Ingredients
    One Banana
    One egg
    dash of salt
    dash of cinnamon

Instructions
    Mash banana
    Mix one egg, add dash of salt & cinnamon, if desired
    Spoon out a round pancake in heated pan over medium heat.
    Let brown on one side, flip to the other side and brown.
    Makes 3 smallish pancakes.

They would not flip. They were either burnt or a mess. My husband thought it was hilarious though. :/
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    I was making a dinner that called for white cooking wine. We were out of it but had some Merlot on hand. I thought that might be even tastier. Oh, it was foul! I completely ruined the dinner by using the wrong type of wine!

I also recently tried to make this recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/09/06/the-ultimate-chocolate-fudge-pie/. I wanted to reduce the calories a bit and thought I could use more cocoa powder and ditch or use less of the chocolate chips. I'm not sure if that's what did it, but even though I used firm tofu, the pie was a soup. I froze it to get it to solidify, which it did, but when I subsequently refrigerated it, it went back to soup. In the end, we had to eat it frozen, and it just didn't have the right texture frozen. I'm going to give this one another shot with different tofu and adding some butter or cream cheese.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I was making a dinner that called for white cooking wine. We were out of it but had some Merlot on hand. I thought that might be even tastier. Oh, it was foul! I completely ruined the dinner by using the wrong type of wine!

I also recently tried to make this recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/09/06/the-ultimate-chocolate-fudge-pie/. I wanted to reduce the calories a bit and thought I could use more cocoa powder and ditch or use less of the chocolate chips. I'm not sure if that's what did it, but even though I used firm tofu, the pie was a soup. I froze it to get it to solidify, which it did, but when I subsequently refrigerated it, it went back to soup. In the end, we had to eat it frozen, and it just didn't have the right texture frozen. I'm going to give this one another shot with different tofu and adding some butter or cream cheese.

It was the chocolate chips. When altering any recipe you need to keep the wet/dry/solid ratio of ingredients the same. Yes, you melt chocolate chips, but they harden back up in the fridge. If you are worried about it being too sweet, use dark chocolate instead of semi sweet.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    Has anyone tried the Paleo pancakes?

Ingredients
    One Banana
    One egg
    dash of salt
    dash of cinnamon

Instructions
    Mash banana
    Mix one egg, add dash of salt & cinnamon, if desired
    Spoon out a round pancake in heated pan over medium heat.
    Let brown on one side, flip to the other side and brown.
    Makes 3 smallish pancakes.

They would not flip. They were either burnt or a mess. My husband thought it was hilarious though. :/

yeah, we discussed them a page ago!
    I had no problem cooking them, but they were not pancakes.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Dried small red beans - they were at the top of an anti-oxidant list I read recently, they have some protein, fiber, etc - a pretty good food all around. I found some from S America at my local grocer. I have tried soaking and then boiling and just boiling from dry but either way there is a really small window of time where they are "right", by which I mean fully cooked but still at least slightly firm. They go from crunchy to mush in the space of just a few minutes after boiling for hours first. I have started eating them slightly undercooked in salads and that's not so bad.
  • shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I made a WW blueberry cheese cake, oh i wish it tasted like cheesecake it had corn and mash banana as the base (no biscuit in sight) and a quark cheese topping, absolutely disgusting, gross, I had to chuck it out. As you can imagine I was very dissappointed. Also tried a banana and egg pancake, tasted like an omlette not pancake!
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    The first time I ever made biscuits from scratch.... It was horrible!! You could not eat them without needing dental implants after...lol
    They were hard! Very rock like...lol the dog could not even eat one. He carried it around licking it. :-)

When my husband and I first moved in together, I was going to boil water for pasta. I forgot about the water, and when I remembered the pan was bone dry! I burned water!!...lol
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I got a particularly bad recipe off here for carrot muffins. they were so bad I apologized to the carrots as I threw the whole batch in the bin.
    what I found funny was that when I reported my results back on the thread, complete with picture of the muffins nestled in amongst the trash, the member who had started the thread immediately abandoned it and started a brand new thread to wax lyrical about her awesome recipe!
    some people just can't take a little bad press.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i'm tempted to try that cauliflower pizza crust since i cant have wheat... but im scared and suspect that i will hate it...

I've actually had goos cauliflower pizza before, but it's not pizza! and I've also had bad cauliflower pizza, so I'm wary!

same thing for the black bean brownies!

I've got a great recipe for black bean brownies, full of full-on hippie ingredients. unfortunately, just because they're made from beans and chick peas doesn't make them healthy. delicious, but full of glorious things like butter :)
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    This 'protein pancake' that went viral on Pinterest using cottage cheese, egg whites and oats. It didn't set right and it tasted like crap. Vanilla extract and eggs DO NOT go together.

I tried this recipe too, or at least a similar one - I liked it. My pancakes came out fluffy and delicious. Of all the protein pancake recipes I've tried it comes in close to the top.

Edit: This is the recipe I use and saved. I usually do it with liquid egg whites from a carton, equal to the 8 whites it calls for.

1 cup cottage cheese
    1 cup oatmeal (quick or old-fashioned)
    4 eggs or 8 egg whites
    (some recipes also call for vanilla and baking powder)

That's the one. I used old fashioned oatmeal and I found it icky. :)
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I tried to make chocolate meringue cookies once. If I can imagine what poop tastes like, that would be it.

OTOH, the only way I eat brownies any more are the black bean brownies!!! Maybe it's the mix or brand of beans we use, but they are so much more moist and delicious than regular brownies! I went to make a batch last weekend, and we were out of beans, so I made them according to the box and found myself wishing we would've had beans!

waht do you do, just add beans to the boxed mix?

all the oens I have had (good and bad!) have been from scratch!

Yep. Take a box of brownie mix, stick it in your mixer. Take one can of black bean, drain and rinse them. Put the beans back in the can, and fill the can to the brim with water. Put beans/water in BLENDER, and puree. Add to brownie mix, beat. Cook according to directions. So. Delicious. When you first beat them together, you can kinda see little bits of bean that didn't puree. However, once baked I have never noticed them. We even make them like this to take to outings and such, and everyone raves about them.

Blasphemy!

I make them from scratch. They are SOOOOOOO tasty! ^_^
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I've actually made quite a few skinny/healthy desserts that are amazing.

BUT, I attempted something from Pinterest called cloud cookies that were carb free once. I couldn't get the batter into cookie shapes because it was too runny, so I just poured the whole dumb thing on a cookie sheet and baked it. Tasted like pure shizz. My sweet husband tried some to make me feel better and once it hit his tongue he said "what the?!" and had to spit it out.

I've made up for it with all the delicious stuff from skinnytaste and chocolatecoveredkatie.
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I made a layered trifle. What flavors to make, it, I thought. Chocolate and mint go together nicely. Chocolate and banana also work. I know, I'll make chocolate mint banana. Mmmmm, mint banana. Didn't think that one through.

It was over a decade ago, and I'm still mocked for it.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    The Chunky Monkey recipe you may have seen here...?
    BARFFFF!!!!!

Zucchini tots? They're OK but a lot of trouble for little reward plus DAYS spent trying to get the mini cupcake pan clean.

Now, I DARE you guys to try my (I didn't invent it, just posted it) Gooey Chocolate Mugcake extraordinaire which has gotten ZERO attention and actually tastes delicious! It is only 210 calories for a serious treat.

Mix well:
    1 egg
    2 T unsweetened cocoa
    3 T sugar
    Microwave for one minute.

I made one for my son and he was like "But, but, but where did the CAKE come from...?" Magical!
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I think my worst cooking disaster would have to be the first time I attempted to make home made doughnuts as a teen...They came out beautifully looking - I mean, they looked really nice; Almost professional. I was so excited, because they looked like a big success!

They had a wonderful taste at first; the only problem was that it was followed by such a horrible after taste (it was so strange) that was so foul it was almost enough to induce vomiting :sick:

In hindsight though, they would have made the perfect gag gift lol.
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Kale chips, I keep trying because I keep earing how good they are. Either burnt or soggy:sick:
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Kale chips, I keep trying because I keep earing how good they are. Either burnt or soggy:sick:

I know this sounds stupid, but try microwaving them (no oil) in a single layer in the microwave (usually takes about 3-6 min depending on your microwave.)

Periodically open to check on them to make sure you're not burning them (like you would when nuking eggs) and keep it up until you get them crispy as you'd like.

Remove, and add a bit of salt (go really light, because with kale chips a sprinkle of salt goes a long way.)

They end up tasting just like they do via the oven method.
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    The Chunky Monkey recipe you may have seen here...?
    BARFFFF!!!!!

Zucchini tots? They're OK but a lot of trouble for little reward plus DAYS spent trying to get the mini cupcake pan clean.

Now, I DARE you guys to try my (I didn't invent it, just posted it) Gooey Chocolate Mugcake extraordinaire which has gotten ZERO attention and actually tastes delicious! It is only 210 calories for a serious treat.

Mix well:
    1 egg
    2 T unsweetened cocoa
    3 T sugar
    Microwave for one minute.

I made one for my son and he was like "But, but, but where did the CAKE come from...?" Magical!

You should have titled it <70 calories, sugar free, dairy free, black bean miracle noodle delicious diet mug cake. :wink:

I will try this tonight, though! My post work snack is now in your hands...
  • princess_goal
    princess_goal Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I tried twice a receipe for "healthy brownies" with the black beans...
    ehhh....it DID not taste like BROWNIE AT ALLL...
    tasted like weird black paste with some nuts....it was not good...!!!! the both times