Your favorite book?

Options

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Love to read, can't really pin down a book that I absolutely love..... totally into the vampire, werewolf, shapeshifter era now..... and of course, who hasn't read 'Fifty Shades of Grey" or "The Sweet Series.":wink:

I wish I hadn't wasted time reading the "book" Fifty Shades of Grey...
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few books on my list of favorites!

My top 5:

The Stand
    Summer of My German Soldier (I've read it several times and gone through 3 copies since junior high!)
    Angela's Ashes
    Wuthering Heights
    Jane Eyre
  • halips
    halips Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Mine was in second grade when I read Number the Stars by Lois Lowery and Charlotte'sWeb by E.B. White. Read them each multiple times that year and over the next few. The next would be Where the Red Fern Grows.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Love to read, can't really pin down a book that I absolutely love..... totally into the vampire, werewolf, shapeshifter era now..... and of course, who hasn't read 'Fifty Shades of Grey" or "The Sweet Series.":wink:

I wish I hadn't wasted time reading the "book" Fifty Shades of Grey...

Due to many people saying they wish they hadn't wasted their time, I have put off reading that book. I suppose I'll get around to it someday just to see what all the fuss is about.
  • Behxo
    Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Only really read when I was in high school, the only book I really liked reading was Of Mice and Men, The Lovely Bones was pretty interesting as well.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    My first favorite book was "Fox in Sox" by Dr Seuss :)

These are the ones that won my heart as I grew older:

Animal Farm & 1984 by George Orwell
    Foundation Series by Isaac Asimov
    Anne Rice's Vampire novels and her Witch series
    Shannara books by Terry Brooks

Catcher in the Rye
    A Tale of Two Cities

I am just coming into Disc World - late I know and am reading Neil Gaiman now too. (Hitchhiker's Guide is also an old favorite)

I was into Scifi and fantasy novels before they were cool. I love what Harry Potter, Twilight and Game of Thrones have done for the both Genres.
  • gr8grl68
    gr8grl68 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    As a kid I loved EB White--Charlotte's Web and The Trumpet of the Swan are still favs of mine.

Now?--I read Jodi Piccoult, James Patterson and started randomly reading from the free Kindle Lending Library. . . .
  • sash3619
    sash3619 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Impossible to pick just one:)
    When I was younger I was obsessed with Jack London's Sea Wolf (and Martin Eden) and Charlotte Bronte's Jayne Eyre. I could literally quote pages from those books. Now it's probably Dostoevsky's "Idiot" (complete brainf*ck) and Nobokov's Lolita. And thousands others.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    1. Ayn Rand- Atlas Shrugged
    2. Ken Follett- Pillars of the Earth
    3. The Bar Sinister ( a sequel to pride and prejudice but a little racier ;) )
  • deemartin2
    deemartin2 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I love so many books that I am not sure I can choose just one.

Dime Store Magic - Kelley Armstrong
    To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
    The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
    By The Light Of The Moon - Dean Koontz
    Pride And Prejudice - Jane Austin
    Pride And Prejudice And Zombies - Jane Austin and Seth Grahame-Smith

These are just to name a few :happy:
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I loved "The Shadow of the Wind." Great book.
    Mine would probably be Steinbeck's "Of Mice And Men." Steinbeck has always resonated with me.

Now, for fun, I read Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" at least once every couple of years. My favorite book of the 5 book "trilogy" is "Restaurant at the End of the Universe." I started reading Adams in high school and just fell in love with his storytelling.

I hated reading "Of Mice and Men" great book but it was a tough read for me.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    But my absolute favorite books are the Dark Tower series by SK.

I reread them every summer...I'm just about to begin on Wizard and Glass :love:

I love the Dark Tower series. I've heard they are going to be made into a movie or tv series and I seriously hope it doesn't happen. It would just ruin it.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Among my all-time faves are "Beach Music" and "South of Broad" by Pat Conroy, and "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen. Memoirs of a Geisha was phenominal as well...

In the Biography cateogory, "I am Ozzy" is one of the best, and funniest rock biographies I've ever read....I've never laughed out loud so much from a book before.

I'm sure there are plenty of others, but I can't think of them right now.
  • gabbylab
    gabbylab Posts: 146
    Options
    Pillars of the Earth is my all time favorite book. Followed closely by another Follet, Night Over Water.
    Stephen King's The Stand and the Dark Tower Series are also some of my favorites.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Alvin Maker Series by Orson Scott Card and the Anne of Green Gables Series by LM Montgomery and Lisey's Story by Stephen King...I'm a little schizoid.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I am constantly reading and typically have 2-3 books going at a time.

my all-time favorites though?

Gone with the Wind-Margaret Mitchell
    The Good Earth=Pearl S. Buck
    The Shining-Stephen King

Those are three that I have read and re-read over and over again.
  • amlygo
    amlygo Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My first favorite book is Anne of Green Gables. I still love Anne and all of L.M. Montgomery's books. It's so hard to pick favorites but a few are
    Pillars of the Earth- Ken Follett
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn- Betty Smith
    Adrian Mole books by Sue Townsend
  • eidc
    eidc Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The series that really got me into reading were the Nancy Drew mysteries. Now I read anything and everything. But a good murder mystery is always on my bedside table!
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I have been a book geek since I could read...My first set of favorites were the "Betsy/Tacy/Tib" series by Maud Hart Lovelace. I felt like those girls were my best friends.:wink:

My first "grownup" book that I fell in love with (sometime in 6th or 7th grade) was Richard Bach's Jonathan Livingston Seagull.
  • bdtyson77302
    bdtyson77302 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Stupid and Contagious by Caprice Crane.....hysterical!!
    If you need to laugh...reading this will do it! :)