road ethics

Options

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I see your point but riding your bumper is a way to tell you that I want to pass you.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I HATE people who ride my bumper if I am in the left lane, going OVER the speed limit and consistently passing cars in the right lane. I will get over and let anybody going faster than me pass, but not if I'm passing cars myself. You can just hold your horses, so get off my tail.

I was doing 84 (admittedly way faster than the flow of any other traffic) in the left lane with a wide open middle lane and right lane, when someone decided to honk and me, ride my *kitten* EVEN THOUGH THE OTHER LANE WAS OPEN AND HE COULD HAVE PASSED, and keep honking and carrying on. So I just went about my business and then he finally passed me and kept honking and went speeding off. Keep in mind I was already going 80+ so this guy must have been flying. I still have no idea why he took so long to pass, I'm not gonna move if I'm already going so fast. You wanna pass, feel free, but I was here first, dammit!
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    You want to know why? Because passing on the RIGHT is frowned upon. I don't like passing on the right. slower traffic keep right applies no matter how fast you are going.
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    One night me and a friend were coming home from an event. It was near midnight. We can across an accident that just literally happened. Two car loads of young teens coming home from a bon fire. Absolutely no drugs or alcohol was involved. Just going too fast on a freeway that was full of dips. One lost controlled and rolled seven times throwing 2 teens out. We were one of the first people there. I parked on the side of freeway, my friend used my flashlight to stop the traffic on the freeway. I went to the aid of the kids.

The one in the middle was dead. The rest were on the other side, so I went there. Another was dead. There were 3 others in critical condition. The kids in the other car were not injured and did not crash. They were in shock, devasted, cried for their parents, prayed it was a dream. I tried to console them, but really how?... One family came to the scene and was devasted. The police and EMT came to treat. These were all kids between 15-19. I was there helping for an hour before I went home-dazed.

I no longer care if I am late, in fact I even leave 20 minutes earlier than I use too, just to be safe. I let people in front of me, I get out of the way of those that have a need for speed. I have completely changed the way I drive. Nothing matters but getting there safe and alive.

So for those of you who are all macho... just remember the family you will leave behind. :frown:
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    I used to love driving. But it has gotten to the point that I avoid it as much as I possibly can because of the people on the road. Your behavior on the roads is really a reflection of your character...and it does not surprise me that people generally act selfish and stupid in vehicles, because they do that everywhere else. I want to move to a small town out in the country with little to no traffic.

Actually...I just want to build a spaceship and leave this planet.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    One of the scariest accidents I have ever seen involved someone driving on the exit lane and trying to merge back. The car in front of me started to move all the sudden as I was about to move I noticed on the side mirror a car comming fast so I stopped thinking it's a emergency vehicle. Well the chain reaction that happened next made me almost shyt my pants.

The car right in front of me swerved into the right side of the road to avoid the car a head of him. The timing just happened to coincide with the car speeding up from the exit lane. So much happened in the next 2 seconds that to this day I don't think my head still grasps it.

The speeding car hit the swerving car so hard that the back two tires of the speeding car elevated higher than I can see them from my right side window. The car that swerved got just mangled between the speeding car and the car he swerved away from. The SUV that stopped suddenly (2 ahead of me) somehow end it up on its left side and rammed into a car on the lane on the left, to this day I don't understand how it ended on its side. The final was 6 cars involved in the accident. It was like something out the movies except for no explosions part.

The human cost was relatively low for how bad it looked. The merging driver and the swerving driver ended up in ICU, with a bunch of broken stuff. Sadly, an 11 year old girl on the turned SUV ended up dying from a brain hemorrhage 10 days after, her mom the driver broke her collarbone. The other 3 cars didn't have anything bad right after. I got two summons to court to testify about it but never cared enough to check what was the final outcomes from court and what happened to the two guys healthwise.

This was back in 99 but to this day whenever I see a car accident or an aggressive driver on the D.C. beltway, I remember us pulling that little girl from the wreck.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I see your point but riding your bumper is a way to tell you that I want to pass you.

You could also use your signal? And then wait for a gap?
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

Could. Or flash the bights once. but if that person is in the left lane, that person is supposed to move over to the right so I can pass on the left. Passing on the right is not recommended.
  • nope31
    nope31 Posts: 174
    Options
    We could never be friends. I violate all road Logic.
  • anemoneprose
    Options

Could. Or flash the bights once. but if that person is in the left lane, that person is supposed to move over to the right so I can pass on the left. Passing on the right is not recommended.

Supposed to move over? According to which law?

There is no way I'm doing anything different just because someone tailgates me, and especially not if s/he does any of those things.

If I'm going with the flow of traffic, say 10-15 mph over the limit (a guess, I think in km), unless it's an ambulance behind me, that person can suck it and wait.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

There is no way I'm doing anything different just because someone tailgates me, and especially not if s/he does any of those things.

If I'm going with the flow of traffic, say 10-15 mph over the limit (guess, I think in km), unless it's an ambulance behind me, that person can suck it and wait.

That's the problem. Since when are you the speed police? If I'm going 80, and someone is running up behind me, I'll move over and let that guy pass and run police interference if he wants. I'd like to be shown the same courtesy. Why? Because you'll run into someone going 60mph in the left lane and won't budge because 60mph is the limit and no one should be exceeding it. See what I mean?
  • passwar
    passwar Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Honest question here,... Why don't you "travel in the exit lane to avoid traffic, then get back into lane right at the end"?
    Why does doing that make somebody a jerk?
  • anemoneprose
    Options

If I'm going with the flow of traffic, say 10-15 mph over the limit (guess, I think in km), unless it's an ambulance behind me, that person can suck it and wait.

That's the problem. Since when are you the speed police? If I'm going 80, and someone is running up behind me, I'll move over and let that guy pass and run police interference if he wants. I'd like to be shown the same courtesy. Why? Because you'll run into someone going 60mph in the left lane and won't budge because 60mph is the limit and no one should be exceeding it. See what I mean?

No, not because I"m the speed police, but because at that point I am stressed enough by the war tactics that I don't feel comfortable making the lane change. And in my case, if I'm even in the left lane, it's because a left turn is imminent. (I am talking about the 80km three-lane roads, hardly ever go on the highway.) Buddy can wait. Or slow down, get into the right lane, and pass me that way (or leave me enough space so I can get in there without wigging out.)
  • anemoneprose
    Options

I'm not that kind of jerk, sticking to the limit just because - I'm talking about where I'm with the flow of traffic and some maniac NEEDS to go 20-30% faster than everyone else.
    can
    suck
    it
    and
    wait
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

No, not because I"m the speed police, but because at that point I am stressed enough by the war tactics that I don't feel comfortable making the lane change. And in my case, if I'm even in the left lane, it's because a left turn is imminent. (I am talking about the 80km three-lane roads, hardly ever go on the highway.) Buddy can wait. Or slow down, get into the right lane, and pass me that way (or leave me enough space so I can get in there without wigging out.)

I can't condone making someone perform a technically illegal move to appease your sensitive nature. If you have a left turn coming up (ie.. a rare left lane exit on the freeway), then fine. Other than that, be treated like you want to be treated. If you won't move, then don't complain when someone is going 5mph UNDER the limit in the left lane ahead of you
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options

If I'm going with the flow of traffic, say 10-15 mph over the limit (a guess, I think in km), unless it's an ambulance behind me, that person can suck it and wait.

Actually in the USA the left lane is only for passing in a lot of states, you can get a ticket even if you are doing the speed limit. You would be surprised by how many people who don't know some of those road rules.
  • doronajay
    doronajay Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    slower-traffic-keep-right_zps17c8c9c4.jpg
  • anemoneprose
    Options

Actually in the USA the left lane is only for passing in a lot of states, you can get a ticket even if you are doing the speed limit. You would be surprised by how many people who don't know some of those road rules.

Technically it's the same here, but I live in one of the top 5 congested cities on the continent. The left lane on the highway, effectively, functions like a regular lane. But like I said, I hardly use the highway, & when I do, I am going the same speed as (not slower than) everyone else in that lane. If someone's tailgating me, more often than not it's:
    1) a monster truck driver
    2) a male aged 16-25
    3) some middle-aged, entitled wingnut in a lexus
    4) a taxi driver
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

Technically it's the same here, but I live in one of the top 5 congested cities on the continent. The left lane on the highway, effectively, functions like a regular lane. But like I said, I hardly use the highway, & when I do, I am going the same speed as (not slower than) everyone else in that lane. If someone's tailgating me, more often than not it's:
    2) a male aged 16-25
    4) a taxi driver

so not only are you the speed police but the driver judgment police.
  • anemoneprose
    Options

2) a male aged 16-25
    4) a taxi driver

so not only are you the speed police but the driver judgment police.

no, i am observing regularities in human behaviour