What do you think of fat people after losing weight?

Options
15678911»

Replies

• bluebelltinkerbell
    bluebelltinkerbell Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think everyone fights their own battles on their own timeline and for their own reasons.

This.

I got a lot of judgement when my activity plummeted and my weight increased after my twins were born. I was told repeatedly that I needed to make exercise a priority when in reality, I was barely hanging on with just a few hours of sleep for almost two solid years. I couldn't afford to get help. I did the best I could. And it ticked me off when people that had no idea the hell I was going through, just trying to take care of my family, told me I wasn't trying hard enough.

I understand what you are saying. I haven't slept for more than 3 hours before one of my girls gets me up. So tired =no energy=no desire to get off my but and do something about it. This week I made that change but the road is long
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
  • pattya925
    pattya925 Posts: 398
    Options
    This!
    I think everyone fights their own battles on their own timeline and for their own reasons.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    The whole thyroid thing is a real thing you know... Some people actually do suffer from it. I gained 80+ lbs from not being diagnosed in time and doctor error. That's not my fault. I'm fat because of that. However, I don't go around making excuses, I simply just tell people that it is a real thing and people do gain because of it, and when you're not being treated, you don't lose no matter how hard you try, at least I didn't. I just kept gaining.

I won't feel any differently toward fat people when I lose this weight. I feel sorry for the people that aren't motivated enough to actually try to better themselves, but I feel that way now.
  • larsen626
    larsen626 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    EXACTLY!! I have lost 109 lbs and STILL morbidly obese! I was one of the most active fat people at 400 lbs I walked a mile every day and did dishes laundry etc and did not loose weight till I found this life saving site! I swim 3 days a week I walk 3 days a week plus normal house chores so any way Fat does not mean lazy I just needed help still do! THANKS to MFP and my Friends!
  • Loasaur
    Loasaur Posts: 125
    Options
    My biggest problem was that when I was a teenager I starved myself down to 110 pounds without realizing the drastic effects this would have on my body later down the line. Once I got to, what I thought, was a "perfect" size, I started eating again. After a while I had gained all the weight back PLUS more. I was so distraught and disgusted with myself that I couldn't even look in a mirror. After I realized what I had done, I tried to starve myself again but it didn't work so well this time. I lost barely anything. After that failed to work, I gave up. I didn't have access to healthy food; I was a teenager living with my parents, no money, no job, my parents were flat out BROKE and they only bought crap food because it was cheap. My Dad weighed over 400 pounds and I thought I had no chance to ever be as skinny as I would like.

I still have trouble with my weight even though I have moved in with my boyfriends family. They buy good food but also buy junk food. I try not to be tempted but sometimes it's hard when I get really depressed (which is sometimes, a lot). I've been working really hard over the last 3 weeks, going to the gym 3 or 4 times a week, trying very hard to eat LOTS of veggies and fruits through-out the day instead of junk, but it's just so hard when six other people are sitting there drinking Cokes and eating potato chips. It's hard when they offer me donuts or muffins from Tim Hortons and even after I say no several times, they keep insisting. I know I don't have to eat it, but I am a people pleaser at heart. I have such a hard time saying no to people and I try so hard to give everyone what they want that it's not always best for me. I am getting better, I am trying hard, I know I am my own worst enemy.

I am by no means making excuses for myself. I know that only I can put the food down my throat and that is something I am dealing with. It really isn't a diet, it really is a LIFE style choice that you must be prepared to stick with forever and just like quitting smoking is difficult, quitting your life style is difficult too. You really have to be prepared for it and really, really want it for it too stick. When you talk to "obese" people and they give you excuses, I guarantee you that many of them know where you're coming from and agree with you, but aren't ready to take the plunge into that drastic life-style change. Some of them never will.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    "Lazy" is one of those blanket terms I find annoying when applying to people and their inability to produce results other people think are the best. It's completely inaccurate, not to mention demeaning judgmental, and doesn't get the big picture in.

I work in healthcare, and yes, a majority of people that come in technically do not have anything that's physically stopping them from eating better, prioritizing, and getting some physical exercise in. What ends up stopping them are their mental and psychosocial issues.

And no, it's not psychotic illnesses like bipolar disorder or schizophrenia. It's the little things, like anxiety/depression that isn't treated or diagnosed because they don't have insurance or a good PCP. Most have other physical co-morbidities or illnesses, many self-medicate with alcohol and cigarettes, most have lower levels of education, many are in poverty or just above, and many have children and families and struggle just to survive. Things like lack of sleeping, lack of access to proper nutrition, and lack of social support from family are HUGE in the success of any person, and many, many people struggle with those things daily.

The fewer resources people have, like education, support, and money, the less likely they are to succeed. That's true in ANY aspect of healthcare, but it is certainly true with weight struggles, because it's such a socially-driven habit that requires so many factors to be successful.

For many people, it's not simply choosing not to do something; it's lacking the coping skills and psychosocial health to be able to choose to do something. It's a lot more complex than people realize, and it a lot more than people just choosing to be "lazy".
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    With age comes wisdom, thank god! I don't judge, I mind my own business. I am more concerned with behavior, and how people treat others. If you treat others poorly, you are not a successful person, no matter how fit and body beautiful you are.
  • bizzyeck
    bizzyeck Posts: 45 Member
    Options

This. Unfair to judge people because you got it. Until the head is ready nothing will work for them.
  • okremix
    okremix Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My concern is that society can work diligently to create programs try to recover people with all types of disorders that effect their health and the health of families and communities but that over-eating disorders are defendable and have this attitude of being something that you just mind your own business about because it hurts people's feelings. Obesity is just as detrimental to health and costly to treat complications as under-eating or smoking. Regardless of the reason, it is a health condition that can causes harm to others. Prevention and education are key. Society is going to stay this way or get worse if people continuously refuse to participate or make excuses that keep from improving their health and the health of their families. People should care about this. It is a huge deal. This cardiac ICU nurse watches obese people suffer and die from directly related complications daily and they just keep getting bigger and bigger.