Question for the ladies!

Options
First of all I just want to thank everyone for being so welcoming to me! It really warms my heart :) I have a question for the ladies (guys you might want to leave if you're in here hehehe). Is it okay to exercise during that time of the month? I don't want to cause myself an injury or anything. I know for sure that I shouldn't be exercising on my heavy flow days, but what about when the flow is light? If so, what type of protection do you use? I would assume a pad would be my best bet. Please hellllp! LOL Oh and feel free to add me as a new friend. I will be supportive and encouraging to anyone who needs it!

Replies

• krrs1980
    krrs1980 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I always do, even though most times I don't want to :) It actually helps relieve some of my cramps. Not sure if that's the case with every woman. I don't have problems with a heavy flow though, so I'm not much help there.
  • LePetitCochon
    Options
    :indifferent:
  • Slickchick050
    Slickchick050 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do as well, helps relieve any pain :)
  • snowboardandasuitcase
    snowboardandasuitcase Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I abandoned pads in highschool and never looked back! I personally don't experience any problems (aside from motivation!) when exercising during my period. I'd recommend tampons... I think you could experience a lack of coverage, bunching, and just plain old discomfort with pads, no?

:)

Edit: yes, it does help lessen cramps in my experience also!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Is it 1950 again???
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I exercise right through it, no problem. As others have said, seems to help ease any discomfort.
  • BeLikeBarbi
    Options
    Good point Snowboardandasuitcase!
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I do exercise during TOM. I do not use pads. I use tampons regardless of if I'm working out. Use whichever is most comfortable for you. I don't get cramps and etc, so it's just like any other day in the gym for me. If I do happen to feel uncomfortable, I can always exercise at home. Exercising during TOM is not harmful to you. Go for it!
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    You can still exercise on heavy flow days. I exercise through all 6 days of my time of month. In fact it eases the cramps a lot.
  • snowboardandasuitcase
    snowboardandasuitcase Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Is it 1950 again???

In my opinion, this isn't helpful.. Someone is asking for help, and if you are unable to give it, you could think about just moving on.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I dont have a uterus anymore

It fell out when I started lifting.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    get pregnant, then you won't have to worry about that for 9 months of hard core training.

pregnant-weightlifting-girls_32-500x332.jpg
  • daubna08
    daubna08 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I work out during my period too! It usually makes me feel better. I actually always use tampons because I hate the feel of pads...but if you are comfortable on a treadmill with a pad, then by all means! But I would definitely recommend it and there is no way that working out during your time of the month would cause any injury :) I used to not work out on my period just because it seemed like too much of a hassle and I was being lazy but now that I'm trying to stay really motivated, I don't let it get in the way anymore. Also, since we usually gain a little weight during this time, some exercise can only help us! Lol
  • vbernier1
    vbernier1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to not exercise any day during your period. it will cause no harm, but will lessen cramps and possibly alleviate bloating in many instances, just as the other ladies have said. i would not use a pad (unless you are one to need a pad in conjunction with a tampon on heavy flow days) as it will not give proper protection with bunching, etc.

we are not in the 1950's. we should know this by now.... Now, if you CHOOSE to not exercise at that time, that is within your right.
  • dupaboo
    dupaboo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Having your period shouldn't deter you from doing anything in life...exercise included. I don't get all symptomatic (PMS, bloating, cravings, cramps) like a lot of women do, but if it does happen, working out actually alleivates some of the discomfort. As for what to use - tampons. I can't imagine using a pad for anything. Hate them.
  • BeLikeBarbi
    Options
    get pregnant, then you won't have to worry about that for 9 months of hard core training.

pregnant-weightlifting-girls_32-500x332.jpg

LOL that's one solution!
  • mooleur
    mooleur Posts: 1
    Options
    Deffo helps to relieve pains & helps you sleep like a baby! Though I find my performance on the bike isn't always quite up to scratch if it's at the start when it's heavier, can feel sluggish but always feel better for it afterwards :)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I generally use a condom for protection.
  • BeLikeBarbi
    Options

That's not what I'm talking about! Get your mind out of the gutter. :tongue:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

That's not what I'm talking about! Get your mind out of the gutter. :tongue:

NEVER! :bigsmile: