Vacation? Where are you going or want to go?

Options

Replies

• mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm going to New Orleans and Mississippi in July...and then to Croatia in August for a music festival - wahey!

Some of my favourite ever vacations:

- Nepal (trekking, bumming around the lake in Pokhara, watching my hubby bungee jump off a bridge...)
    - Leh in northern India
    - New Zealand is just beautiful
    - Raileh beach in Thailand
    - Trekking and rafting along the Thai-Burmese border
    - Istanbul city break
    - Lebanon! Vineyards, roman ruins, awesome seafood, Hezbollah museum!
    - Varkala beach in southern India
    - San Francisco and Santa Barbara city breaks
    - Blue Ridge mountains in North Carolina
    - Halong bay and Hanoi in Vietnam

Yes, I am very lucky.

Ok, I get New Orleans being on your destination list, but what the hell are you going to see or do in Mississippi? LOL

I love Natchez, MS, especially in the Springtime when the magnolias are blooming and the town gets all decked out in Civil War era costumes and hosts house tours.
    Lots of battlefield and historic sites. The mighty river from the top of the bluffs is amazing, you won't get that view in New Orleans.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Heading to the Florida Keys, Dry Tortugas, then to the Bahamas! :drinker:
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Miami
  • Chopstheduck
    Chopstheduck Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    CALIFORNIA!! I can't wait. Flying into LA, driving to san diego, Las vegas, then San Francisco.

Been to Florida and wasn't over keen - didn't like Miami, and the keys was ok, Key west was quite nice. Went to the superbowl last year and loved Chicago, and Indianapolis - that was probably my best ever holiday. Went to Montréal a few months ago, and loved that too, and really want to go back to Canada and go to Toronto.

As far as Europe goes - didn't like Milan much - preferred Verona, and not overly keen on Paris. Loved Venice, Amsterdam, Salzburg (Austria), Germany (stayed between Hanover and Hamburg, Geneva. Madrid and Barcelona are nice too. Brussels is ok, Bruges is better, and Luxembourg city is easily overlooked but very pretty.
    I'm travelling around Europe for 4 months next year! It's only been recently decided, and I'd absolutely love to see Italy and Greece. Has anyone got any suggestions of places I MUST see when there!?
    I'd say def do Amsterdam, Venice, Barcelona, Salzburg, Geneva or Zurich, and London. I'm probably biased as I live 20 miles away, but I do think London is one of the best cities to visit in Europe!

I really want to go to New Orleans and New York.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Hi you asked about Cuba and I am sure you will have a great time :)

Me n hubby went on a 2 week holiday 1st week at Varadero and the 2nd week was supposed to be Havana.

The all inclusive hotel was full of prostitutes, people having sex in the sea right by the edge of the beach in full view of everyone. there were rent boys sitting on sun loungers discussing their fees. But the worst thing was the amount of paedophiles approaching little girls, it really turned our stomachs.

The hotel we were in, the AC was dripping, the restaurant ...the food was covered in flies we had to put napkins over our heads and food to try to keep the flies from landing on the food. We lived on bread from the bottom of the basket where the flies did not land and bananas because they were still in the skin.

I got so sick that we decided not to carry on to Havana. We spent £2000 to get home it took us around 37 hours with all the internal flights etc. to get back to the UK

But I do know people that have been to different parts of Cuba that have enjoyed the holiday...it was just for us that, is was our worst nightmare. Maybe it was just where we stayed lol!

Club Amigo was the name of the hotel...steer clear!!!

Oh but the nice bit was the beach and sea were beautiful to look at when it wasn`t full of the above people
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I love Disnyworld! You're going to have a great time. I'm going to California in two weeks.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Our vacations are staying close to home this year. :-) Disneyland and SF, cruise to Catalina and Ensenada next week, and then Vegas in November - celebrating our 11th anniversary and running the RnR half. Good stuff! :-)
  • lundii
    lundii Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Two years ago I was in Iceland and Greenland. I fell in love with this countries at once. Such a beautiful landscape.
    And I was in Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands, Italy... don't forget to visit Rome and Venice when you ever come to Europe!
    I love Switzerland and of course Germany.
    This summer I am going to spend my vacations in Fuerteventura... one of the Canary Islands.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    so jealous of you world travelers
  • wildcat808
    wildcat808 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i would love to go back to europe! this time i would explore england, scotland and ireland. i would also like to visit thailand, bali and japan.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Spending a month in Peru in September. I. CANNOT. WAIT.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I've been living in Japan for a year now and I love it. I don't want to go back to the states.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    so jealous of you world travelers

I know that for some people it's not realistic (I spent many years married to a spendthrift when DS was small and there was no money left for that kind of travel if I wanted to pay the bills and save for retirement). For current DH and me it's a priority and we spend a lot less than others in our income bracket so we can travel. We own one car (DH is retired), I cut DH's hair (he doesn't have much), we rarely go out to eat because we like our home and DH's cooking. We also put everything on hotel and mileage credit cards and pay them off in full. Our last trip, which included 8 hotel nights, business class flights and all food and museum entries, cost us under $2K out of pocket, Of course we don't have a lot of miles or Marriott points left!
  • mitch356356
    Options
    IBIZAAaAaaAaaaaa
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Nice and Juan-les-Pins, France in July. Really looking forward to it!
  • danicaliforn1a
    danicaliforn1a Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Going away to Jamaica the end of August with my boyfriend of 5 years. The vacation to celebrate his mothers 60th birthday and all of her family will be there. Some of which I havent ever met. I am working hard now so that I will actually wear my bikini on the beach.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    In less than 4 weeks we are going on a 2 week cruise of the Norwegian Ffiords/Iceland and the Faroe Islands....cannot wait yippee :-D
    oh and I could mention all the places we've been before but it would be a long one lol

I feel truly blessed to have our boys rared and now hubby and I can vacation 3 times a year and we're only in our 40's, thats why having family young is fab lol :-D
  • jillsjourney
    jillsjourney Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    We leave in 10 days for Okoboji! I am so excited, it is our first family vacation in years!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    To the desert for some biking adventures

or

to a beach somewhere, just sitting under a tree or umbrella and drinking all damn day.
  • karen91967
    karen91967 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am going on a cruise next month- on the Carnival Liberty! It is our 10th - we love to cruise! We are going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Honduras and Belize!!