Lost 20 pounds and wearing the same size?! Help!

Options

Replies

• Tammi140
    Tammi140 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    OMG!! You lost 56 lbs in 3.5 months! WOW!
  • bimajackie
    Options
    Thank you to Jennyisbusy! I am 75 years old, 5'5 and i am losing weight just like she described, boobs, arms, still waiting for the tummy, bottom half...20 lbs no change in dress size, I now weigh 130 lbs, cant understand some of the writers who weigh almost 200 and take size 12? I do feel very well, though.
  • b1delane
    b1delane Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thank you for speaking about what I was silently dwelling on! I have had the same issue lately! I started off at 5'6 198lbs and I fit into a size 16. If I have to be honest it was a VERY tight 16 but I thought there is no possible way I was going to buy a size bigger! Now I am 171lbs and I fit a size 14 loosely. I am not quite a size 12 so I either wear sweats or leggings just like you it feels more comfortable. Even though I have lost about 30 lbs I seem to be stuck in this in between size and I have to say it is very irritating. Anyways enough of my rambling I just wanted to say you are def. not alone in your thoughts and worries!
  • CatholicUK
    CatholicUK Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am so glad that someone posted a thread on this!!!

A few years back when I was losing weight with WW I lost two and a half stone so thats....*thinks*.... 35lb and I dropped from a UK 16 to a UK 14. I was THE most frustrating thing in the world and very demotivating... :(

But now I'm losing weight this time round I'm aware of it and I would rather see my body shape change, i.e. firmer belly, more shapely thighs... than be worrying about my dress size too much. I obviously want to drop one or two, but I know that I'm NEVER going to be a skinny mini due to my body shape and bone structure.

Marie xx
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    Have you measured yourself? Maybe you lost muscle. Have you tried strength training? It helps you lose inches. You will get the opposite effect. The scale will not move that much but your clothes will fit you looser.
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    From what I heard sometimes dieting can make you lose more muscle then fat. When this happens you look almost the same but the scale says you weight less. When you gain muscle you and lose fat you can tell in your clothes.

Sometimes when I stop strength training and stop dieting I weight the same for months but my clothes fit me tight and I look heavier. What is happening is my muscle is shrinking and the fat is covering the muscle. So I gained fat and lost muscle.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    It just means you haven't lost weight where you want to in the jeans. Give it time and the weight will decide to come off there! I lost mine in waves... hands, feet and face, then arms and calves, then belly, then finally hips and butt area. Then, it stopped there and restarted the whole process. :/
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    And I refuse to wear them because I feel like I can't wear the size they are (14).. So I literally wear leggings, yoga pants, sweats from victorias secret, things like that EVERYDAY.
    Aren't those things the same size as well?

All those mentioned are usually categorized Small, Medium, Large and have a fair amount of Spandex or Lycra - where as jeans and trousers are sized by inches or size numbers.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    We pear shapes always lose in our lower halves LAST, unfortunately. Your body is going to burn fat where it was last deposited.
    Eventually, it WILL burn the fat in your problem areas, so DON'T GIVE UP! And definitely measure yourself! I've been stuck at a weight plateau for 6 months, but the inches are coming off, which means I'm just turning fat into muscle. I bet that's what is happening to you, too! Good luck.

This ^^

It's genetics, for most women the most stubborn areas of fat will be under arms and bum/thighs. For men it tends to be stomach/lower abs.

It will reduce eventually with further weight loss, but will be the most difficult to get rid of completely.
  • hhichristina
    hhichristina Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Check out the tall women group (they have some good discussions about how sizes are different for us tall women). I think part of the issue is that since you are so tall, you can loose more than someone that is 5'5" and still be the same size whereas since they don't have as tall of a frame they will more than likely be able to size down faster.

I'm 5'10" and weigh 186, just yesterday I was able to buy some size 12 pants and shorts. I had to loose about 40lbs for my size 14s to be too big.
  • MrsLong1980
    MrsLong1980 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Might I suggest that prior to losing the 20 pounds your jeans didn't fit you properly or comfortably and now you're wearing them comfortably? So that effectively you have dropped a size in the sense that you're now wearing a comfortable size as opposed to squeezing yourself into something too small?
  • jaclynlena
    Options
    I've worn the same size pants no matter if i was 195 lbs or 150 lbs. My hips just never seemed to change.
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Sorry if someone already said this, I didn't read through all the responses. When I lost weight it took until I lost about 20-30lbs to see a drop in pants size. A lot of this had to do with the fact that I probably should have been wearing a size higher even, but instead of facing the facts, I stretched out my 18's instead. So not only did I have to fit back into an 18 for real, but then continue to drop down to a 16. That could be your problem. Also I think the upper sizes tend to take a bit longer to drop than the smaller ones. If you look at the size chart the smaller sizes are only an inch or two difference, but the larger sizes can be two to three inches difference. I'm sure you'll see a change soon enough.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I am super confused. You say they are fitting better but you won't wear them. That doesn't make any sense. It doesn't matter what size you are as long as you feel comfortable in your clothes. Not to mention the fact that sizes are ridiculously different from manufacturer to manufacturer. For example, I am 5'2" and weigh 138 pounds. I have clothes that range from a size 4-8 that fit the same way. I even just bought a cute pair of white skinnies that are a Juniors size 11. Who reads your tags? YOU. Don't stress about the number on the tag. Go for fit.
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds and only went down three pants sizes... I suppose it depends on how/where your body stores your fat.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    This is a 2012 thread, guys.
    Op is probably long gone, or has forgotten it.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    And I refuse to wear them because I feel like I can't wear the size they are (14).. So I literally wear leggings, yoga pants, sweats from victorias secret, things like that EVERYDAY.
    I also find that these things make women look MASSIVE... and are less flattering than jeans.

I haven't changed jeans size in a while either. In fact, in 25lbs, I've only gone down ONE inch in the jeans size. But they fit better, they don't rub the wrong way... and my muffin top is smaller.

It's different for everyone. Track and keep accountable for what you put in your mouth. Sure, everything in moderation, but if you want to lose the weight, you have to work for it.
  • britneyy32
    britneyy32 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem.. I've lost around 20 lbs or so and most of my pants and shorts just fit better (which could have been because I might have needed to wear a bigger size originally), but I have some pairs of pants/shorts that I fit into now that I wasn't able to fit into before. I don't think my pant size is going down much because my thighs are so huge and disproportionate to the rest of me! They will barely slim down at all! My body just clings to my thigh fat for dear life ):
  • Atomic12wbt
    Atomic12wbt Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Not exactly. My sweats and yoga pants are all mediums with a couple larges and I guess that makes me feel a little better, but not much. I guess it's the jean sizing and fit that makes me feel uncomfortable. It may sound silly to someone else but it makes sense in my own silly head lol.
  • Emeryeon
    Emeryeon Posts: 61
    Options
    maybe ur losing weight in different areas so maybe u should do exercises in that area idk