Runners--What's Your Pace?

Options

Replies

• PDiddy0913
    PDiddy0913 Posts: 65
    Options
    My best 5K was 22:30 in mid-May. I completed a half marathon in April at about 8:47/mile. I haven't run in a month or more so I'm scared to even know what I'm clockin' these days! YIKES!!
  • Runhard13
    Runhard13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    comparing times is tricky and fast or slow times can only be relevent to the person running them since everybody is different. Pre surgery i could run an 8-9 min mile easy with 10-12 if running more then 5k...further the distance the slower the pace naturally :)
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Incredibly slow LOL.
    Me too! I am just working my way through a 5k training program though. My last timed mile was 12:53 but I am happy for having run the whole thing. I have a 5k in July, so I don't really have a race pace yet...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    my fastest mile time was 8:40. i had never clocked it before, so i'm sure i could do better.

i did a half marathon recently in 2:12 hrs.

my fastest 5k was just under 27 minutes... but it was after a swim and a bike ride for a warm up.

normally for long runs (6+ miles), i train at about 9:30 min/mile pace. for shorter runs i go as fast as i can, and figure out my pace after.
  • SHHitsKaty
    SHHitsKaty Posts: 301
    Options
    What is your regular training pace per mile? 10 min
    What's your race pace? 8-9 min
    What do you consider a "fast" pace? 7-8 min
    What's your goal pace? 7 min

I seem to run a whole hell of a lot faster during races, which is surprising to me. I ran my fastest mile during the last race I did and I shocked the crap out of myself.
  • VicPuff
    VicPuff Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My best 5k - 26.29 (8:31 minute mile)
    Best 10k 57:25 (9:14 minute mile)

Training pace: usually around 8:50 or so. Although it is VERY humid lately and that has slowed me down.
  • nobleammonite
    nobleammonite Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I run 3-4 miles usually.

What is your regular training pace per mile? with walk intervals, about 11:15; running only, I do 10:45
    What's your race pace? uh, I haven't done a race but I would aim for 10:00 (probably wouldn't manage it)
    What do you consider a "fast" pace? anything under 9:30 feels super fast to me (I can do 1 mile at ~9:00 but it kills me)
    What's your goal pace? 9:00 would be awesome

I've been running for 2 years and I've never had more than 25-30 lbs to lose, so I'm just slow. :D
  • Jolenepiche
    Jolenepiche Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You know it's all about being active ... so even a minute and wanting to pass out is better than sitting at home : )

keep going!

I just read an article in Runner's World and it was explaining how to get from not running to running a 5 km. You might want to track that article down.
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    9:00/mile for my daily (or 3-4 days/week) 6 mile runs
    10:00/mile for longer runs (once per week)

I've run one official half marathon at 2:09:55 (a hair under 10:00/mile) and am early in my training for a full marathon in January which I also hope to complete at a 10:00 or faster pace.

How fast was I when I started up running 3 years ago when I was 70+ pounds heavier and 53 years old? Hell, I could barely make it around the block without dying. If you're a beginner or overweight or have physical issues, please just ignore what other people can do. Concentrate on trying to do the best that YOU can without hurting yourself. And smile when you finish your runs (or run/walks). :smile:
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I run around 10:45/mile whether I am running one or ten (that's the most I have run without walking or stopping). That's training or racing; to me, racing is just organized exercise to support a cause

No set goal as I am mid 50s and doing this to stay in shape and I enjoy it. I won't push to the point where I injure myself or don't enjoy it. I might get down toward 9:00 if I keep it up; I probably could do that now for under 5 miles. I consider "fast" to be under 8:00 on long runs.

Bravo! to you for saying that! I've injured myself twice with minor tendon issues that just kept from running for a few months. Still, I'm in it for health, not glory. So it's far better to avoid an injury than to risk one. And if my knees ever start to go, I'll happily quit running and find something else to keep me active.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    What is your regular training pace per mile?
    I run 10km twice per week at about an 8:30 pace. Have gone as low as 8:18 when pushing it.

What's your race pace?
    Don't know... yet.

What do you consider a "fast" pace?
    Under 7:00/mile.

What's your goal pace?
    8:00/mile for a 10km distance.
  • jrccsi
    jrccsi Posts: 1
    Options
    I run between a 3.5 to 6.5 miles every other day. Previously I was between 10:00-9:00 min pace. After losing 20 pounds my pace is under 8:00. Last few weeks I've been averaging about 7:45. My record is 7:36. It's a good feeling and comes easy once you lose a few pounds. M
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    You guys (and girls) are so impressive. I only run 3 miles every other day, and I'm trying to increase that 10% per week.

What is your regular training pace per mile? I aim for 10 (I mostly run trails, I'm a little faster on roads)
    What's your race pace? 9:30 in my first 5k last weekend.
    What do you consider a "fast" pace? For me, it would be 9 minutes.
    What's your goal pace? Not so concerned about pace at this point. I'm perfectly happy with 9 or 10 minutes. I really want to start building distance!
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Incredibly slow LOL.

What is your regular training pace per mile? 12:30 to 13:30
    What's your race pace? 11 to 13, depending on distance
    What do you consider a "fast" pace? 10:30
    What's your goal pace? 10

^^ This exactly!!!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    What is your regular training pace per mile?
    Easy run pace varies between 8:45 and 10:00+ per mile, depending on how fresh my legs feel on a given day.
    What's your race pace?
    Mile - low 5:30s , maybe a little faster. We'll find out in about 10 days.
    5K - ~ 6:15 m/m
    HM - ~ 6:45 m/m
    Marathon - ~ 7:15 m/m
    What do you consider a "fast" pace?
    Anything under 7:00 m/m
    What's your goal pace?
    Depends on the race. Usually, faster than my PR pace, unless the course or conditions for the day make it unreasonable to expect that.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    What is your regular training pace per mile? 12 min
    What's your race pace? 10:34 min is fastest
    What do you consider a "fast" pace? anything under 9 min
    What's your goal pace? 9 min

Just curious to know the paces out there...
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady. I just got in under 10 minutes in a 1600K (1 mile) race a couple of weeks ago for the first time; I checked the race records and that was a minute faster than 7 years ago. I'm happy!
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I run around 10:45/mile whether I am running one or ten (that's the most I have run without walking or stopping). That's training or racing; to me, racing is just organized exercise to support a cause

No set goal as I am mid 50s and doing this to stay in shape and I enjoy it. I won't push to the point where I injure myself or don't enjoy it. I might get down toward 9:00 if I keep it up; I probably could do that now for under 5 miles. I consider "fast" to be under 8:00 on long runs.

Bravo! to you for saying that! I've injured myself twice with minor tendon issues that just kept from running for a few months. Still, I'm in it for health, not glory. So it's far better to avoid an injury than to risk one. And if my knees ever start to go, I'll happily quit running and find something else to keep me active.
    Thanks! I was reading something just the other day that said for non competitive runners that don't do heavy leg work in the gym, the danger of knee problems is overblown. It was basically saying that long runs are likely to exacerbate problems but usually are not the initial cause. You might get a tiny tear doing squats or leg lifts and then running 5+ miles would make it much worse. So I am pretty much sticking to core and upper body work in the gym. My legs have always stayed in pretty good shape anyway. When I did C25K, my legs were ahead of my cardio condition, which I understand is backwards from most people. EDIT - To clarify that last statement - my understanding is that it is more common to drop from a run to a walk because your legs are tired than because you are out of breath when first starting to train. It was the other way around for me; I was dizzy and gasping for breath and my legs were fine. Now I can almost always make it over 5 miles before I feel like stopping or walking. Thinking about a half in the fall...
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady. I just got in under 10 minutes in a 1600K (1 mile) race a couple of weeks ago for the first time; I checked the race records and that was a minute faster than 7 years ago. I'm happy!

I think you mean 1600 meters. 1600K would be 994 miles. :tongue:
  • badgeratheart
    badgeratheart Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My training pace is typically 8:05 or so.
    Fastest Race Pace in a 5K is 7:27 and in a 10 mile is 7:58 (1:19:36). Hoping for sub 8:00 in my first half marathon on 6/23 (breaking 1:45:00).
    To me, a fast pace is under 7:30.
    Goal pace is under 7:30.