Snack Foods for a Trip? (Gluten Free, Grain Free)

Options
13»

Replies

• momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    seems like a sad sad trip.

*Doritos (gluten-free version)
    *Sour Cherries (gluten-free version)
    *Jalapeno Cheddar Cheetos (gluten-free version)
    *Oreos (gluten-free version)

* DISCLAIMER: It is unknown if gluten-free versions of these products exist. If not, it is recommended you consult with your trip advisor and reschedule for such a time when gluten free versions or available, or until you back off this crazy diet and take a more moderate approach.
    this is yet another example that people don't get it- at all!- MOST and I do mean most. people that are on a gluten free /grain free diet are doing so for health reasons, like diabetics can't eat sugar- we can't eat grain. We would love to have some yummy popcorn or oatmeal or even dorritos..but we can't eat grain! We have no other choice in the matter.. It is not because it's the latest fad diet. My case it is celiac disese and even gluten free grains my body cannot handle..in the op's case she is on an anti-inflammatory diet which=health reasons- Get it? Got it ? Good!
  • byustrongman
    byustrongman Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Those puffed rice snack cakes are pretty good. I like the caramel ones.
  • KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    this is yet another exampe that people don't get it- at all!- MOST and I do mean most. people that are on a gluten free /grain free diet are doing so for health reasons, like diabetics can't eat sugar- we can't eat grain. We would love to have some yummy popcorn or oatmeal or even dorritos..but we can't eat grain! We have no other choice in the matter.. It is not because it's the latest fad diet. My case it is celiac disese and even gluten free grains my body cannot handle..in the op's case she is on an anti-inflammatory diet which=health reasons- Get it? Got it ? Good!

LOL, I wasn't going to address it. I find most people, unless they are on the GF and/or grain-free diet don't quite understand.
    Although, we do allow ourselves rice 1-2 times a week in 1/2 cup portions. And I try to eat 1 cup of oatmeal about once a month. Still haven't decided if that's worth it yet. I am still very much in the experimental stages.

Dissemination of information (AKA Why we're doing this new "extreme" lifestyle) Some of the things directly related to inflammation are:
    http://www.womentowomen.com/inflammation/symptomsandconditions.aspx - it's not complete but gives a fairly succinct list.
    http://www.progesteronetherapy.com/list-of-inflammatory-diseases.html#axzz2VS1bks3d
    http://atozhealthtopics.blogspot.com/2011/11/list-of-inflammatory-diseases.html
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

* DISCLAIMER: It is unknown if gluten-free versions of these products exist. If not, it is recommended you consult with your trip advisor and reschedule for such a time when gluten free versions or available, or until you back off this crazy diet and take a more moderate approach.
    this is yet another example that people don't get it- at all!- MOST and I do mean most. people that are on a gluten free /grain free diet are doing so for health reasons, like diabetics can't eat sugar- we can't eat grain. We would love to have some yummy popcorn or oatmeal or even dorritos..but we can't eat grain! We have no other choice in the matter.. It is not because it's the latest fad diet. My case it is celiac disese and even gluten free grains my body cannot handle..in the op's case she is on an anti-inflammatory diet which=health reasons- Get it? Got it ? Good!

Probably because people think corn=veggie (in the case of doritos, popcorn, cheetos). It's not a veggie, it's a GRAIN.

And FYI, the cool ranch are the GF doritos, for the record, lol. The nacho, sadly, are not. (but the generic Kroger store brand are! Occasional corn doesn't mess me up near as bad as wheat).
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

Someone with a disease should a follow the diet in line with their treatment, which is what you are doing. OP is doing it because its "anti-immflamatory". Then one year from we'll switch to the next fad and continue a cycle of going on and off restrictive eating patterns, getting nowhere or going backwards.
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options
    Those puffed rice snack cakes are pretty good. I like the caramel ones.

My kid loves those too. I'm sure there will be a bag of them in the car somewhere. :D
  • msb803
    msb803 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My husband and I backpack a lot, and we found two websites, www.stevespaleogoods.com, and www.primalpacs.com that make awesome and delicious travel food. They both have pacs/kits, that have fruit, nuts, and jerky so you get a good balance of fats/protein/carbs. Steve's also has PaleoKrunch, which is like a grain free granola. It's addictive and supports a great cause too!
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options

Someone with a disease should a follow the diet in line with their treatment, which is what you are doing. OP is doing it because its "anti-immflamatory". Then one year from we'll switch to the next fad and continue a cycle of going on and off restrictive eating patterns, getting nowhere or going backwards.

I have not stated if I have such a disease, have I? Please don't assume I'm following trends.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    pop corn is a good thing to take away, Make a whole lot up and put into zip lock bags. not sure how long they would last though they may get soggy

We're also not eating corn. lol!! But great idea!

If your decision to not eat corn is for GMO reasons, popcorn does not contain GMOs (just FYI). I researched that because we are popcorn addicts, lol.

Is there any way you can bring a cooler? String cheese and hard boiled eggs are good, filling snacks.
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options
    My husband and I backpack a lot, and we found two websites, www.stevespaleogoods.com, and www.primalpacs.com that make awesome and delicious travel food. They both have pacs/kits, that have fruit, nuts, and jerky so you get a good balance of fats/protein/carbs. Steve's also has PaleoKrunch, which is like a grain free granola. It's addictive and supports a great cause too!

I've heard of Steve's Paleo Goods before. I'll check them out again! Thanks bunches!
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options
    If your decision to not eat corn is for GMO reasons, popcorn does not contain GMOs (just FYI). I researched that because we are popcorn addicts, lol.

Is there any way you can bring a cooler? String cheese and hard boiled eggs are good, filling snacks.

We are bringing a cooler, but it can only hold so much. String cheese and eggs are definitely on the list. :)

Corn is a grain. Otherwise my husband would not allow me to NOT bring popcorn. lol.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    this is yet another exampe that people don't get it- at all!- MOST and I do mean most. people that are on a gluten free /grain free diet are doing so for health reasons, like diabetics can't eat sugar- we can't eat grain. We would love to have some yummy popcorn or oatmeal or even dorritos..but we can't eat grain! We have no other choice in the matter.. It is not because it's the latest fad diet. My case it is celiac disese and even gluten free grains my body cannot handle..in the op's case she is on an anti-inflammatory diet which=health reasons- Get it? Got it ? Good!

LOL, I wasn't going to address it. I find most people, unless they are on the GF and/or grain-free diet don't quite understand.
    Although, we do allow ourselves rice 1-2 times a week in 1/2 cup portions. And I try to eat 1 cup of oatmeal about once a month. Still haven't decided if that's worth it yet. I am still very much in the experimental stages.

Dissemination of information (AKA Why we're doing this new "extreme" lifestyle) Some of the things directly related to inflammation are:
    http://www.womentowomen.com/inflammation/symptomsandconditions.aspx - it's not complete but gives a fairly succinct list.
    http://www.progesteronetherapy.com/list-of-inflammatory-diseases.html#axzz2VS1bks3d
    http://atozhealthtopics.blogspot.com/2011/11/list-of-inflammatory-diseases.html
    I use to eat a small portion of popcorn or corn chips once in a while-but it wrecks my stomach and my entire system even in small amounts- I decided it wasn't worth it and my kids are the same way.. now I try to make a grain free version of whatever I am craving or find something else instead.. celery is not as exciting as chips but I'd rather feel well ..
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    MFP won't let me edit my earlier post. I wanted to add that a few of the Go Picnic options appear to be grain free as well as gluten-free. I have tried 3 or 4 of the boxes and really like them, but not these combinations in particular. My FIL is a celiac, but can eat other grains and loves to take the GF boxes on long car trips with him.

http://www.gopicnic.com/Black-Bean-Dip-Plantain-Chips appears to be GF and grain free (plaintains for the chip, which I believe is a banana relative, not a grain). Not sure about hidden triggers, but it might be worth looking into.
    http://www.gopicnic.com/Edamame-Kale-Dip-and-Plantain-Chips?sc=17&category=-117 might be another one to look at, if plaintains and soy are ok for you to eat.

It may be worth contacting the company and asking them for more details regarding ingredients, if you are interested.
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options
    MFP won't let me edit my earlier post. I wanted to add that a few of the Go Picnic options appear to be grain free as well as gluten-free. I have tried 3 or 4 of the boxes and really like them, but not these combinations in particular. My FIL is a celiac, but can eat other grains and loves to take the GF boxes on long car trips with him.

http://www.gopicnic.com/Black-Bean-Dip-Plantain-Chips appears to be GF and grain free (plaintains for the chip, which I believe is a banana relative, not a grain). Not sure about hidden triggers, but it might be worth looking into.
    http://www.gopicnic.com/Edamame-Kale-Dip-and-Plantain-Chips?sc=17&category=-117 might be another one to look at, if plaintains and soy are ok for you to eat.

I hadn't quite gotten to your post yet, sorry about that! I've been perusing the website and that definitely gives me some options too. I love plaintains! Especially when you can cook them just right to taste amazingly like chips!

The prices are reasonable too, thanks for the resource! :flowerforyou: