What it Looks Like to Weigh Yourself Everyday

Options

Replies

• seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every day, but I do not record it every day. I have kind of a different system than most folks. I too like to get a better understanding of my normal weight fluctuations, see what a difference it makes when I am drinking lots of water, when it's that time of the month, etc. I normally step on the scale at least twice a day - once first thing in the morning, and once in the evening.

So, for recording - what I do is mentally keep track of where I'm averaging between my morning, in-the-buff, pre-breakfast weight and my evening weight. I don't log my weight at consistent intervals - rather, I log when I have lost a pound (I would also log if I gained a pound but that has not happened during my process). So during times that I stayed the same, I just went longer in between logging my weight.

Some might say this isn't the best way to go about it, but it has worked for me - I've lost 33 pounds over 9 months.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning and record every friday.

This. I don't let the daily fluctuations bother me...
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning in my bra and panties after using the restroom (before eating or drinking a thing.) My weight is usually consistent (in terms of ups and downs.)

I usually only log when my weight goes down :)
  • MaggieKillNMaul
    MaggieKillNMaul Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to hear that other people do this too...I record my lowest weights as well. Ultimately, I try to focus on how my clothes fit, but watching the scale and seeing my body fluctuate and knowing the patterns really helps me!
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning at the same time right after I get up.

I think it is very instructive to understand how much your weight can fluctuate over a period of time. My weight loss chart is very similar to the one you posted with perhaps even more drastic ups/downs however the general trend is very much downward.

As an engineer I can't have too much data! More! More! Bring me more!

My personal feeling is that the conventional advice to weigh yourself once per week is incorrect. I believe it can be very misleading.
  • cjenkins91
    cjenkins91 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I wrote this on my wall a few days ago, and on my facebookpage.

"Weigh ins.. A friend wanted me to discuss this. So I will. What is the best time to weigh in? Once a week, or daily? I believe a daily weigh in is best, every morning. You will see your weight go up and down. You will see how your body reacts to certain types of foods(high sodium/carbs). You will also notice a gain of a few lbs is no big deal, it's natural, it will be gone soon. You will also notice patterns of times you weigh less. For me I would weigh less mid week, heavier earlier in the week.Before I decided to weigh in daily I would weigh myself every monday(worst possible day for me to weigh in). If you weigh yourself one day a week, you might be weighing yourself on your worst possible day... Once you weigh in daily, the only thing that matters is new lows, your lowest number of the week, record that, ignore the rest. Remember It takes 3,500 calories to gain 1lbs of fat. If you have a TDEE of 2,000 calories, to gain 1lbs in 1 day you would have to eat 5,500 calories. If you didn't do it... it's not fat, stop stressing."

Sooo true! Great advice!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    People get to obsessed about weight numbers ( I hold my hands up I have too). No offense meant but it seems to me daily weighers are even more obsessed. I'm trying to get healthier and fitter. The numbers on the scale are a guide for me. They are not the be all and end all. As long as the trend is downward I'm happy. Monitoring your bodies fluctuations in weight through the week I just can't see the point. Overall the numbers aren't that important they are just a guide of your overall health.

What's more important to me is that I'm in smaller clothes I did a PB on my normal running route today after swimming 3000 metres. These to me are far more telling numbers of my health and fitness than a daily fluctuating number on a scale.

Each to their own though and if it works for you good luck but there is no right or wrong way there is just what works for you.
  • lindseygibeault
    Options
    Im trying to weigh myself every 2 weeks but I usually end up doing twice a week.
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but use a five day moving average to help smooth out the noise (see the green and blue lines in the chart).
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1014524-how-accurate-are-mfp-weight-loss-estimates-one-example
  • kayaksara
    kayaksara Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day in the morning right when I get out of bed. I record it when I hit the next whole number down. It is motivating to me to stay on track. I wouldn't say I am obsessive about it. Probably because my weight does not fluctuate. And I lose on average no more than 1/2 pound a week. My daily routine is very similar -eating, exercising, sleeping. This weekend I had lots of entertaining to do and gave myself the liberty to eat whatever I wanted. Saw the scale go up 3 pounds. Not freaking out at all. All part of the process. I probably won't be able to record a weight loss for weeks but weighing in every day will keep reminding me that everyday counts and to keep going. Works for me.
  • bowsandpearls
    Options
    I weigh myself 2x a day, once when I wake up and once when I go to sleep. I don't concentrate on being a certain number, but I like to know my range which usually fluctuates between 3lbs a day. I know some people think this is weighing myself too frequently, but like some other posters above I find comfort in numbers. I am maintaining and it helps me keep on track better than once a week.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    To answer the question in the thread title, here's what it looks like:
    https://www.beeminder.com/brianogilvie/goals/weigh

I focus on the skinny purple line - an exponentially smoothed weighted average - rather than on the individual data points. It's useful to know my normal range of fluctuation. As long as most data points are below the weighted average, I'm headed in the right direction. Once I reach my goal, I'll use the weighted average as an early warning system to keep from gaining the weight back.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning as soon as I get out of the shower.

I like data. I like data with high granularity.

Also, I can totally frack up progress in just a week. I bet I could put on 10 pounds in a week if I decided to. The scale keeps you focused.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Every morning first thing, love it!

libra.jpg
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily if I'm in town. I only record on Tuesday morning (or Wednesday if I'm not home on Tuesday). I like to see the fluctuations so that if I'm up Tuesday but was down the rest of the week, I don't worry about it. This week I've been trending up ALL week though, so I'm not excited about weigh in. I did have a gluttonous weekend, but I've got it set to 1.5/week loss, but so far I'm showing a 3 pound loss - exactly what I lost last week (week 1 was last week). Ugh.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    What is the most you see your weight fluctuate from one day to the next?

5 whole pounds!!!
  • 1goodgranny
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week. I know it fluctuates and I stressed about those weeks when I hadn't lost a thing, then I realized that my clothes fit better and I felt better, so I quit stressing about weight.
    Now I'm only 1.8 lbs from my goal weight and my average weight loss was 1.5 lbs a week. I wasn't burning it up by any means, but I stuck with it.
    Consistency was key for me.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and I claim the lowest number I see as my weight while I am losing and I keep seeing consistently lower numbers. I don't go back up for a day or two where the number is a little higher. Am I mentally giving myself a slight lead on where I really am? Maybe, but horse races are won by a nose; no one cares where the stirrups are. Also, while it is possible to temporarily weigh more than what you might consider your current weight, it is pretty much impossible to weigh significantly less. When I hit my goal, I will change my thinking and keep losing until I don't see a number above my goal for several days.

EDIT - biggest swing I have ever seen was 6# up from day before and 2 days later a pound below. It was a really salty but tasty dinner that caused that.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    What is the most you see your weight fluctuate from one day to the next?

1-3 times a day. It fluctuates a lot. I try to be as empty as possible but some days it randomly shoots up. Think I have Ocd now, take too much pleasure out of tracking cals and weigh ins. lol
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Usually around once a month-when I was losing weight I wouldn't let myself get on the scale more than once a week, since it derailed my efforts when I would get frustrated with my fluctuations.

Most of the naturally thin people I know don't weigh themselves often. Makes sense...