WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2013

Options

Replies

• Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Re: the Black Forest fire. We have good news and bad. Dave may have NOT lost his house, they say most of the homes in his area are gone, but they are saying his was saved. He is a widower and this is the family homestead, so I am praying that it stays safe. The winds are going in a different direction now so hopefully it will stay that way. Doug and Jennifer are still safe, but Jennifer's cousin lost her home. They went and helped them move some goats and animals to safety and helped them get some things out, but it is now all gone. This fire is now worse than last years fire near Colorado Springs. :sad: So sad to see our beautiful state burning again.

Bing Cherries should be coming on, however Cherries and Apricots got a lot of freeze damage this year. Are you anywhere near Colo Sps? Hoping you are Brooke are way out of danger!

I don't live near any of the fires. Our humble home is near the Red Rocks Ampitheatre southwest of Denver. However, there is a thick smoke blanket all over Metro Denver. Thoughts and prayers to the many, many families who have lost homes or are currently evacuated and just waiting not knowing if their home was saved.

Rori (Colorado resident working Idaho next 3 nights)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,934 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Katla, we take the ferry from Port Tqwnsend to go north (Mount Vernon, Bellingham) ……to go to Jake’s doctor and hospital we take the ferry from Bainbridge Island that goes right into downtown Seattle…when Jake went to a northern part of Seattle on Tuesday night he took the ferry from Kingston to Edmonds……the last time we took the ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria it was last summer when Jake’s brother came for a visit from Ohio.

:flowerforyou: Yanniejannie, you are so right……one the best resolutions I’ve kept is to stay away from canned and boxed foods and bread (and recently, cheese) for a lot of reasons including the high sodium content.

:flowerforyou: Lucy, one of the blessings of being at a maintenance level is that you can have a day of indulgence from time to time…….I am careful about them because often eating sugar or grains increases my craving for them and I’m uncomfortable for days wanting to eat things that I previously hadn’t even thought about.

:flowerforyou: Vicki, when I get behind in reading the posts, I write down the page number, day and time of the last post I read so I can go back to when I have time (at this moment, I am three pages behind)…sorry about Sassy and glad Toby is doing better.

:flowerforyou: Phoo, I have been a cat lover all my life….dogs are a new addition thanks to my darling husband….I have no idea about how I injured a muscle in my butt, I’m just so grateful it’s not a joint injury...please note new profile photo (Bernie, the cat, and Sasha, the poodle).

:flowerforyou: Robin, congrats on the good news at work

:flowerforyou: Meg,congrats on the good fitting skirt and the smart decision about the wine…clothes that fit better can be even more intoxicating than wine.

:flowerforyou: Heather, I get colder, too, now that I’m thinner so I often wear and layer of long underwear under everything .

:bigsmile: This was another busy dancing day……class this morning where two new dances were taught…..the session this afternoon was preparation for the performance at the assisted living home in two weeks and for the County Fair…..there were four of us practicing and it was like a dance party…..we danced about twenty dances in two hours and would have danced longer but the Zumba instructor arrived to set up the room for her class.

:flowerforyou: if anyone wants to join a squat challenge, here is the link
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1016966-let-s-motivate-each-other-4-week-squat-challenge-6-12-13?page=1#posts-15603951

:heart:Barbie from sunny NW Washington

“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else: you are the one who gets burned”---Buddha

[img][/img]194904olsgis3xqe.gif
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

I`ve just skimmed the posts...I`m at a conference this week, leaving at 7:45am and getting home around 11:30pm:yawn: ! I just skimmed the posts. Wishing everyone well, and cheering you on!!!

Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!! Yes, I`m doing that this week too, however some of my calories are "quick calories", and I try to always make sure I overestimate the calories I don`t know!

Have a wonderful day!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,718 Member
    Options
    morning all, I didnt get to the gym today again:grumble: even though I got up early, I have to work early today usually go in at ten but the other assistant is off so have to be there in an hour at 7;30,so trying to get everything done I need to do.. I am slowly dropping the lbs thank goodness I broke the plateau:wink:
    Hope everyone is enjoying there day, still pouring here,going to stop within the next few hours but have the sump pump plugged in just in case..
    talk with you all after work...
    if anyone that has a fit bit wants to be friends DM me:smile:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,241 Member
    Options
    Hello all,
    Sun shining today! DH will pay a quick visit to the cricket this pm. He was there all day yesterday and slept like a baby last night!

Michele - the IBS is a very unpredictable thing and is different for everybody. Some people find certain things upset them and that is trial and error. There are many web sites about it. With DH apart from a couple of things that are guaranteed to make him uncomfortable - lentils etc - it is much more his state of mind. He is a very anxious person and, like most men, doesn't always articulate what's on his mind. Often it is a travel anxiety - he doesn't like enclosed spaces - or it could just be worrying about his IBS! It seems to grow to a point where it just takes over his brain and his nights are just spent worrying and being very uncomfortable. He also worries that he won't be able to cope and will let me down.:frown:

I have been looking on websites for garlic help and now think there is nothing to be gained from leaving them in the ground any longer. I will dig up tomorrow whatever is there and if there are no cloves I will puree the bulbs and freeze it. I planted them in November and they look fantastic from above ground :grumble: Oh well, watch this space!

The dress shop has sold one of my dresses, the most expensive one, but I will only get £28 from the sale. The owner is going to keep the other items another week and reduce the price. I don't want them back so they will go to charity if not sold. One is a lovely silk dress I was really sorry to let go.

I hope things improve in Colorado soon. It hasn't been on our news, but I found it on the internet. Nightmare.

I did buy the blue nail varnish the other day. A dark blue one for my toes and a lighter blue for my hands. I normally only wear colourless or a very pale pink on my hands so it will be interesting! My hairdresser comes to my house tomorrow, but I don't want her to cut too much off this time. Last time it ended up a bit shorter than I like it and I want it just right for the party. I have her come to the house because of my thing about music and everywhere has it these days. Some places will turn it off for me, but it depends on the day and who is there, so it's just easier to have it done at home. It's also much cheaper! She does the colouring as well.

Chicken with Chinese mushrooms stir fry tonight. I do it with minimal oil and a low salt oyster sauce. Delicious! :bigsmile:

Love to all. Stay safe.:heart:

Heather in sunny Hampshire UK
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Hello, gals!

After work yesterday I went to the Y, arriving just ahead of storms. I did weights, then got on the treadmill, figuring it was raining so hard I didn't want to leave just then, but after just a couple of minutes the power went out! The storms were so bad they shooed everyone downstairs. They have these walls of windows and you couldn't see anything outside -- it looked like the glass was frosted. So weird. Rain, wind, lots and lots of lightning. I hung out there for 20 minutes or so, then dashed home. Once the storm actually passed the light was so strange outside --- very strange night weather-wise!

...and then my laptop ran out of juice as I was typing last night!

Hope everyone has a terrific day!

Gail, metro Atlanta
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Happy Fabulous Friday Vit F pals!!:happy:

Couldn't sleep so I actually got up and 4:30 and finally started de-cluttering. :laugh: I have a dining room table again! Miss the gym and especially the pool but my knee and ankles are still too painful for pushing it earlier in the week. I'm going to stick to stretching and maybe some Pilate matwork and maybe tomorrow I'll try the pool. I have enough "stuff" to take care of around the house to keep me busy anyway.

Barbie-Thanks for sharing the link re:squat challenge

Continued prayers for all those dealing with the Black Forest fires!

Hugs!

Kathy in what looks to be a promising day in IL :drinker:
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    TGIF!!!

Actually, one of my bosses is in Greece, so this week has been a breeze…if it weren’t for the crappy weather we’re having, that is. Today is still rainy and even chilly. I needed a jacket out there walking Milo this morning. Milo is finally starting to calm down (he’s 9). We saw a cat this morning, and normally, he would chase it (and I would let go of his leash because at 100 pounds, he could pull me down), but I said “No….off” and for the first time, he listened! I am so proud of him! He’s actually my husband’s dog and listens to him a lot better than me, but I think we’ve finally bonded!

Believe it or not, I lived in Philly my whole life until 5 years ago when we moved to Delaware and I never did the “tourist” thing. Philly is a very historic town and there are lots of things to see, so we are going to do a “Hop on, Hop off” Tour tomorrow. The weather is supposed to be beautiful! We also got tickets to the Franklin Institute, which is at one of the stops. The last time I was there was about 20 years ago, so I am looking forward to it. I’m hoping we’ll do a lot of walking tomorrow. I know we walked our feet off when we toured DC.

Sunday is Father’s Day, and since Frank’s dad just passed away in January, we’ll be visiting the cemetery and then taking his mom to brunch. This is going to be a tough day for everyone. We haven’t discussed dinner, but I’m sure we’ll all do something together. His mom’s a trooper, but these last six months have been hard on her. My parents passed away years ago, so she is the only parent who is left.

:flowerforyou: Lorrain – Hang in there. We all suffer little slip-ups now and then. If you get right back on track, those three pounds will disappear as quickly as they came.

:happy: Joyce – Congrats on being debt free! My previous house was paid off, but we bought a new home 5 years ago, so we’re back in debt again. Only good thing about that is that we get to claim the interest at income tax time, and since we don’t have any dependents, it does help.

:wink: Robin - So happy you’ll get the chance to enjoy your job again.

:tongue: Rita – Sometimes you just gotta splurge! Makes the hard work on most days worthwhile.

:wink: Meg – That’s why I love logging on MFP. It lets me know if I have calories left for a splurge item or not. Before MFP I never thought I ate that much, and that’s where I got into trouble.

:huh: Terri – I never heard of planting in straw bales. Let us know how you make out.

:happy: Critter Sue – Welcome to our group. You have quite the houseful! Our dog is a rescue as well.

:smile: Michele – When all the work is done, you’ll have to post a picture. It sounds like it will be beautiful!

:flowerforyou: Liz – When we moved to Delaware, we had to find all new doctors. We were so lucky to find wonderful doctors in our area. I hope you have as good an experience with your new doctor.

:laugh: Viv – I had a stepper that doubled as a clothes horse, so I eventually got rid of it. Now it’s my job to make sure my TM does the job for which it was intended!

:ohwell: Heather – Healing thoughts for your husband. I would imagine that the IBS creates anxiety which aggravates the IBS. It’s a vicious cycle.

:flowerforyou: Jb – All this talk of planting garlic and now I really want to learn how to do it successfully. It’s good to know that the fall is the best time to plant. Now on to the Internet to get clear instructions so we can enjoy harvesting our garlic next summer.

:smile: Molly – Don’t have any advice for you, but I hope you can be comfortable and enjoy your trip. You have enough things to worry about with your daughter’s surgery that travelling shouldn’t be one of them.

:heart: Connie – Praying for an end to the fires in Colorado. So sad for all who have lost their homes. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Keep safe.

:grumble: Tigress – Here’s hoping your computer problems get resolved. So much for “new and improved”, right?

:flowerforyou: Suzy – You’ll have to let me know how the Palmolive tip works out. I already lost my eggplants, but if that’s what it takes, I’ll use it next year.

:heart: Barbie – You are right about sugar being addictive. I have already been craving more sweets. Thank God I have support and the strength of all those who continue to be successful to show me the way. I will NOT let food get the best of me! Thanks for all your advice. It really does help.

Congrats to all on their success, and hugs to all who are struggling. Hang in…..it gets better!

GOALS FOR JUNE:
    Increase weights for circuit training to 5 pounds each.
    Consistent logging
    Drink at least 9 glasses of water a day
    Find an exercise class I enjoy

Hugs,
    Lucy in DE.:bigsmile:
  • keatsgeckos
    Options
    Hi gang,

Had a great fitness/weight loss moment last night. I've been practicing martial arts for close to 20 years. About 7 years ago I moved into MMA (kickboxing and juijitsu grappling).

A couple of years ago I got pneumonia pretty badly and shortly after my dad died. Make a long story short, I didn't train for close to a year, gained over 20 lbs and generally assumed, "well this is what turning 50 is going to be like -- health breaking down and rapid weight gain, lovely." I started training again about 14 months ago, got pneumonia a second time, was out 6 weeks and then finally went back to training.

In January I renewed my efforts to lose weight. However, I stayed away from the grappling. My core was not up to it and I was worried that my joints and bones couldn't take the stress. In March, I started strength training with a personal trainer. So to make a long story short, last night I showed up for grappling class 17 pounds lighter. When I walked onto the mat it was all guys! I ended up partnering with one of our young fighters and had a blast! My body works! I didn't get hurt or run out of gas! Fifty is COOL!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    JB: When you research rotator cuff injuries please share what you learn. I don't know much about shoulder anatomy and I'm not even sure what the rotator cuff is. :noway: I still have trouble getting comfortable sleeping after being pulled off of my feet down three concrete stairs by a recycling bin in March. :frown: It hurt like the devil when it happened, but I didn’t go into the doctor because I was the only driver and couldn’t drive myself. I decided to tough it out. I never lost motion in my shoulder joint and push-backs from the wall don’t hurt. Neither does yoga including down dog. What hurts is the top of my shoulder when I’m trying to sleep on my right side. I keep hoping it will go away and I think it is improving slowly. The more I learn about shoulders, the better I will like it.:flowerforyou:

Connie: I’ll keep your family in my prayers along with others in Colorado Springs. :flowerforyou:

Tigress: We’ll have to consider trying the corn tortillas as pizza crust. Pizza is on our “seldom eat” list these days because of the sodium. DH is very sensitive to it and we have to watch his blood pressure carefully.:flowerforyou:

Suzy: The chat threads have a 500 post limit. When we hit 500, Barbie starts a new thread for us. You can watch for it on the My Topics list. We’re at 168 at this second, but that will change with each new post.:wink:

Kathy: I’ve been doing better at avoiding stress eating since I’ve been on MFP, but I’ve spent years of my life doing it. Gentle exercise like walking seems to help me. I hope your stress load eases and you get back on track.:flowerforyou:

Nosoda0: You sound like you’re currently part of the sandwich generation—caring for elders and kids at the same time. I used to feel like a rapidly drying out tuna-fish filling and my parents and kids were two slices of dry bread, soaking the moisture out of me. I did the best I could. Things change.:smile: My parents and in-laws are gone now, and the kids are grown up and worrying about taking care of DH and me.:tongue::flowerforyou:

Joyce: You are possibly the best DIL on the entire planet. Your MIL is lucky to have you on her “team.” :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Rori: I’ve looked at the fire news for Colorado Springs, and am confused about what is where. It appears to me that this year’s fire is farther out in rural areas as compared with last year’s fire. Am I on target or mixed up? DS used to live in the Garden of the Gods area and still owns a townhouse there, but he is now stationed in WA. Last year's fire came close to his place. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: It seems like the trip to Seattle from your place would involve a lot of driving. I visited Google Earth to get a picture of the bridge access to Bainbridge Island. It could be a wonderful adventure to explore all the ways to get from place to place, but it seems like going to a Seattle doctor via ferry amounts to a pilgrimage! You live in a gorgeous area and it would be worth it!:flowerforyou:

DeeDee: I hope your conference is fascinating and fun.:flowerforyou:

Heather: Is your DH playing cricket or watching? Keep us posted on the garlic. I’ll have to look for low sodium oyster sauce. We found some tasty low sodium soy sauce that is actually made in our state. DH loves Chinese food and it is rare to find any in restaurants that isn’t loaded with sodium. We’ve started tying to make our own.:flowerforyou:

Gail: I’ve noticed that the light after a big storm is different. I wonder if the storms wash the air and we get to see it without its usual load of dust and pollutants.:flowerforyou:

There was a concert in the park near our house last night but DH and I didn’t attend. I did drop by for a few minutes while walking the dog. The music didn’t appeal to me and I didn’t see any of our neighbors there, so I wasn’t sorry about staying home. We’re looking forward to a visit from DS and DDIL on Saturday. It has been months since we’ve seen him and they are very generous to come by and see us right after he gets home. They’re coming now because we’ll be leaving Monday on our trip east for me to take care of DGD in CO while my daughter takes a class. How would I get by without abbreviations?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Katla in overcast NW Oregon

June goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    I am so dissapointed. The "loan" fell thru so now I am back to working for "her" and only going over to the good boss 2 days a week again. I am sick about this. And of course she is snarking away at me via email. :sad:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I'm having one of those days that you just don't want to get out of bed. I need a "me" day and I think today may be it. I know I can afford a spa day but just can't do it because it's just not in my vocabulary to spend that kind of money. But so far I am still in my PJs and not usre if I want to go tot the Y. I'm still sore from yesterday. Even though we don't play golf, except mini golf, we love proffesional golf and I'm watching the US Open

have a good day everyone Joyce
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies- Thanks for all of the encouragement you give me. Reading your posts and seeing your resolve helps focus me and keep me on track.
    So, I didn't make it to the pool this morning. I made it into my swimsuit, into the driver's seat, and then decided it would be foolish to go when I wouldn't be able to make it through the session. I think the mix I used to make my dinner last night must have had gluten in it. It was a rough night, and hasn't been much fun yet this morning, either. I am supposed to be going to a birthday luncheon w/ friends, but I don't think that is going to work, either. Maybe I will go and enjoy their company and a glass of iced tea. Not whining, just reporting the morning frustration.
    Everytime I read about the fires in Co or the nasty weather out East, I send prayers for safety. I have been lucky all my life to live in places that do not usually experience that type of catastrophic weather. I don't know how I would react to a fire bearing down on my home, I just don't handle panic well. Anyway, prayers are in the air!

--Joyce- It is so awful that the NH is forcing your MIL to spend money on things really not 'needed', but until someone changes the system, we are all going to be caught in traps like that.
    I know what you mean about the WW Fudge bars. I close my eyes as I go passed that freezer section!

Michelle- My IBS symptoms are affected by emotions more than anything else. When I was diagnosed w/ non-celiac gluten intolerance, I thought that if I avoided gluten I would never have IBS again. Well, that isn't what happened. I can be eating perfectly gluten-clean, but if I get upset, I will have horrible cramps, explosive diaherra, and a low-grade fever. It may last a day or longer. It isn't pleasant. I hope that guy your daughter is dating takes care of himself.

Connie- Lots of prayers for Colorado and your brother. I have a friend who lives above that very expensive pro-golf course, and I am praying hard that she and her animals are safe, too.
    To answer your question, I do not eat back the calories, and I try to eat all of the 1600, but sometimes, I just don't quite make it. I usually end up w/ 100 to 300 left. I am more afraid of overeating than undereating. I really think it is that I am still not moving enough. I don't know. I will just keep working at it, at least, for right now, I am not even thinking about quitting.

BarbieCat- Bernie is a very handsome cat, and Sasha is very regal. I do love animals, but for the summer I only have my one old tom cat. In the winter my partner brings his Jack Russell (13 yrs old!) and a very spoiled lavendar-point Siamese.

Joyce- It is 11:36 a.m. here as I write this, and I am in my night-shirt, too. Consider it your indulgence for today, and let it go. If you are still sore from yesterday, maybe you could do some gentle stretching exercises to ease the aches. Take care, be well, and be kind to yourself.

Take care, everyone. Be well and be safe.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    Good Friday afternoon everyone! Well, I finished one squat challenge and started another. This one I started and the link is: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1016966-let-s-motivate-each-other-4-week-squat-challenge-6-12-13?page=1#posts-15603951 Someone else already posted the link earlier. I just wanted to do it again as a reminder. It has been a rough week for calories. I had a lunch and learn on Wednesday with provided food, went to Olive Garden with DD on Thursday, and today my DH cooked a huge lunch that I went home from work to eat! I will definitely get back to normal eating soon! I have been doing my strength training as planned but walking this week, between the lunches and the weather hasn't been too easy. I did get to walk today, humidity is low and temp is down some. I read everyone's posts from the last time I posted yesterday. I really enjoy reading them! My weekends are never organized or planned so I am not sure if I will be on again before Monday. Everyone on this list are in my thoughts and prayers. Thankful for some and sending helpful thoughts for others. Have a great one everyone!

June Goals:
    8 - 8oz glasses of water daily
    check
    burn 200 calories at least 3 times a day
    check
    25 jumping jacks daily
    check
    7,000 steps a day
    90%
    yard work or outside at least 15 min a day
    40%
    Complete squat challenge
    check
    Arm weights 3 times a week
    check
    45 min cardio 5 times a week
    80%

Rita from Sunny Tennessee!
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    OOPS! :noway: type in last post. Should have wrote
    burn 200 calories at least 3 times a week
    :blushing:
  • Katla49
    Options
    Can't seem to delete. Redoing.
  • Katla49
    Options
    I am so dissapointed. The "loan" fell thru so now I am back to working for "her" and only going over to the good boss 2 days a week again. I am sick about this. And of course she is snarking away at me via email. :sad:

Collect the snarky emails from bad boss in a file, including your replies when a reply is needed. If you can make it a paper file, date the entries. That way you'll have a record even if the computer system goes down. You might need it later. She sounds like a real piece of work.:mad:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    TGIF~~Had a lunch date with hubby.Doing laundry and catching up here.
    Hope u r enjoying your day!!
    HUGS
    jane
  • CritterSue
    CritterSue Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I just wanted to check in and say hello. I'm going to try and do it at least once a day. Since I work with animals, I sometimes forget to connect with people as often as I should. I swear one day I'm going to wake up and instead of talking-I'll start barking, lol.
    Hope everyone has a nice Father's Day weekend with their families...
    Critter Sue :~)
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Quick post tonight.
    Robin so sorry the lend deal fell through. Good advice to collect the e-mails.
    Going our of town tomorrow for a couple of days. I'll try to check in on Sunday.
    Sue in TX