Your favorite book?

Options
mnishi
mnishi Posts: 422 Member
"...few things leave a deeper mark on a reader than the first book that finds its way into his heart." - Carlos Ruiz Zafón from "The Shadow of the Wind"

Fellow bibliophiles - what was the first book to find it's way to your heart?
Mine was "To Kill a Mockingbird" It was assigned reading for my Sophomore English class and I literally read it four times before the class finished it.

BTW - anyone on Goodreads, feel free to add me - mnishi

Replies

• GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    The Time Machine - HG Wells.
  • wins1219
    wins1219 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love To Kill A Mockingbird! It's fantastic!
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    World War Z by Max Brooks
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    The Collector by John Fowles
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    The first book that found it's way to my heart? That's a tie, I recall two I read in elementary school that I bought on Amazon to re-read whenever the mood strikes me.

~Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
    ~A Time of Darkness by Sherryl Jordan

Those two books were my favorites when I was young and I still enjoy them to this day! :)
  • pnut456
    pnut456 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    There are sooo many but I think the first one I can say I loved and moved me was... Dead Man Walking by Sister Helen Prejean
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    the prophet, kahlil gibran. i will reread it forever and give it to my friends as gifts forever.
  • JordanWhibbs
    Options
    George Orwell - 1984 :)
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    To Kill a Mockingbird was definitely one of my favorites growing up. Grapes of Wrath was another favorite from school days.

Crime and Punishment was a bit of a tough read for me, but I ended up loving it.
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I loved "The Shadow of the Wind." Great book.
    Mine would probably be Steinbeck's "Of Mice And Men." Steinbeck has always resonated with me.

Now, for fun, I read Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" at least once every couple of years. My favorite book of the 5 book "trilogy" is "Restaurant at the End of the Universe." I started reading Adams in high school and just fell in love with his storytelling.
  • emmythedagger
    emmythedagger Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The Collector by John Fowles
    Oh, I have that on my to-read shelf!

The Player of Games, by Iain M Banks. LOVE it. Infact I love all his Culture novels.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Just One? That's like having to pick your favorite child.

I saw a movie the other night about 7 prisoners in a Soviet Gulag in Siberia in 1941. They escaped from the prison and trekked through Siberia, the Gobi Desert, Himilayas to British India. It reminded that one of my favorite books is "Last of the Breed" by Louis L'Amour about a USAF U2 Pilot that has to eject over Siberia in the 1980's. The pilot is Cherokee Indian and has been taught how to live off the land. The book is his story about how he evades Soviet patrols looking for him, and survives the harsh climate to get to Alaska. Right now that's my favorite book. Ask me again next week and you'll get a different answer.

Timeless Classic I keep on the Kindle on my phone for random reading: Tom Sawyer
  • nave002
    nave002 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Love to read, can't really pin down a book that I absolutely love..... totally into the vampire, werewolf, shapeshifter era now..... and of course, who hasn't read 'Fifty Shades of Grey" or "The Sweet Series.":wink:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    East of Eden. Steinbeck. It got into my emotions like books rarely can, and I was just gutted when (spoiler) happened.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    But my absolute favorite books are the Dark Tower series by SK.

I reread them every summer...I'm just about to begin on Wizard and Glass :love:
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Even in childhood i had way too many favs to narrow it to just one. However, one of my all time favorites from is still The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle. I love the combination of adventure, historical fiction, and the main character.

ETA: I think i read this when i was in 3rd grade, it was a few grade levels ahead at the time. With many rereads after that.
    There's also talk of turning it into a movie.
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Anything by Mary Higgins Clark.
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    My favorite two of all time are:

Catcher in the Rye
    To kill a mockingbird

But there are so many on this list, too....
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    The first book that I read that I still adore is probably Watership Down.

Picking an absolute favourite is pretty much impossible, though.