Coconut Oil?

After researching up on this "wonder oil" I decided to try it. So, I grabbed a spoon and took a "bite"... omg! its awful! So how do I overcome this?! suggestions?

Replies

• simplyciera
    simplyciera Posts: 168 Member
    Oh I love extra virgin coconut oil. I use it as a substitute for butter or oil when frying eggs, pan searing chicken or anything that only needs a small amount of lubrication to prevent sticking (using too much will cause your food to taste like coconut, but using it is good because it doesn't process as a fat like oil and butter do). If you're just ingesting it, realize that its what models do to have glowing hair & skin so you're defffff on the right track! Another great way to get some of the same affect is to use it topically. I use it as a night moisturizer for my face, elbows and knees and wake up with the softest skin. You can also use it on your hair as a moisturizer. I don't, but my sister mixes it with a little bit of water and leaves it on her hair and swears by it. Coconut oil also reduces the look of stretch marks (it works on me!). Another oil for soft skin is virgin jojoba oil. A little bit goes a long way and it makes skin softer than the coconut oil. It just depends on what you want the oil to do!
  • ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    You took a bite of it? I just use it with cooking, I use it instead of Pam when I'm frying things mostly. Normally when I'm cooking with it I can hardly, if at all, taste it in the finished product. I also use it on my hair and on my skin.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,871 Member
    It's just a fat source. While I also love butter and duck fat I don't think I would eat it by the spoonful.:smile:

Also it's just virgin coconut oil and not extra virgin. Your probably thinking olive oil.
  • danapenguin
    danapenguin Posts: 161
    yea i read if you eat it.. at least 2 tbsp that it will boost your metabolism. I tried it in hot Tea as well but it was really awful lol. I am going to use it mainly for my hair. I am trying to grow it out and coconut oil can help fix damaged hair and help it grow faster. I was wondering if anyone ever ate it though and how. I will try cooking it with eggs for sure! Thanks!
  • danapenguin
    It's just a fat source. While I also love butter and duck fat I don't think I would eat it by the spoonful.:smile:

Also it's just virgin coconut oil and not extra virgin. Your probably thinking olive oil.

I have the organic unrefined virgin coconut oil =)
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    I could eat virgin coconut oil by the spoonful............It is heavenly.

Did you buy refined coconut oil by chance???
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Use it for your hair.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    I have several jars...........1 in each bathroom, gallon in the kitchen.

We use it for everything........cooking, baking, hair conditioner, face cleanser, shaving, cleansing and moisturizing the face, make toothpaste, deodorant, etc.
  • danapenguin
    Use it for your hair.

thats my orginal reason =)
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    It depends on the kind you have.
    I bought some at Whole Foods, EFA Gold. It's the only kind I buy and yeah, I could eat it by the tablespoon. It's great for a variety of things (some fun too...LOL). I don't care for what you buy at the regular grocer. Get the EFA Gold for sure.
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    I use it for cooking. If you don't use too much you can't taste it in the food...and a little goes a long way. Today I cooked some ground beef with it, for example. I also put some on my lips before I go to bed. I love the stuff. I want to try it on my hair, but I'm a little afraid, haha.
  • abikinibyjuly
    abikinibyjuly Posts: 330 Member
    Trader Joe's now sells it in a spray can for cooking. I've been using it and it doesn't make my eggs taste like coconut.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    After researching up on this "wonder oil" I decided to try it. So, I grabbed a spoon and took a "bite"... omg! its awful! So how do I overcome this?! suggestions?

are you kidding me? *smh*
  • totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    i use extra virgin coconut oil on my skin every morning. to fight the shrinking, dropping, stretch marks on the skin as i lose weight.
  • hilaryhill
    hilaryhill Posts: 156 Member
    I love coconut oil! I go through a jar a week. I use it on my daughters eczema when it starts to flair. It makes scrambled eggs taste amazing. I use it as my main cooking and baking oil.
  • I suppose if you don't like coconut, it'd be awful. For me, eating it in a semi-solidified state puts me in the mind of the savory aspect of eating fudge, and I love fudge. Considering the fact that your body needs fat to assist mental functions and hormone production, you might want to develop a liking for it. There are a few brands that are light on the processing and happen to have a stronger coconut flavor. From what I understand, just as a person previously stated, Trader Joe's sells a coconut cooking spray.

I personally purchased an 8 pound container of coconut oil from an online retailer and saved a bundle of money buying in bulk. Coconut oil has a shelf life of up to two years so I'm terribly concerned about it going rancid in the mean time. As other people stated, it's fabulous for skin, hair, etc.

I've lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time. This isn't necessarily the healthiest way of going about things, and although I'm eating enough calories to maintain my health, I started losing a lot of hair. I did a decent amount of reading and realized what I was lacking: fat. You have to eat fat. Have to. So, if you don't like the coconut, stick with olive oil ;)
  • I blend it into my coffee!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    It's an amazing skin emolliative/deep conditioner for hair.

Why would you take a bite of oil? The gross factor is kind of obvious there...
  • 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Love the stuff! Swallowing it when it's solid is kinda gross though (tried to word that as best as I could as to not get a nasty guy commenting) I have tried it in teas and it was kinda good that way, I sauté my veggies in it too like cauliflower, green beans, broccoli and carrots. The taste so yummy. I use it for cooking almost anything and don't notice a flavor from it. I also do oil treatments, use it as lotion, put it on babies for diaper rash, use it to remove my makeup and my favorite one is oil pulling. I heard it can help with acne too.

For the coconut oil lovers
    Check out oil pulling if u don't already know about it.
  • Shaving? Really? I gotta give that a try. Thanks