Vegetarian due to ethics

Options

Replies

• SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Just saying you are "enlightened" tells me you are elitist as you are also saying that people that eat meat are not. Your other comments also suggest you have yourself on quite the pedestal.

great, thanks for your educated input on who I am and what I think. I appreciate it!

I'm actually surprised that people continue to take you seriously after you claimed that livestock were 'routinely raped'. You are either winding people up or live in your own little dystiopian bubble.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    As somebody who grew up raising our own ducks, geese, chickens, pigeons, and for a while pigs, for the table, with a dad who hunted and fished to fill the freezer, and who right now has baby ducklings that will be butchered for meat in the fall, I don't understand this attitude at all. That's what farm animals are for, their reason for existence. We pay for their feed and care, they reward us with dinner.

How do you know that's what "farm animals" are for? I mean, where is that written? I mean any animal can be raised on a farm, I recently heard of a man farming lion meat..
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Just saying you are "enlightened" tells me you are elitist as you are also saying that people that eat meat are not. Your other comments also suggest you have yourself on quite the pedestal.

great, thanks for your educated input on who I am and what I think. I appreciate it!

I'm actually surprised that people continue to take you seriously after you claimed that livestock were 'routinely raped'. You are either winding people up or live in your own little dystiopian bubble.

Well how do factor farm animals get pregnant?
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Well how do factor farm animals get pregnant?
    When a mommy cow and a daddy cow love each other very much..... :wink:

Just trying to lighten the mood in here. :flowerforyou:
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I am a struggling vegetarian because I want to live a healthier life. (I feel that eating little to no meat helps me accomplish this goal).

Personally, I am no part of the Vegan crowd with regards to eating animals or using animal products.

BUT! And it's a big BUT! I have some very big problems with factory farms. What animals destined for human consumption are feed and how they are treated is not moral or ethical. As an example, anti-biotics are added to animal feed to build muscle mass quickly. Part of my move away from meat is that I have questions about how farming like this will affect my health over the long term.

I have no moral or ethical issue with eating naturally grazed animals nor do I have any problems with eating hunted wild game.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I'm not a veggie, but it does irritate me when people say vegetarians are hypocrits because their medicin is tested on animals, or this and that has been near an animal. The vegetarians are just trying to live their lives doing as little harm to other beings as possible. It's impossible to live your life completely free of harm to animals, but at least they try to minimize it.
    I have quite a few veggie friends. None of them have ever "preached" vegetarianism, yet all of them have been taunted by meat eaters at some point. I have seen it with my own eyes while having dinner or lunch with them that people ask them about their food choices when they order something without meat and then proceed to wave their steak or whatever in the veggie's face.
    It is true that some vegetarian act superior, but the far majority is just trying to be good for the planet and its inhabitants.
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    These threads just depress me. I'm vegetarian because I've basically been left unable to digest meat after becoming very ill (hospitalized) in Peru a few years ago. Getting rid of meat in my diet has made my GI issues virtually non-existent and I am so happy with how I now feel that I can't imagine going back.

I'm not a short order cook so my family has changed along with me. Originally they would both eat meat at lunch (cold cuts) and eat meat when we were out for dinner. My daughter (13) decided last fall that she wanted to become fully vegetarian. We both supported her in that decision and talked about nutrition etc. For her it was a love of animals that inspired her choice.

She never makes her friends feel bad, she tells them not to be silly when they worry because they mention how much they want a burger or whatever. She askes if she can bring her own food to parties (veggie burgers) or if a cheese pizza can be ordered, etc, and/or offers to eat the sides and skip the mains. She very much identifies it as a personal choice.

My husband has stopped eating meat at lunch. He says being mostly vegetarian seems to suit his system and that any digestive issues he had before seem to have disappeared. He still eats meat occasionally when we're out for dinner. Neither my daughter or I give him any grief for it.

But what really gets me is that we don't give our family or friends any grief for their eating habits and not a single one of them has given us grief for ours. Both have gone out of their way to make sure there's something we can eat at meals and/or they're okay with us bringing something. No one's ever complained about eating vegetarian at our place and usually we're actually asked for recipes so they can try them at home.

So it amazes me that everyone is so at odds because we haven't encountered any of the animosity evidenced in this thread in the year since we've gone veg.

Lastly, as far as eating vegetarian or vegan but not feeling like you can give up meat, then don't. I read about Kathy Freston and a friend who said he'd never be able to give up his favourite cheeseburger. She just shrugged and said, so don't give it up. Eat vegan or vegetarian most of the time and have your cheeseburger when you feel like it.

Which kind of applies to all "diets" really. If you can't give up your chips or your pop tarts or whatever, then fine, don't give them up. Eat "healthy" 90% of the time and indulge 10%. You're still doing your body better than you were.
  • mazzasweet
    mazzasweet Posts: 266 Member
    Options

Way to go - you used a big word!
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options

oh good grief! way to kill your own argument.
    ridiculing a person for using a common term? that's less than i would expect from a middle school child.
    inverse snobbery is a pathetic thing. it stops far too many people from striving to improve themselves.
  • mazzasweet
    Options

ridiculing a person for using a common term? that's less than i would expect from a middle school child.
    inverse snobbery is a pathetic thing. it stops far too many people from striving to improve themselves.

If you want to eat meat - eat meat. It's not good, bad or indifferent!
    But don't patronize and insult people who speak the truth.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    As somebody who grew up raising our own ducks, geese, chickens, pigeons, and for a while pigs, for the table, with a dad who hunted and fished to fill the freezer, and who right now has baby ducklings that will be butchered for meat in the fall, I don't understand this attitude at all. That's what farm animals are for, their reason for existence. We pay for their feed and care, they reward us with dinner.

How do you know that's what "farm animals" are for? I mean, where is that written? I mean any animal can be raised on a farm, I recently heard of a man farming lion meat..

That is why those species ( farm animals, meat animals) were domesticated in the first place, and that is why we feed them and house them and care for them,and butcher them when the time comes, for meat, instead of having to hunt them in the wild. THAT is what they are for. It doesn't need to be "written" anyplace. Jeez. Pretty obvious you didn't grow up in the country.
  • MelsAuntie
    Options
    Akimajuktuq - Who are you talking too? You obviously need to take it down a few notches girlfriend. I'm a veg but that does not make me think I am superior. You on the other hand have made it quite clear that you are superior.
    You're statement, "There is NOTHING unethical about eating wild animals, or farm animals that have been allowed to graze on grass/bugs, etc." Is a JOKE
    Where can I find beef that has been allowed to graze on grass? You need to do some serious research on slaughterhouse conditions my dear.

You DO understand that it's not difficult to find meat that's not been forced to live and grow in inhumane and horrid conditions, right? I think you're the one that needs to do some serious research before being judgmental about a food choice.

"Where do I find beef that has been allowed to graze on grass"? Um, the closest place that I can think of offhand is a mile and a half from our farm, Limousin cattle, raised in big rolling tree-dotted pastures.
  • glovepuppet
    Options

and what exactly does that have to do with being offended that somebody knew a word you didn't?

a grown up might... oh... google! google the term, learn something new.
    not poke fun at other people for using 'a long word'.

and you claim to be enlightened? does knowledge only count as a good thing if you get to feel like you have more?
  • MelsAuntie
    Options
    It is absolutely possible to love animals and care for their well-being and still use them for food, though some of the bunny-huggers and the PETA a-holes can't see it.
    Wow.

Yes, absolutely true. Personal lifelong experience.
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I guess they don't realize that animal by-products are used in many different things - from paper to WD-40 to clothing to...

So to me their arguments (ethical vs moral vs obligation) make no sense to me. White noise...

I'm sure they realize it. Good thing people don't have to be perfect 100% of the time for it to matter. If our only choices in life were to do nothing or to do every.single.thing. , we'd all be in a lot of trouble.
  • mazzasweet
    Options

and what exactly does that have to do with being offended that somebody knew a word you didn't?

and you claim to be enlightened? does knowledge only count as a good thing if you get to feel like you have more?

I was being mocked and you darn well know that - you're just trying to be cute. Instead of cute maybe find yourself some manners. You don't know who people really are behind screen names and you don't know my experience in domestic and farm animal rescue and the horrors I have witnessed.

Like I said earlier - eat meat or don't - It's a personal choice. I'm not preaching either way. BUT don't preach to me that slaughter like it's candy and sunshine - it's not.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Akimajuktuq - Who are you talking too? You obviously need to take it down a few notches girlfriend. I'm a veg but that does not make me think I am superior. You on the other hand have made it quite clear that you are superior.
    You're statement, "There is NOTHING unethical about eating wild animals, or farm animals that have been allowed to graze on grass/bugs, etc." Is a JOKE
    Where can I find beef that has been allowed to graze on grass? You need to do some serious research on slaughterhouse conditions my dear.

Trying leaving your house and getting to know people who grow food and raise animals in your area. (Oops, that might take some time and effort.)

I think I'm VERY clear in my comment that I do not condone factory farming. That includes factory farming of animals AND plants. Any farming practice that destroys soil is NOT ethical. Most people can find farmers in their area who care about the products they produce. Try supporting those people instead of Monsanto cash crops.
  • mazzasweet
    Options

You DO understand that it's not difficult to find meat that's not been forced to live and grow in inhumane and horrid conditions, right? I think you're the one that needs to do some serious research before being judgmental about a food choice.

"Where do I find beef that has been allowed to graze on grass"? Um, the closest place that I can think of offhand is a mile and a half from our farm, Limousin cattle, raised in big rolling tree-dotted pastures.

Excuse me miss, we don't all live in Michigan ... just sayin'.
  • glovepuppet
    Options

I was being mocked and you darn well know that - you're just trying to be cute. Instead of cute maybe find yourself some manners. You don't know who people really are behind screen names and you don't know my experience in domestic and farm animal rescue and the horrors I have witnessed.

Like I said earlier - eat meat or don't - It's a personal choice. I'm not preaching either way. BUT don't preach to me that slaughter like it's candy and sunshine - it's not.
    i don't need to try to be cute.

and, no, you genuinely offend me with your narrow minded disdaine for any vocabulary wider than your own.
    you weren't arguing his points, you weren't pointing out his mockery, you were pointing a petty finger at the 'big word', as if knowledge of your own language is something shameful.

attitudes like yours hold society back. attitudes like yours are why geeks feel ostracised and children hide their intellect.

i'm all for animal welfare. i put my money where my mouth is on that one. i'm glad you are aware that there are cruel practices and i'm glad you make others aware. i am, however, disgusted by that post.
  • MelsAuntie
    Options

Excuse me miss, we don't all live in Michigan ... just sayin'.
    [/quote

I'M not saying that he is the only farmer like this in the country, or that such meat is sold only in Michigan. Look in your own home area. Unless you live in Antarctica..... ]
This discussion has been closed.