Alternative religions. Anyone follow one?

Options

Replies

• LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Agnosticism "follower" here. If you can really call that a religion. I entertain all of the ideas. I love thinking about it and hope that when I die, I get to float through the universe and see all of the answers. That would be amazing. :)
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    After decades as Christian and a Christian that has read the bible cover to cover more than once I am an atheist.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to bring back Bacchus. The original new god.

LOL
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Celtic Paleo-Pagan ... Similar to Celtic Reconstruction. Striving to follow the ideas and a values of my ancient Scottish ancestors.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Secular Humanist. Be a good person and help others because that is the right thing to do. "You don’t need religion to have morals. If you can’t determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion." I don't care what anyone else believes or doesn't believe as long as they don't try to cram that belief or lack thereof down my throat (or anyone else's) or use it as an excuse to harm others in any way or as an excuse to be an *kitten*.
    My older brother recently married and adopted his new wife's religion (some version of Christianity where they don't celebrate holidays and eat a kosher diet). He's been using this religion to denigrate my parents' religion (Catholicism) and tell them that they are celebrating pagan holidays (and what's wrong with that?) and they're wrong and he's right. Not cool.
    I was watching a documentary on a religious summer camp for kids. The adults were telling kids that it's OK to trash the earth because when we ruin this one, God will just give us a new one. Not cool. And it doesn't even make sense. If you spend time making a special gift and you give it to a child and then watch the child ruin it (while telling their friends "it's ok, they'll just give me a new one."), you won't be likely to put the time and effort into making a new gift.
    If someone does something good, I don't care what their reason is.
  • PeanutButterLuver
    Options
    Atheist
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I go between being earthly religious and thinking that we are all just an alien experiment...like a bunch of lab rats. Maybe they watch us from their base inside the moon. Or has anyone ever looked into the brain in a vat theory...scary ****.

Um, I have thought this many,many times and was so P*ISSED when that stupid Ancient Aliens show came out. That was MY theory damnit!:mad:

LOL, me too .....

And the answer is .... 42!
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I've been Pastafarian for some time.
    All hail his Noodly Appendage.
    -Ramen
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Thought this may be a good thread and by alternative I mean anything outside mainstream religion. Obviously without prejudice. so let's see what people follow.

Mainstream religion where ? US, Europe, Asia, India, Africa ?
  • MackLuster77
    MackLuster77 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I believe in a higher spiritual power. I do reiki (Asian form of energy healing), and I meditate quite often. I have recently started rediscovering my meti roots (I'm a bi-product of residential schools) and I was raised Catholic. I am slowly learning how to send and receive love and light, see auras and sense spirits. Sounds flaky I know, and trust me it's a hell of a trip.

It sounds flaky because it's all been thoroughly debunked. But if it's not hurting anyone...
  • cwilliams080676
    cwilliams080676 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I follow my roots Christianity but in my heart I'm a Buddhist.
  • LeeshLove
    LeeshLove Posts: 197
    Options
    I don't consider myself religious, more so spiritual! I think this quote by: Dalai Lama says it best! This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.
    I like to think of myself as very open-minded, I don't discount anything, I may not believe it, but anything is possible.
  • LordMarius
    LordMarius Posts: 28
    Options
    I'll play...born Catholic, 18 year Solitary Wiccan, 4 year initiated Alexandrian Witch and High Priest.
  • emtbabe543
    emtbabe543 Posts: 162
    Options

It sounds flaky because it's all been thoroughly debunked. But if it's not hurting anyone...

Not true-my mom is a reikki master and has healed me many times...its been proven by actual medical doctors-why else would insurance start covering it?
  • emtbabe543
    emtbabe543 Posts: 162
    Options
    I'll play...born Catholic, 18 year Solitary Wiccan, 4 year initiated Alexandrian Witch and High Priest.

love it!:heart:
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    I go between being earthly religious and thinking that we are all just an alien experiment...like a bunch of lab rats. Maybe they watch us from their base inside the moon. Or has anyone ever looked into the brain in a vat theory...scary ****.

Um, I have thought this many,many times and was so P*ISSED when that stupid Ancient Aliens show came out. That was MY theory damnit!:mad:

LOL, me too .....

And the answer is .... 42!

Uhm .....okay ....what is your point here ???????????
  • LordMarius
    LordMarius Posts: 28
    Options

love it!:heart:

Thanks and Blessed Be :smile:
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Tree-hugger :glasses:

Same here!
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Evangelistic Christian during childhood(not by choice). Converted to Baptist during teens. Got away from organized religion in my 20's. Temporarily joined the Lutheran in my 30's when my kids were young. Started branching out in my 40's to a more eclectic view of the world and beyond.

I wouldn't call myself a 'pagan' per se', but I do lean towards that path now. I like Buddha's teachings, as well as Taoist. I relate to wiccan's beliefs and feel everything and everyone is spiritually connected. The older I get, the more open I am to different idea's and possibilities of what's beyond our limited vision. It's nice to see the diversity of this thread flow without turning into a pissing match.:smile:
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I worship the sun.