• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Genetics alone, clearly.

tumblr_m1u26obGsf1qahyaco1_400.gif?width=320&height=180
  • Melampus
    Melampus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    We have the first law of thermodynamics conversation of energy. Briefly energy cannot be created or destroyed only converted from one form to another including being stored or released from storage. If if you find a situation where energy appears to be being created it is being released from storage instead. This is true of burning things, radiance from the sun and nuclear power.

So as this applies to the body the energy released by digesting the food eaten minus the energy used must equal the (incremental) amount stored as fat. In any given time period if this difference is positive (more taken in than used) that will correspond to increase in fat and if the difference is negative (more used than taken in) that ill correspond to a decrease in fat.

So if two people eat the same number of calories as each other and one gets fat and the other doesn't then the difference must lie in the amount of energy used by each person. A difference in obvious and measurable physical activity may be part of the difference but there will likely be differences in BMR which, while it can be measured, is more generally estimated and maybe not very accurately. The obvious explanation for studies that found that some people, at least, maintain a stable weight in the face of large changes in calorie intake is that the body balances those with similar changes in energy use. That is a far more believable explanation that one that suggests we have found a unique exception to basic rules of physics.
    The amount that people eat when just left to themselves without thinking about calories varies enormously. Left to myself, I'd easy eat 3000-5000 calories a day. One of my friends who "eats whatever he wants and doesn't gain weight" consumes more like 1900-2200. I've actually observed and calculated this for several people. He eats almost nothing but junk food and fast food. He just doesn't eat nearly as much of it as I tend to.

It is interesting to consider the possibility that the people eating the junk food don't get fat not despite eating the junk food but because the eat the junk food. The current obesity epidemic seems to have really taken off since low fat eating has become mainstream. There are at least a couple of theories that relate to this:

1. Fat is often replaced with sugar to make a tasty product. It has been proposed that sugar and other highly refined carbs create a hormonal environment that causes enegy to be stored rather than used, i.e. they reduce BMR.

2. It has also been suggested that fat plays a role in saiety. So the skinny person who eats the meal full of fat feels full on a smaller portion (and fewer calories) than the person who opts for the low fat meal. We tend to think of fat as being high calorie but portion size has much to do with it. A smaller portion of a fat-rich meal can be lower calorie than a larger portion of a carbohydrate rich meal particularly if the carbohydrate rich meal is bigger to get the same level of satisfaction.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    What I've wanted to understand is how those tiny *kitten* chinese or japanese girls just plow through food and stay tiny.

I mean plow through food. I was at an L&L last time I was in hawaii. Three little japanese girls at a table. Each one had a large loco moco, plus there were two orders of spam musubi on the table, two open bags of beard papa they were eating from, and an additional pair of large meal boxes with mac salad and spare ribs.

They ate all of it and ordered more mac salad.

I couldn't finish my medium loco moco. wtf?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    What I've wanted to understand is how those tiny *kitten* chinese or japanese girls just plow through food and stay tiny.

I mean plow through food. I was at an L&L last time I was in hawaii. Three little japanese girls at a table. Each one had a large loco moco, plus there were two orders of spam musubi on the table, two open bags of beard papa they were eating from, and an additional pair of large meal boxes with mac salad and spare ribs.

I know a lot of people like that. Many of them eat just that one meal. Some of them head to the bathroom and purge afterward. Both are quite common.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I once had a Chinese postdoc cook a meal for me and two of my friends, and we're all large people. So, she cooked the amount of food she figured it would take to feed people as large as we were. The food was actually incredibly healthy (not like Chinese takeout in the US), and there was massive quantities. And we'd have to consume twice to three times as much to get the same number of calories as a typical Chinese takeout.

Even if you see them out eating crap, they could be home eating incredibly health 95% of the time.
  • RawrWolfie
    RawrWolfie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    u shouldnt be checking out ur sister bro
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Last Sunday I ate waffle for breakfast, KFC crispy chicken and sweet corn for lunch, and Hardee's Jim Beam quarter pounder burger for dinner. I also drank one large McDonald's ice coffee. I weighed myself this morning, and I didn't gain anything. I actually lost a little weight.

To others it may seem that I eat all junk and not gain weight. Well, I counted the calories of every single thing, and I'm still netting under my daily goal, especially since I spent an hour riding a bicycle and most of the day walking around.

Also, I used sugar free syrup and no butter on my waffle, only two pieces of fried chicken with a cup of sweet corn, and the burger by itself with no fries & no soda.

Just count your calories, it works.
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Last Sunday I ate waffle for breakfast, KFC crispy chicken and sweet corn for lunch, and Hardee's Jim Beam quarter pounder burger for dinner. I also drank one large McDonald's ice coffee. I weighed myself this morning, and I didn't gain anything. I actually lost a little weight.

To others it may seem that I eat all junk and not gain weight. Well, I counted the calories of every single thing, and I'm still netting under my daily goal, especially since I spent an hour riding a bicycle and most of the day walking around.

Also, I used sugar free syrup and no butter on my waffle, only two pieces of fried chicken with a cup of sweet corn, and the burger by itself with no fries & no soda.

I think most people are talking nutrients (micro and macro) when they speak of "junk", not calories.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Ohhh... I watch my macros and micros and just eat whatever's needed to meet and exceed those numbers. I really don't care about calories. :)
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options

While I don't know what much of that is, I think we all know someone who eats a family size bag of chips and drinks a 2L of sugary soda, and stays skinny... most of those people that I know, when I thought about it, that was pretty much all they'd eat that day, and then over the next days, aware of it or not, they'd make up for any of the excess. As much as I might call it a sickness, it sounds like awareness of what your body needs to survive.
  • Hexahedra
    Options

I think most people are talking nutrients (micro and macro) when they speak of "junk", not calories.

The stuff I ate that Sunday qualify as junk food by any standard, what made the difference was I didn't eat too much and I balanced it with exercise.

The nutrition professor in the CNN article ate mostly sugary vending machine snacks, mixed with doritos, sugary cereals, and oreos. That's as junky as they come, the only way he can do worse is by eating pure dextrose. He lost 27 lbs in two months. His cholesterol and triglycerides went down significantly as well.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Wishful thinking. There really are naturally skinny people out there, why try to blame it on something?

* maybe it's because we've never dieted for weight loss?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I wish I could unsubscribe from this thread...
  • Hexahedra
    Options
    Ohhh... I watch my macros and micros and just eat whatever's needed to meet and exceed those numbers. I really don't care about calories. :)

If your only goal is to lose weight, the CNN article proves that macros don't matter, calories do. If your goal is to create a certain kind of lean look, then macros become more important.
  • mummy2b19
    Options
    Here is an interesting fact, for all you people who say its purely down to calorie intake. Now my husband is 32 he has a driving job and works nights. All things that affect metabolism. ie sedentry lifestyle and disrupted working/ eating hours. Since starting my fitness pal i have been recording both our calorie intakes. I eat 1800 a day and he eats between 4800 and 5000 calories a day!!! now I gain weight easily and he never gains weight! He is 12st and 6ft he has 5 meals a day and has been this way for the last 3 years. his diet is a lot of fried foods, pasta with loads of full fat cheese and chineses loads of protein. He has large portions but rarely snacks on chocolate sweets or crisps or chips he rarely has desert.
    The only thing I can put it down to is his body type/genetics. when we first got together he was very lean, 20 and about 10.5 stone. but he was very muscly and still has a high natural muscle to fat proportion. he is always starving and gets ratty if he doesn't eat every 3-4 hours. I feel age has something to do with it it is easier to stay thin the younger you are and also probably the type of bad food he is eating. His large calorie intake is high in fats and protien and not high in sugar and carbs. Maybe this is the key for some body types, either way he is a jammy sod who definately should be the size of a small house.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    food doesnt make you fat, TOO MUCH food makes you fat....

^^this