On losing weight AND quitting smoking

Options
13»

Replies

• mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I m in full ketosis and using a strawberry flavour e cig having cut from 18mg to 4 mg of nicotine to quit my 60 a day smoking habbit of the last 30 odd years...I ll be on zero mg soon .

The money i save on cigs and the things i also bought when in a shop to buy them ( the true cost of smoking) goes into a saving pot everyday in cash and at the end of the month there is over $700 in that pot which motivates me to continue.

The beauty of being in ketosis while i quit is, i know anything over 20 carbs a day will blow all the hard work to get in this state and in sticking to that goal theres no way i m going to put weight on as i quit ...

I think this is the easy way at least for me !!
  • xxxtracyxxx
    xxxtracyxxx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Diabetes Jan 2012. I guess my weight journey started there unintentionally. Due to the tablets they had put me on I managed to lose some weight. In June 2012 I was on my 5th or 6th attempt to quit smoking over a 2 year period. And I managed it! I took one day at a time and even with the hubby still smoking, I just kept thinking that I didnt want to die yet, that I wanted a shot at life!

I didnt lose any weight between June 2012 and March 2013, but didnt put a whole lot on, I upped my water intake and my exercise, which I guess helped a lot. Both of which have been suggested by other people, so they must work. I have started to lose the weight again slowly but surely, which is my preferred method, as it seems to be staying off. I have lost nearly 3 stone since Jan 2012. Loads to go still, but work in progress and my life will be long and happy, with no ciggies, more exercise and hopefully, eventually, no more tablets and no more diabetes.

Good luck and feel free to add me if you think it will help. Many blessings and stay positive!
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Electronic cigarettes. That's all.
  • meeeshellllle
    meeeshellllle Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey 2 weeks ago and I'm still losing weight, now I'm addicted to ice breakers lol
  • gogoyubarino
    gogoyubarino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I started with a healthier lifestyle not long after I quit smoking (almost two years ago). It happened in stages- first going cold turkey and then reducing the amount of garbage I was eating. The main trigger that helped me stopped smoking was that I wanted to improve my running performance. As a smoker I had hit a wall when it came to running- my heart and lungs just didin't have more to give and I wanted to change that.

A few months after quitting smoking I decided that we would cut out most of the pre-fabricated/ processed foods in our diet. We have been largely successful. Most of what we eat is made from scratch. We also eat lots of fish and vegetables.

I am 20 kgs (40ish pounds) lighter than I was two years ago and quitting smoking has played a huge part in that, so it is entirely possible.

Good luck, stick at it!
  • SusanHeinous
    Options
    I quit smoking 4.5 years ago.

I gained 20

I've have since then lost 40.

Wait gain is temporary and can be fixed through diet and exercise

Heart disease, emphysema and cancer are permanent (and often fatal).

This is almost exactly what is happening to me.
    I had been quit for a year before getting my act together with diet and exercise. I substituted rubbish food for cigarettes; for some reason I have a 'need a reward' personality and sweets became my reward to myself instead of the *kitten*.

I seem to have overcome this now and the weight is coming off slowly but surely and hopefully I will also end up losing more than I gained.

Try to take a long-term view about your health, I know it's difficult when human nature makes us want immediate results.

Quitting smoking and dieting simultaneously is perfectly possible as the posts on this thread show. Personally I found it too difficult and concentrated on quitting first.

Wishing you success with whatever route you choose.
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 4.5 years ago.

I gained 20

I've have since then lost 40.

Wait gain is temporary and can be fixed through diet and exercise

Heart disease, emphysema and cancer are permanent (and often fatal).

^^^^^^^THIS I am 44 yrs old, mom of 3, I said I didnt want to quit because I didnt want the weight gain, I slowly but surely started slowing down. I didn't realize how much i had stopped doing, the weight creeped on. I was exhausted, and stairs would about kill me. I put it down to getting close to 40 and aging.
    I ended up in the ER with side and back pain, they found kidney cancer. I had my kidney removed, quit for a bit, and let stress and total denial of the truth put them right back in my mouth.
    I now have emphysema, chronic bronchitis and asthma. I cannot begin to tell you how much harder it is to get up every day and exercise, and eat right. I took on a new job, moved, quit smoking and chose a healthy eating lifestyle.
    Now my husband and my daughter have trouble keeping up with me in the mall. My lung function has improved, though there is no cure for COPD, quitting smoking has given me an amazing amount of energy, guess that whole my body needs oxygen thing :tongue:
    I usually make it a point to never bring this up. Most people will not quit an addiction until they are ready, but you asked so I am sharing.
    Here is my two cents, feel free to add me if you need a support partner, best of luck to you!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2363825817901&set=vb.1318026411&type=3&theater
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    ok , I have ran the smoking cessation program at work SEVERAL times..

a few tips from my experience

1. you have been poisoning your body and telling it that the poison was "ok" to function for a long time, now you stopped,even if you switch to nicotine gum or the patch , nicotine is only one component of the smoke.

2. prepare for what you're going to do with the free time, the craving walk around the block or as someone else suggested Burpees, not a bad idea..

3. buy the cough drops and cold medicine NOW, in about 3-5 days , your immune system is going to pick up a bug its not used to fighting, in the midst of doing the spring cleaning from the toxins in the smoke, this "bug" will be the straw to the camels back , youre going to get sick, and its going to be Bad, nasty chesty cold, fever , hacking, etc..

4. weight gain from quitting smoking is somewhat anecdotal, most weight gain results in increased snaking and "nervous" habits smokers try to replace the addictive behavior.-- the metabolic effect of smoking, besides elevated heart rate == it only accounts for about 100-150 calories per day..

5. most health organizations DO NOT recommend the E cigs, as it doesn't address the addictive habit,and you're still drugging with the nicotine

you want to read more, go here :
    "http://www.smokefree.gov
    thats the governments quitting smoking website,
    they can also sign you up for text alerts and see if the patch is free in your state through your states smoking cessation program
  • kaioken92
    kaioken92 Posts: 38
    Options
    I quit cold turkey at the end of August 2007. I was up to a pack of Marlboro Reds a day. After I quit, I gained about ten pounds, but then again, I was 5'5" tall, and 190 pounds, so I was still obese.

I really didn't do much about it until a couple of years ago when I started jogging a little and changed my diet from a ton of garbage to not so much garbage.

Then I found P90X and the rest is history. Currently 154, with a goal of 150.
  • estielouise
    estielouise Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am in the same predicament at the moment. I smoke, I know its bad for me, I cough up crap most mornings when i wake up, I snore due to breathing issues (I have small nasal passages). I am also trying to lose weight. I know I need to quit and I do want to, because I am going to be going back to school in September to be a beauty therapist and can't smell of smoke whilst giving treatments.
    I am finally under 12 stone for the first time in 3 or four years and don't want to undo that. It is very hard for me to lose weight as I suffer with IBS and my body holds onto all my fat as the attacks I have trigger my metabolisim into starvation mode. Its taken me 6 months to lose 7 pounds.
    I would suggest if its something you really want, its mainly will power and having the courage to see the you that could be not the you that is now! I start today! First by cutting down to two a day for two weeks then 1 a day for two weeks, then none! Little steps make big differences!
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, I quit 10 years ago, but it's taken me over 10 years to finally take control of my health/weight. I know others who have done it simultaneously and they replace their need for smoking with exercise, lots of gum, and snacking on veggies. I quit cold turkey the day I found out I was pregnant but losing weight has been a much more difficult struggle than not smoking!
  • Gracie1214
    Gracie1214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've quit today, previous attempts have led me to gain so much weight but I know now it was mainly due to over eating big time.I swapped ciggies for Maltesers ! Hopefully this time I will have more self control !
  • Persistence30
    Options
    Hello,

I am in the same boat, I got scared when exercising because of breathing, I quit smoking and am on day 2.I am expecting a little weight gain because your metabolism supposedly slows down a bit when quitting (I read that your body dosen't have to work so hard anymore to get rid of the toxins and thats why it is slowing down). However, I am making a commitment to be healthy and to do this it involves both weight loss and no more smoking. I am now dedicated to my health, I have healthy habits except for the smoking. It has been a challenge the last few days and I am expecting more challenging days ahead, but like I said I a made a commitment to myself to be healthy and feel good. I hope soon I will feel better while exercising but right now it just hurts to breathe. I have gone cold turkey, did not want to delay the withdrawal process and just want to get all this ickiness out of my body! Wish you the best you can add me as a friend if you would like support on this!
  • Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    June of last year i wanted to loose weight, get healthier, and quit smoking. i started out by excercising. while excercising, yes i still smoked some. but i cut it down a little every week. like i went from smoking half a pack a day, to only smoking 8... then a few weeks later maybe id go down to 6.... and eventually i went down to 4. morning cigarette, lunchtime, before i went to go get my son from daycare, and before bed. then i cut the night time cigarette out. by the time your down to 3 cigarettes a day and fully determined, jt was easier for me to quit. i didnt gain weight by quitting.

(i did however go through a pretty traumatic time in life last fall/winter.. in which i did start smoking again. just recently i am attempting this get healthier, quit smoking, cut down my cigarettes process again... i am back down to 4 a day now.. and eventually hopefully none)..

Good for you for actually wanting the change!
  • avrobin03
    avrobin03 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My motivation for quitting smoking was excercising, because I couldn't breathe! Celery sticks really really helped me, because my hardest time was driving.. I miss smoking I don't think the "cravings" will ever go completely away.. but I cannot tell you how free'ing it is not to have to rely on cigerettes throughout the day. I KNOW you can do it! Just take it a day at a time.. I downloaded a app off the andriod market called Quit! Now it calulates how fast your body gets back to normal, how much money you are saving everyday, plus how many hours you are saving on your life. That app and also never wanting to experience the first week again has deterred me from smoking. Good luck!
  • skruger22
    skruger22 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My motivation for quitting smoking was excercising, because I couldn't breathe! Celery sticks really really helped me, because my hardest time was driving.. I miss smoking I don't think the "cravings" will ever go completely away.. but I cannot tell you how free'ing it is not to have to rely on cigerettes throughout the day. I KNOW you can do it! Just take it a day at a time.. I downloaded a app off the andriod market called Quit! Now it calulates how fast your body gets back to normal, how much money you are saving everyday, plus how many hours you are saving on your life. That app and also never wanting to experience the first week again has deterred me from smoking. Good luck!

I am here to attest to the fact that the cravings DO go away. I thought they never would. Seriously. I thought I would always crave smoking- but it's been long enough now, and I don't! My boyfriend even picked it back up and I didn't want to join him- which REALLY proved to me that the cravings were gone! It takes a long time. And it feels like an eternity, but it DOES happen. For me it was within 3 years. I hope I'm not discouraging anyone by saying that, but for the first year I was determined, and then the 2nd year I just felt sorry for myself, and every time I had a social function, or drank a beer, I would CRAAAVE a cigarette. But then eventually, after having to tell myself no over and over again (and having friends help out and say no over and over again) I finally started not really wanting a cigarette. And I was able to run farther, and DO more things, so I started focusing on how healthy I felt, and the idea of smoking started to feel utterly disgusting!! Woot! You can do it- and the cravings WILL go away. :) I promise. You just have to be dedicated long enough for it to happen.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!