people (strangers to you) eat. The thought never crossed my mind about why someone's diary might be closed. Food and weight loss is a very private matter to some, especially those who struggle with food. I think the problem is too many people confused this site with Facebook where ones whole life is an open book. This site was developed as a weight loss tool and that is why I use it. I hold only myself accountable for what I eat. I am not here to be a role model to anyone.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options

Wrong, I don't go on treadmills.

As for having my food diary "hidden", I have absolutely nothing on mine for the last year and a half-doesn't exactly show my eating habits. However, I have shown it to anyone who has asked.

You, my friend, look like you benchpress in the squat rack.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    kaylerr45 wrote:
    I think it's better for more people to have their diaries open.
    I think it's better for some people to have them open and for others to keep them closed.

I think some people should weigh themselves every day, others to weigh themselves once a week and others to never weigh themselves.

I'm a big fan of saying "this is what works for me maybe it will work for others" and not so much of saying "this works for me and so everyone should do it."
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Sorry you take it personally. I don't open it because I look at it as a tool for me to use. An open diary is a little to internet overshare-y for me, but if you want to share yours, go ahead.
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Because I use it for personal tracking only, not for commentary from strangers.

^^^ This ^^^ and why do you care?
  • kaylerrr45
    Options
    kaylerr45 wrote:
    I think it's better for more people to have their diaries open.
    I think it's better for some people to have them open and for others to keep them closed.

I think some people should weigh themselves every day, others to weigh themselves once a week and others to never weigh themselves.

I'm a big fan of saying "this is what works for me maybe it will work for others" and not so much of saying "this works for me and so everyone should do it."

Great point and I agree with you. I should have said "I think it's better for ME if more people have their diaries open" for the reasons I stated on how it helps me (recipes/motivation/new ideas/ect).
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

Wrong, I don't go on treadmills.

As for having my food diary "hidden", I have absolutely nothing on mine for the last year and a half-doesn't exactly show my eating habits. However, I have shown it to anyone who has asked.

You, my friend, look like you benchpress in the squat rack.

It was a joke :)

I lost 100 pounds before I even joined here.....just started counting my calories last week to see what I have been eating. Turns out I eat a lot of protein......and I have not been all that hungry this past week due to stress.

I have to hold on to the rails on a treadmill because of concussion issues which affect my balance. Same reason it is hard for me to use free weights. But I plug along :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

:laugh: