Obsessed with my weight loss

Options

Replies

• frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I get that all the time! If I'm eating out I tend to log while waiting for the food as well......my reply to my 16 year old daughter the last time she said "mom, your obsessed" was "I'm really not obsessed........I'm old and if I don't log it now, I won't remember what it was later".....nothing wrong with trying to be accurate with logging!!

:flowerforyou: I'm with you on this one. I don't know about anyone else - but when I log it really doesn't take me all that long if you are used to doing it on your phone. Can take less time than a few texts. I'll usually say - "Excuse me a moment while I log this in before I forget".
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with ordering a healthy option when you go out, but having worked in the service industry, I don't think it's appropriate to interrogate your server about minutiae. A question or two is okay, but you have to understand that the server probably doesn't know. They're often really busy, and they don't have time to go interrogate the cook who may or may not speak English and probably doesn't have time for it either. It's annoying for everyone, and it's really not necessary to lose weight. I've found that going by the ingredients and guesstimating has been just as effective for me. As far as your diet and weight loss goals, it doesn't make you obsessed, but you should be more sensitive to the people around you. Your friends may be embarrassed that you are being a difficult patron.
    I agree.

Tritto. I'd be annoyed if I were there with you too.
  • moonshine_betty
    moonshine_betty Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I wonder if everyone who's congratulating you for being so "dedicated" missed the part where you asked the server how many ounces of cheese were in your food. Questions like that are probably why your friends think you're obsessed, which I understand. It's great that you're trying so hard to be accurate with your logging but asking your server in-depth questions about the contents of your meal seems a bit much. And pointless, to boot. I mean, really, it's unlikely that the cooks have any idea how many ounces of cheese are in your food because they're not in the kitchen weighing every ingredient that goes into it. Plus as someone else already mentioned, it's frustrating to the server because they more than likely don't know the answers to your questions and have to engage in a lot of back and forth with the cooks to get answers which just delays everyone. I have friends who are like this and believe me, it's annoying as hell for everyone else at the table and a little embarrassing.

I can understand having general questions about your food (Is there dairy in it? Is it grilled or fried? What kind of oil is used? etc.). But if you need to know every little thing that goes into your meal you might as well cook your own foods at home. Because even if you specify exactly what you want and how you want it prepared, there's no guarantee your requests are being accommodated to the letter and so your "accurate" log probably isn't as accurate as you think.
  • Love_Is_My_Fuel
    Love_Is_My_Fuel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    obsessed-dedicated.jpg

LOVE THIS!!!!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Maybe just make your best guess on the food rather than asking the poor waitress 20 questions. But yeah, it can feel a little like an obsession. Worth it if it works though!
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You probably should stop going with them if you aren't enjoying your time with them. It is a bit obsessive on your part, or at the least judgmental, that you memorized what she was eating and then listed it all of. Big breakfasts aren't that bad to have as long as you keep your calories under control for the rest of the day. If you feel fine with what you're eating just ignore them or stop going to the diner with them until they can see where you are coming from. Also think about that poor waitress, they don't get paid extra to answer a bunch of questions and they could be missing out on other customers when they are answering your questions, they don't get paid that much.
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Just think of it this way: Every single day you strive to become a better and healthier version of yourself! People that are not in the same mindset just do not understand why we ask so many quesitons and log the way we do.

You can try to explain it to them once and leave it at that. Of course it's a good thing if they say they are concerned because they are your friends and want to look out for you, however it sounds like they cannot grasp the "why" of what our MFP family is all about!

Keep on loggin'!!!!
  • anvacarz_again
    Options
    Have you ever been on the opposite side of this? Before your loss, you might have gone out with a friend or family member who got the grilled chicken and veggies while you ordered the burger and fries. The reason you say anything is because you are irritated that YOU aren't eating like THEM. Not to sound childish, but it is kinda a jealousy thing. If everyone is eating cookies, we find comfort in that we are all eating "bad", but then that one person has to ruin it by saying, "no, thanks".

Shrug them off and keep doing what you do! :) It's obviously working!
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    If you go there a couple times a week & you get the same things, just prelog your food. For small local chains without nutritional info, I usually find something similar on MFP and just log it as that. In the beginning I was more obsessive with it being the correct calorie count. I've learned over time that nothing is really exact. Heck, I have seen 2 different natural peanut butters with the exact same ingredient list & same macros & micros listed on the label but with 2 different calorie counts.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I wonder if everyone who's congratulating you for being so "dedicated" missed the part where you asked the server how many ounces of cheese were in your food. Questions like that are probably why your friends think you're obsessed, which I understand. It's great that you're trying so hard to be accurate with your logging but asking your server in-depth questions about the contents of your meal seems a bit much. And pointless, to boot. I mean, really, it's unlikely that the cooks have any idea how many ounces of cheese are in your food because they're not in the kitchen weighing every ingredient that goes into it. Plus as someone else already mentioned, it's frustrating to the server because they more than likely don't know the answers to your questions and have to engage in a lot of back and forth with the cooks to get answers which just delays everyone. I have friends who are like this and believe me, it's annoying as hell for everyone else at the table and a little embarrassing.

I can understand having general questions about your food (Is there dairy in it? Is it grilled or fried? What kind of oil is used? etc.). But if you need to know every little thing that goes into your meal you might as well cook your own foods at home. Because even if you specify exactly what you want and how you want it prepared, there's no guarantee your requests are being accommodated to the letter and so your "accurate" log probably isn't as accurate as you think.

I agree. Totally!
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been on the opposite side of this? Before your loss, you might have gone out with a friend or family member who got the grilled chicken and veggies while you ordered the burger and fries. The reason you say anything is because you are irritated that YOU aren't eating like THEM. Not to sound childish, but it is kinda a jealousy thing. If everyone is eating cookies, we find comfort in that we are all eating "bad", but then that one person has to ruin it by saying, "no, thanks".

Shrug them off and keep doing what you do! :) It's obviously working!

That COULD be the issue, yes, but if she's asking the server a bunch of questions about the tiniest details of her food, it's also a distinct possibility that they are embarrassed or annoyed. I would be. Also, if she's looking at her phone for 15 minutes after doing this, I'd be wondering why exactly she came if she wasn't going to interact with me.
  • gaterbear
    gaterbear Posts: 68
    Options
    Excellent comment. I agree 100%.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I call it focused.
  • gaterbear
    gaterbear Posts: 68
    Options

I agree. Totally!
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    You're not obsessed. You're trying to be aware of what you're eating.

That being said, there is, in my mind, a possibility that they may feel uncomfortable if their impression is that the questions you ask are making the waitstaff uncomfortable. That may be where some of the venom in the "you're obsessed" comment comes from.

After all, if the chef uses the W.A.G. (Wild *kitten* Guess) or the T.L.A.R. (That Looks About Right) system of measuring, they may not know the answer, so the waitstaff certainly won't know.
  • KellyyT
    KellyyT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    my two cents.

1. if you eat here twice a week, every week, i'd think you'd be able to ballpark your food. guesstimate! it's always better to round up than round down. if they tell you 2 oz, but you KNOW it looks like 5oz, are you really going to put 2 oz?

2. it's rude to be on your phone when you're out to a meal with other people, even if it does take "less time than a few texts."

3. just because other people don't want you on your phone logging all the time, or listen to you ask 50 million questions about anything and everything you eat, doesn't make them jealous, fat, non-dedicated, etc, etc.

4. MFP becomes addictive, i know it myself. but that doesn't give you a right to judge everyone else on their decisions. that makes you just as bad as them, if not worse. i eat burgers and fries and pancakes and i'm STILL losing weight. i'm just willing to go to the gym to make up for it. are you happier or better than me because you're eating egg whites and whole wheat toast?
  • admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    my two cents.

1. if you eat here twice a week, every week, i'd think you'd be able to ballpark your food. guesstimate! it's always better to round up than round down. if they tell you 2 oz, but you KNOW it looks like 5oz, are you really going to put 2 oz?

2. it's rude to be on your phone when you're out to a meal with other people, even if it does take "less time than a few texts."

3. just because other people don't want you on your phone logging all the time, or listen to you ask 50 million questions about anything and everything you eat, doesn't make them jealous, fat, non-dedicated, etc, etc.

4. MFP becomes addictive, i know it myself. but that doesn't give you a right to judge everyone else on their decisions. that makes you just as bad as them, if not worse. i eat burgers and fries and pancakes and i'm STILL losing weight. i'm just willing to go to the gym to make up for it. are you happier or better than me because you're eating egg whites and whole wheat toast?

Totally agree.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    You guys are right about the waitress! I'm in there so often and she seems so happy to do it. I should know better because I bartend on the weekends. I go there twice a week and some times more often and I would only get a bowl of oatmeal and now Im starting to try different things. See I used to just eat as much of what ever I wanted. I am more disciplined now. I will consider the server and cooks next time I go there. thanks
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I imagine part of the problem is logging while you wait. If this is a social gathering, what are you doing with your phone out? That is extremely rude, and ever more commonplace.

Try actually being there with your friends and turning the conversation around to what is new in their lives. They will appreciate your interest, and have little time left over to criticize your habits.
  • fizzfizz
    fizzfizz Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am also obsessed! Went out with folks recently and had checked the menu online before we got there to stay on track! Was slightly embarrassed to admit it, as everyone else ordered big hi cal sharing plates and cheesy chips .. so I was the only one eating solo.

I don't log in front of people though .. but I do sneak it in on the way home ;)

My pals certainly try and get me to 'lighten up' about it (er no pun intended!) but as I am doing it for knee joint health reasons I point out that my knees don't get days off which defuses that one neatly.

If you have already worked out some low cal options on that menu anyway why not order the same thing? Then you focus on your friends and don't need to worry about quizzing? Just a thought. I also allow extra cals to spare if I am off out ... I have no trouble using them later if I get off lightly!

Well done you for staying on top of the count :)