Alternative religions. Anyone follow one?

Options

Replies

• Horsezee
    Horsezee Posts: 22
    Options
    I don't subscribe to any religion, but I really like the Satanic philosophy. (LaVeyan, NOT Theistic.) Meaning I don't worship any actual being, or believe that there is one.
    I'm open-minded to all people and their beliefs just as long as they don't try to force them on me.
  • westhamrangers
    Options
    No one is arguing. Which is great. I was hoping this would be a good thread and that it is!
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    No one is arguing. Which is great. I was hoping this would be a good thread and that it is!

I'm fairly impressed myself.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    If atheism is a way of life with organized points of view on life, then it may qualify as being a religion. The difference perhaps is faith in a being that is beyond being human such as a superman. However, is atheism organized, or is it like religious faiths that have varied points of view ?

I do not believe that atheism is an organized anti-belief system. But, just because I don't believe it is not organized, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist as one.

Did you see how I turned that around?
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    In before the thread gets locked due to the eventual arguing that will occur between all the different religious groups out there.

So sad that we can't all just be adults about it and agree to disagree.

Religion is like politics -- too many people unwilling to open their minds and respectfully accept others' beliefs/points of view. That's one of the reasons why I want to track this thread -- to see if it deteriorates into that kind of behavior before the mods lock it with the whole "No religious debates" rule.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    If atheism is a way of life with organized points of view on life, then it may qualify as being a religion. The difference perhaps is faith in a being that is beyond being human such as a superman. However, is atheism organized, or is it like religious faiths that have varied points of view ?

I do not believe that atheism is an organized anti-belief system. But, just because I don't believe it is not organized, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist as one.

I don't think it HAS to be an organized system but it certainly is for many. You can not believe and not have any other aspects to your non-belief but many Atheists that I know do not believe in a God but they do have an organized, commonly accepted structure to what they DO believe.
  • harley1968
    harley1968 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I consider myself agnostic. Whatever happens or happened is how things are supposed to be so I just try to live a happy, honest life full of positivity.

I would go with this,
  • HopeDaleen930
    Options
    I was raised christian but as soon as I was old enough to question some of it's teachings I found my self wandering... Until some one turned me on to the Pagan/Wicca teachings. This made more sense to me that all things are inter connected then anything I had ever heard before. So, I'd say I'm a solitary practitioner.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options

I don't think it HAS to be an organized system but it certainly is for many. You can not believe and not have any other aspects to your non-belief but many Atheists that I know do not believe in a God but they do have an organized, commonly accepted structure to what they DO believe.

Just like the three main, organized religions out there (Judaism, Islamic and Christian), I believe Atheism has it's own set of guidelines/principles and tenets. I'm not an atheist, but I sense the atheistic tenets are more scientifically based than faith based.

I could be entirely wrong here, and would love to hear from "organized atheists" on here if that holds true. But, just as I believe there is a speed of dark to counterbalance the existence of a speed of light, I feel there is an atheistic set of principles to counterbalance theistic principles.
  • WanderingLass
    WanderingLass Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I was raised LCMS Christian - which I've been told is 2 steps away from Catholicism. Like others have said, I dislike not being able to question/research/think for myself (among other issues I have)...

So now I am wandering, learning, and making up my own mind. Very spiritual - just not very structured. :smile:

What a great thread this is turning out to be! :drinker:
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I don't follow any religion. I am however very spiritual. I believe there's a lot more to it that you live and you die. I believe a lot of things, but since I know discussions about religion rarely end well, I'll just sit here and lay low :wink:.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I'm an aethiest & always have been. There are no organizations to being an aethiest. Many aethiests do have other beliefs, but really it's just about not believing in a higher being. I consider myself a secular humanist--not really an alternative religion. When I go to church, I go to a Unitarian Universalist church since they are accepting of everyone. I want my children to learn about all religions so they can make their own choices.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I looked into a lot of alt.religions. I considered myself agnostic for a wile because I realized its just to big to know. I haven't seen anyone represent the agnostics.
    There are a lot of funky new agey stuff and retro back to pagans and druidism. In the end I dated a girl that took me to a 7th day Adventist church. It was right after that that I fully embraced my upbringing in the Roman Catholic church. I t was what I was most comfortable with. I think really in the end religions should be about your own personal comfort, and big hats.

I'd also like to point out that this is an awesome thread and very well thought out and great discussions, like one of the best on here in a wile. I'm reporting each and every comment because it violates the TOS of this forum and will most likely be removed.
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    to each his own beliefs but when you die you will find out if what you believe is the truth or not. I know what I believe in. Again to each his own.
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    how about atheism. And not being a ****.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    I looked into a lot of alt.religions. I considered myself agnostic for a wile because I realized its just to big to know. I haven't seen anyone represent the agnostics.
    There are a lot of funky new agey stuff and retro back to pagans and druidism. In the end I dated a girl that took me to a 7th day Adventist church. It was right after that that I fully embraced my upbringing in the Roman Catholic church. I t was what I was most comfortable with. I think really in the end religions should be about your own personal comfort, and big hats.

I'd also like to point out that this is an awesome thread and very well thought out and great discussions, like one of the best on here in a wile. I'm reporting each and every comment because it violates the TOS of this forum and will most likely be removed.

+1 for big hats
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I believe in the king of the potato people.

the spud, the sprout and the holy starch.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    I believe in the king of the potato people.

the spud, the sprout and the holy starch.

(Coffee rapidly exiting from nose)
  • AnguishLanguish
    AnguishLanguish Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am a humanist with eclectic pagan tendencies with a tad of agnosticism thrown in. In reality I believe religion (both organized and not) is both beauty and pain, heck, I spent 3 years studying it at uni. I ultimately believe that in the absence of proof (the bible is not proof) it is folly to believe or not believe, rather I should be good for the sake of being good. When I look at religion/spirituality I tend to feel a connection to paganism above other faiths. It just makes more sense to me. At the end of the day I feel that we should love each other; there is beauty in all faiths, we should take the time to find it.
  • jayh064
    jayh064 Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm a Christian, and I've been one all my life - but I will admit that there are elements of both Buddhism and some of the "New Thought" groups like the Unity Church* that appeal to me.

When I'm feeling ornery, I make plans to write my own holy book, or start a schism sect split off from Discordians for Jesus. :-)

*I'm unsure of the etiquette on the MFP boards regarding linking to external sites, so I'll just encourage you to hit up Google for more info on the Unity Church and Discordianism. Which, by the way, are not related to each other, except by proximity in this message. :-)