Options
    A Fine Balance, Rohintin Mystry
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    God Don't Like Ugly By Mary Monroe
  • mylittletribe
    Options
    So hard to choose just one... My Favorite children's book has always been "Where the Wild Things Are" My favorite classic book is "The Great Gatsby", and yes I have seen the new movie, and LOVED it! My favorite "newish" book is "Duma Key" by Stephen King. Pretty much what I am reading at the time obsesses me, but those have stuck with me always for some reason.

WtWTA absolutely! And Happy birthday, Maurice Sendak! Did you see today's Google Doodle?
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Ah-maz-ing series.
  • 111orBust
    111orBust Posts: 41
    Options
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut. Just. Awesome.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    So, I have a Creative Writing B.A. and took many literature classes, but besides a serious literary ones like Jane Eyre and short stories like The Story of an Hour and The Lottery, my favorite books are adventure and fantasy! Whoo! XD Haha, but as for the ones that made it to my heart first...

Sweet Valley High, Boxcar Kids, Animorphs, and Goosebumps. (And there are more.)

I will never be ashamed of my mystery/fantasy obsession. X3

Why would you be ashamed? LOL

Haha, so many people consider genre books not as smart as classical literature. But it's so much more fun. ;)

I can see what you are saying. Actually, books like Great Expectations and Pride and Prejudice bore me to tears. I have always been more into Sci-Fi or Fantasy.

I spent years telling people you wouldn't be interested in what I was reading. Now its popular. In High School though it was hard explaining to the male teacher that I as a girl would rather read A Tale of Two Cities or Catcher in the Rye than Jane Eyre, Great Expections or the Scarlet Letter.

FYI, to the person who started this thread thank you, I got so many ideas for more books.
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I love reading and have a very wide range of tastes, anything from biographies to true crimes, murder mystery to chick lit, depending on my mood, but I suppose the first book to ever make a real impression on me was Wuthering Heights which I studied in school. Have read that so many times and even have a leather bound copy of the book and the original film on DVD
  • sandy_jane
    sandy_jane Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have so many favourites Jane Eyre being one of them but the first book that blew me away was Christine by Stephen King when i was 14 before that it was all Enid Blyton and Raold Dahl
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Ah! So hard to pick just one...But the one I re-read most often and love dearly is 'Revolution' by Jennifer Donnelly.
  • mward2008
    mward2008 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The Bible
  • rtarpley
    rtarpley Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The book of Genesis is my favorite. It is also the oldest and most read book in history.
  • SwolfeC
    SwolfeC Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Catch 22!!
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Hands down -- Gone With the Wind :heart:
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Holy smokes! Going through these books has reminded me of soooo many that are good. Ugh. Well, here goes...from the top of my head.

The Last Lion - Biography of Winston Churchill
    Ender's Game (forgot about that...awesome book)
    Dresden Files.
    Of Mice and Men.
    The Stand - Probably the best single SK book
    The THree Investigoators series. Started my love of reading.

Ugh. Way too many to think of. Love this thread.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
  • mylittletribe
    Options
    Sandman - Neil Gaiman

I so need to read this. I am reading Anansi Boys now, only 100 pages in and just love his style.

How did I forget Gaiman? Neverwhere! Amazing book.
    And someone else mentioned Gabaldon's Outlander series. LOVE it, or at least the first few books. I petered out mid Drums of Autumn. Eventually I'll finish, but I could definitely just read the first book over and over. Aye, Sassenach.
  • nytius
    nytius Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Anything by Clive Barker or Neil Gaiman.

I'm a big horror fan so Clive is on my list as well. I also like guys like Richard Laymon, Jack Ketchum, Brian Keene...ect.

Brian Keene is so under rated!! Love him.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    The Mirror (1978) by Marlys Millhiser. A close second would be The Threshold (1984) by the same author.
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    The Seven Storey Mountain by Thomas Merton. I've given away countless copies.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Anything by Clive Barker or Neil Gaiman.

I'm a big horror fan so Clive is on my list as well. I also like guys like Richard Laymon, Jack Ketchum, Brian Keene...ect.

Brian Keene is so under rated!! Love him.

You have to love Dark Hollow! Strange, weird, creepy but awesome.