Whats up with the unfriendly pple in MFP???

Options
12346»

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    The internet the place where you can be the jackwagon you were in high school but not get punched in the face. Thank God for computer screens. I get the attitudes,snark and think they are something special bc they have lost weight. I always wonder if it was natural or if it is real. I'm a realistic so you get me where I am. Folks try to pit themselves over others is really dumb. I have had to be careful how I write bc some read too much into things are not enough. There are alot of shallow no substance folks here so it's what it is. I'm not unfriendly so you can add me if you so desire!

Your post sounds a whole lot like the posts you're complaining about.

^ This.

Today though, I honestly saw the mean come out. A friend posted a success thread and every clean eater out there came out of the wood work to insult his diet and tell him he was doing it wrong. Words like "gross," "disgusting" and "sick" were thrown around. It was, without a doubt, the worst I've seen on MFP. It was truly despicable behavior and a great example of why I'm disgusted with the clean eaters on MFP. Pushy to help people is one thing. Mean is another.

I saw that too...and I'm a reformed/former clean-eating proponent. Even in the height of my pro-clean eating days though, my comment on his thread would have been "Great job on your progress so far. If you eventually find yourself at a plateau or feel like something is missing from your diet, perhaps consider eating less breaded/deep-fried food and more fresh food." And that would have been if I misinterpreted his post as saying that he eats the foods he featured all the time to the exclusion of other foods (which wasn't accurate).

The comments on that thread were mean...and their intent was not to be helpful in any way. The comments generally called out as being "mean" on MFP would more accurately be labeled as "not what OP wanted to hear."

Someone being pushy to help get a point across is one thing, and I don't have much sympathy for those people that can't take constructive criticism, but I absolutely agree that the posts today were just mean and unhelpful.
  • m0jk
    m0jk Posts: 133
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I have recently started my weight loss journey (5 days) and I signed up with MFP from the beginning. As you might have experienced the first weeks are the worst but I'm still happy to be doing this. I find MFP very helpful and I love reading through "success stories" but its such a turn off to encounter some posts where it says "DO NOT COMMENT ON THIS CHALLENGE UNLESS YOU ARE PART OF THE 100 PEOPLE THAT ARE ALREADY PART OF THE GROUP. " or do not add/msge if you don't know me. Are we back to highschool??? I thought we're here to support each other with our weight loss challenges!!! Anyway, I would love to get some support.

i could have written that myself today.... there was lots of nice people stepped in on my first day because as soon as i made my first post i was met with hostility. I know.. its the way of the internet. Thinking of just keeping myself to myself instead and just reading the info and looking for info i need instead of posting :)
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I have recently started my weight loss journey (5 days) and I signed up with MFP from the beginning. As you might have experienced the first weeks are the worst but I'm still happy to be doing this. I find MFP very helpful and I love reading through "success stories" but its such a turn off to encounter some posts where it says "DO NOT COMMENT ON THIS CHALLENGE UNLESS YOU ARE PART OF THE 100 PEOPLE THAT ARE ALREADY PART OF THE GROUP. " or do not add/msge if you don't know me. Are we back to highschool??? I thought we're here to support each other with our weight loss challenges!!! Anyway, I would love to get some support.

i could have written that myself today.... there was lots of nice people stepped in on my first day because as soon as i made my first post i was met with hostility. I know.. its the way of the internet. Thinking of just keeping myself to myself instead and just reading the info and looking for info i need instead of posting :)
    She was met with hostility and looking back now a few days after....I honestly think that person was trolling. She was the only one on that thread who couldn't or just didn't want to understand your post :laugh: As to the other posts, I can pretty much tell if someone is being "mean" or trying to be helpful in a non candy coated kind of way.
  • Goddessmaker1
    Goddessmaker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    The internet the place where you can be the jackwagon you were in high school but not get punched in the face. Thank God for computer screens. I get the attitudes,snark and think they are something special bc they have lost weight. I always wonder if it was natural or if it is real. I'm a realistic so you get me where I am. Folks try to pit themselves over others is really dumb. I have had to be careful how I write bc some read too much into things are not enough. There are alot of shallow no substance folks here so it's what it is. I'm not unfriendly so you can add me if you so desire!

Your post sounds a whole lot like the posts you're complaining about.

Normally I don't respond to comments like yours, however, I will make an exception. No my post doesn't sound like anything other than the truth. There are alot of folks who have no substance here and are very belittling. If you actually read the post on this site you will see alot of under handed shade. People are trying to do the best things they can in the best way they can. Not everyone has a easy experience with weight loss. It's not so cookie cutter. There are some very vile people here. So I stand behind what I stated. People don't like to be called out on being rude but it is what it is.
  • miselly
    miselly Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    :smile: thanks Pearsquared, I didn't know about that button
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    DAMNIT...one day i want to put up a post that gets this much traction.