FREE 6-week online course in Nutrition thru UCSF starts 6/24

Options
sajeffe
sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
This is the second offering of this course through coursera.org and University of California, San Francisco. If you have a little time, this is a good course. If you don't want to keep up with the actual class, you should enroll anyway and you can download the lectures to watch later. If you've never heard of coursera.org or edx.com and you love learning, you'll love these sites! Gogogo.

Nutrition for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
with Professor Katie Ferraro

About the course: "This course covers the basics of normal nutrition for optimal health outcomes and evidence-based diets for a variety of diseases. Participants will learn the fundamentals of nutrition science and build upon these to explore emerging diet therapies, to analyze nutrition research and to plan well-balanced meals and dietary interventions for both healthy individuals and those with a number of diseases and health conditions."

Replies

• daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up, think I'll sign up for this.

Despite being a big fan of the online Yale and other itunes U courses I hadn't heard of 'coursera' until last week so I'm looking forward to trying it out :)
  • johnnlinda
    johnnlinda Posts: 69
    Options
    Thank you! I'm always ready to learn more.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,156 Member
    Options
    Thanks, just signed up. Always more fun to learn when there's no pressure to do it.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • sajeffe
    Options
    Cool.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Signed up, thank you.
  • sajeffe
    Options
    You're welcome! Bump.
  • sajeffe
    Options
    Bump.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    About the course: "This course covers the basics of normal nutrition for optimal health outcomes and evidence-based diets for a variety of diseases. Participants will learn the fundamentals of nutrition science and build upon these to explore emerging diet therapies, to analyze nutrition research and to plan well-balanced meals and dietary interventions for both healthy individuals and those with a number of diseases and health conditions."

EVIDENCE BASED? That's fantastic. I saw the thread and was concerned it was going to be some alternative med filled course synopsis. Thanks!
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • xinit0
    Options
    Wow - they really have widened their offerings lately... there's a whole list of health courses, including a Child Nutrition course and many many others.

https://www.coursera.org/courses?cats=health
  • supp79
    supp79 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    thanks for the info!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Most commenters in the Food and Nutrition section of this forum need to take this seminar series. UCSF has been doing a lot of good work for a good long while.

This knowledge would help clean up this forum a touch.
  • IMD918
    IMD918 Posts: 49
    Options
    bump
  • xinit0
    Options
    I've added a couple to my watchlist, and hopefully they'll be offered again, but looking forward to this one.
  • sajeffe
    Options
    Wow - they really have widened their offerings lately... there's a whole list of health courses, including a Child Nutrition course and many many others.

https://www.coursera.org/courses?cats=health

Yeah. For anybody who missed the Child Nutrition course, the professor has a website we're all invited to: http://justcookforkids.com/

I don't have children and I'm middle-aged, but I downloaded all of the lectures from the course anyway because it's still nutrition education. And, I'm sure the course will be offered again soon.
  • kcrxgirl
    kcrxgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I went to that website but it's just a link to sign up for the course. How can I look at some of the course info?
  • ASaxe23
    ASaxe23 Posts: 163
    Options
    just signed up!! how exciting! Anyone know if you can do anything for real with the certificate?
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 519harley
    519harley Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Sajeffe,
    Thanks for this link! I just joined too