Whats up with the unfriendly pple in MFP???

Hi everyone,

I have recently started my weight loss journey (5 days) and I signed up with MFP from the beginning. As you might have experienced the first weeks are the worst but I'm still happy to be doing this. I find MFP very helpful and I love reading through "success stories" but its such a turn off to encounter some posts where it says "DO NOT COMMENT ON THIS CHALLENGE UNLESS YOU ARE PART OF THE 100 PEOPLE THAT ARE ALREADY PART OF THE GROUP. " or do not add/msge if you don't know me. Are we back to highschool??? I thought we're here to support each other with our weight loss challenges!!! Anyway, I would love to get some support.

Replies

• NicoleFray
    NicoleFray Posts: 82 Member
    Yeah some people can get mean. I commented on a post to try and help someone and someone jumped in saying how wrong I was and its all off even though what i said made me loose 20 lbs and my trainer told me it lol. Its really annoying but I just brush it off cause no matter what they're gunna be b*tchy :/
  • Pnuke77
    Pnuke77 Posts: 23
    I get that feeling here as well. Some people think that everyone has to do things they way they do it or they're wrong. Wish they had an ignore button.
  • Hattieross
    Hattieross Posts: 17
    Well, you don't really know ME but know I support YOU!!!!!

I just turn "negative" people on "OFF" and stick with those that are positive.

Keep your eye on your goal and know there are others out there, just like you, who are doing the same thing.

Onward!
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Definitely some territorial crap that goes on. Just ignore it :smile:
  • nellenelli
    nellenelli Posts: 6 Member
    Maybe it is the lack of food and people are just hangry :(
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    It's honestly the nature of the internet. The best thing you can do is click the little arrow next to their username and select "Ignore user".
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Yeah, it's kind of weird to me that some people are so adament about leaving a message when you send a friend request. As if the world will blow up if I send you a friend invite without introducing myself. They can just deny the ones they don't want to accept, right?

Yesterday I noticed a lot of pushy people in the forums. I find it amusing sometimes. I wonder if they're like that in real life too.
  • ramalem
    ramalem Posts: 1,066 Member

Keep your eye on your goal and know there are others out there, just like you, who are doing the same thing.

Onward!

This!
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    There are some people on here who think there is only one way to lose weight, but there are a lot more who just want to support you.

Don't listen to any of the negativity, ignore them if you have to. Tell them you only eat 1200 calories a day, that really pisses them off.
  • gabbylab
    gabbylab Posts: 146
    It's a community like any other. Take the good with the bad. I've been here just a little over two weeks and found most of what I've read to be quite helpful.
  • It's honestly the nature of the internet. The best thing you can do is click the little arrow next to their username and select "Ignore user".

Agreed. Just ignore people if you don't like it.

You've got to realize too a lot of us are asked the same questions by new people day in and day out with them checking the threads for similar questions. It gets tiring on us too, you know. Also the amount of people who post things like "magic diet, does this really work?" "why can't i lose weight when I eat 1200 calories?", "lifting is going to make me look manly!". All myths, and some people don't research. Hence leaving us who have been here a while to just repeat ourselves constantly.

I also rarely add people unless they attach a message to their friends request. I already have a lot of support, and I feel if my story is similar to someone's or if they can relate to me or have questions for me then they'll let me know. I'm not in this for popularity, like a lot of people are it seems. I have a good amount of friends and I do ok, but some people add like 600 friends and try and keeping up with everyone is a nightmare. Just my opinion, anyways. I actually check my friends food logs, and comment and give them support. That's hard to do with 600 people.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member

Onward!

Agree
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Remember that all of our different beliefs about weight loss and how to do it are all coming together in one place. You have to do what is best for you and your body. You can certainly take help from anyone, but those with strong beliefs about how things work for them are often expressed in full here!!

Find the positive people and friend them, and then they become your little community here on MFP. There are literally 100s of different theories out there in the health/nutrition world and there is NO right or wrong way. There is only the way that works best for YOU and YOUR specific situation.

You will find lots of inspiration here and many who will give opinions without getting nasty! Stick to what you know is right for you and you will do great!

Good luck in your journey!!
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Maybe it is the lack of food and people are just hangry :(

:laugh:
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Stick to the "success" board, that's just about the only one where the usual BS does not occur. Otherwise, MFP forums are not unique from any other internet forums where people can (and do) post whatever they please. You'll notice that the same few dozen people make most of the posts, and should you dare to disagree with one of these few dozen, prepare to get reamed.

You cannot control others, you can only control yourself. It's great that you're doing this, and also great that you're reaching out for support. However, I'd stay away from the forums if you feel like negativity is going to affect your motivation.

Best of luck to you!
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Ooooh, I didn't see that. I'd likely comment anyway. I am a rule breaker by nature :devil:
  • lizplaster
    lizplaster Posts: 10 Member
    Yeah, some people are really picky. I've come back on after several months off to find that I was deleted by several people that were huge encouragements to me in the beginning. Now I'm looking for new encouragement.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    I get that feeling here as well. Some people think that everyone has to do things they way they do it or they're wrong. Wish they had an ignore button.

There is....the little arrow under the avatar of the person you want to ignore...click it and click "ignore user". Works like a charm. :wink:
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Very sad to hear about your experience on here . Yes some are extremely rude and immature. Just be the bigger person and ignore them.

I have had my fair share of hate mail..in reality..they can't bring me down.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    I'm just not friendly.