Alternative religions. Anyone follow one?

Options

Replies

• SabrinaLC
    SabrinaLC Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hang on, is atheism alternative?

It's not an alternative religion since it's not a religion at all.
    I look at it as an alternative TO religion.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Hang on, is atheism alternative?

That is actually a very good question. But are we talkign "alternative" in terms of "instead of"? Because in that case... aren't all religions alternative?

Are we talking about "alternative" as in "not mainstream"? In most western countries Atheism is fairly mainstream so I would say its about as popular as any religion really. I know in many Asian countries though its considered unthinkable. I described Atheism to some folks here in Saudi Arabia and they just couldn't really understand the concept lol.

I personally describe Atheism as a way of life and a good way of life. I like them because they don't do good things to goto heaven or avoid doing bad things to avoid hell but rather do good things just for the good and avoid bad things to avoid being a douche. That is humanity at its finest folks.
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    If atheism is a way of life with organized points of view on life, then it may qualify as being a religion. The difference perhaps is faith in a being that is beyond being human such as a superman. However, is atheism organized, or is it like religious faiths that have varied points of view ?
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    ...Alternative? Depending on who you talk to from various parts of the world. the majority religion can be a few different things. Not to mention, if you grow up in a close-knit religious community, no matter what the area's majority religion is, everything else is "alternative." So asking for the alternative is begging for some drama. ;)

FWIW, I grew up in the Presbyterian denomination of Christianity, but grew discontent when I started asking questions and was shut down by a couple of pastors. Even after changing churches, I realized I couldn't be a part of a community that thought questioning things and studying other religions meant lack of faith (spoiler: it doesn't). It was rather disappointing; the church environment I grew up is pushed the importance of education and lack of ignorance. But when you're told "you don't need to read about it yourself, just ask Pastor ___ to explain it to you," you start getting a little eye-rolly. At the time I equated this to all of Christianity, so I started searching for something else. Ironically, I had gone to an Episcopalian church with my HS boyfriend and really felt at home there, but that had been a while ago and I wasn't feeling like Christianity at that point.

I pondered Bhuddism, Hinduism and kind of accidentally fell into this Wiccan/ Druid/ Norse ideology and eventually found a group in the area I lived at the time. I didn't last very long. The people there really believed, but kind of were winging it. There was no structure. Which is fine. But, I needed structure, coming from where I came from. This is what I still identity with the most.

I started reading about Baha'i, which interests me greatly. But I've also recently felt drawn back into going to Church. Specifically, the Episcopalian church. But, I'm trying to figure out if it's the religion I'm craving or the structure of it and the community of like-minded folks. As I have Yggdrasil proudly tattooed on my arm, I don't know how like-minded I am with Christians. ;)

Everything is alternative for me. :)
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I lost all faith in Microsoft earlier this week, so from now on I will be praying to Kratos....

314pjj6.jpg
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Atheist here :drinker: an alternative to religion I suppose...
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I can't believe no one has yet pointed out that this thread is in violation of forum rules and will be shut down.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Buddhist, don't believe in a God.
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I personally describe Atheism as a way of life and a good way of life. I like them because they don't do good things to goto heaven or avoid doing bad things to avoid hell but rather do good things just for the good and avoid bad things to avoid being a douche. That is humanity at its finest folks.

You just made my morning with this. Much love to you!
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm Pagan, follow my own path but if you had to put a name to it I guess traditional solitary witch would probably come the closest.

I don't really see it as alternative though, I guess there are probably less people around now who follow this kind of path, but that wasn't always the case. Just how it is now.

a woman after my own heart-you must friend me!!!!!

Me too!!! :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou:
  • UnwrappingCandy
    UnwrappingCandy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Alternative to religion here - agnostic atheist. I don't believe in gods or godlike entities, but I realise that I cannot be 100% certain that such a thing doesn't exist somewhere in this huge universe. Also, my disbelief is the only thing that makes me an atheist. There are no rules to follow or silly litmus tests as atheism is NOT a religion. :-)
  • Ashleyxjamie
    Ashleyxjamie Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Personally I do not believe or agree with commercialized religion. However, I do not think any less of people who do as long as they don't judge me or preach to me.

I follow Buddhism and I am an atheist .. I am not converted as buddhist or anything, but I would like to be someday.. I like the concept of it. I like how it isn't technically a religion - it is more of a "respect" and way of living. That's how I see it anyways.
  • AlistairBernardNormal
    AlistairBernardNormal Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    “I believe in a force that knows to airbrush the eyes of a predator bird onto the wings of a butterfly. I believe in a force that knows to spin an atom at the exact same frequency as the galaxy.” – Harland Williams

PS – ALOUETTE! CHELSEA ALOUETTE!
  • Ashleyxjamie
    Ashleyxjamie Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Atheist since birth <3

Not a "hipster atheist" either. I've honestly never even heard of that.

Do you start randomly screaming at anyone holding a bible or any other religion book?

Do you start attacking people who are minding their own business and only flaw is they belong to a religion?

Do you try to derail any argument and say stupid things like "all I know is that religion has caused many wars" or "religion is the mass murderer" etc (even though its not even close to being the truth)?

Do you constantly belittle other peoples intelligence by saying "oh yeah you beleive in your imaginary superman, I believe in science!" when the superman believing guy is actually doing his doctorate and you're still in first year of college?

If any of those answers in yes, then you're a hipster Atheist who's just trying to get on the bandwagon. If you're being respectful to others, then kudos, you're awesome and I love you.

I don't randomly scream at anyone. My family is all religious and I leave them to it. If it helps them feel better then go for it. To answer that second question, as long as I'm being left alone I leave others alone. I do personally think religion has a lot to do with some (NOT ALL) wars. And even though it helps people can cause a lot of harm. Again, I don't personally attack people for their beliefs. Religion is a VERY personal choice, just as my atheism is my personal choice. Honestly, if I've been atheist since birth I don't even know how someone could say I'm trying to get on the bandwagon. I respect others as (to their face) long as they respect me. I will admit to being rather rude and judgmental at times but it's not just religion based, it's everything.

I agree with the war comment.. ^5
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I consider myself agnostic. Whatever happens or happened is how things are supposed to be so I just try to live a happy, honest life full of positivity.
  • thejucheidea
    Options
    I'm Mahayana Buddhist, and the Bodhisattva I appreciate the most and try to emulate is Guanyin.

My fiance is Zen Buddhist, and he follows Athena, haha.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I do. As cheesy as it sounds, I believe in something not all that different in principle that a Jedi. I'll explain.

Once I was old enough to make up my own mind, I felt a connection to the world and eventually became a Pagan in my late teens. Of course I kept this on the low because my family is HARDCORE Baptist. I got into Wicca and followed that path for many years. Some of the pieces of the Wiccan puzzle began to shift as I learned more about HOW things work and WHY things exist and I've sort of formed my own faith based on science but also the belief that we as humans are capable of far more than we believe ourselves. If there is a name for this religion I'm unaware of it and would be interested to know.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    In before the thread gets locked due to the eventual arguing that will occur between all the different religious groups out there.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    In before the thread gets locked due to the eventual arguing that will occur between all the different religious groups out there.

So sad that we can't all just be adults about it and agree to disagree.