Alternative religions. Anyone follow one?

Options

Replies

• soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Wow, I came back to this thread expecting it to be gone today. Awesome that it's continued without belligerence. Made for some interesting reading at lunch time, and I've learned some stuff I'd never heard of before. I'll be 'googling' for days on some of it, lol

I wish we had a group full of people just like this. A group where we could discuss religion, metaphysics, philosophy you name it and nobody would get all butt hurt and we could all learn about each other without having our threads locked down.
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    There is a modern example to "sin". Sin to me is not being trustworthy. It's like working for a boss or government and you cheat on them. They have trusted you to do the job or obey the laws of the land but you didn't want to do it. If you get caught, you go to jail, lose your job, get demoted etc. and not considered as being trustworthy. To me the Christian context is the same. God like an employer or government has a job for us to do and wants to trust us in doing it(whether you believe it or not). If you intentially scew up then you are not trustworthy. That is sin, to me it it not being good or evil, it's just the choices we make to those in charge or in authority or relationships.

The thing is in that scenario we are talking about a boss who has 100% perfect knowledge of the actions of every single employee he has and his punishment for disobedience is infinite suffering for ever single moment of an infinite amount of time. Since we are finite beings we are actually incapable of deserving and infinite amount of suffering for any amount of time. So there would be no possibility that such a being could even be good.

This would be compounded even further by the fact that he would have 100% accurate foreknowledge of every single action taken by each of those employees even before they were hired. In other words there would never be an action taken by any of us that would actually surprise god. This means that anyone who went to hell would also not surprise him. In fact it is difficult to envision a scenario where in which any could occur outside of such a beings intention. Meaning if I went to hell it would simply be a result of god's choices.

The idea of god does not stand up to logic because free will and omniscience cannot exist at the same time. It would be like having two people and each of them is taller than the other. It just can't happen.

But you have already stacked the deck my friend by creating god as all knowing and omniscience. You have defined god within paramaters that I do not believe. If you dig into it, like Genisis, God had watchers, and even Satan to observe the earth and report to him what was going on. Why would an all knowing god need spies and watchers ?
  • foxro
    Options
    Snipped prior quotes for brevity!

You cannot prove a negative though.

Prove to me that your water sample has no contaminating mercury. You can't. The best you could do is say it is below the level of detection for whatever test you used. So, based on that evidence, it is safe to drink.

I'm the same with a god. There is no positive evidence that one exists, but the possibility cannot be ruled out completely. I think it HIGHLY improbable, of course, but it never does to shut ones minds totally.

By the way:

Matter can be created on the quantum level. It has been observed.

The entropy of the system refers to the complete system (i.e. the planet in this case). Organization can occur on a smaller scale (i.e. crystals, life).

And what came before the big bang? In science (as you should apparently know) when we don't know the answer, we say "I don't know". Making up entities to explain unknowns defies Ockham's razor.

The difference is how you approach an issue - aka "Innocent until proven guilty" versus "Guilty until proven innocent". My positive is that God exists. My quotes on science were to support a dynamic thought and investigative process. What we believed true yesterday, changes. The first law of thermodynamics - changed and if time allows us what we believed as truths or laws will change. My journey in this area is like many others, personal and you have do it yourself. Some given information will come to other conclusions and how that information correlates. I'm one of them, and I could be wrong. But for myself, what I believe in is based on the information at hand and whether I "trust" that information. I lived during the time of the moon landing. I did not witness the moon landing first hand but believe it happened. There are others who believe it did not. I did not live during the time of Moses or Jesus so I do not have concrete tangible evidence or artifacts that they exist. What I know is circumstantial what I have read and whether I choose to believe. This is same as other writings in time periods in which we did not witness. We can choose to believe or not believe what prior humans have written on any subject matter. So with the science thing I say yes, this is what we believe today, but I know that will change.

Firstly, I'm going to suggest one of my favourite essays by one of my favourite writers: Asimov's "The Relativity of Wrong". http://chem.tufts.edu/answersinscience/relativityofwrong.htm

Yes, science changes, but mainly by incremental steps. True paradigm shifts a la Khun are very rare.

Secondly, when viewing historical evidence (not that I am a historian) multiple sources are usually referred to to try and ascertain the veracity of any event or person. Unfortunately for the Bible, there are no external references to the Exodus (and the Egyptians wrote everything down! You'd think they'd notice all their slaves up and leaving one day), or even to Jesus (the mention of him in Josephus in the Testimonium Flavianum appears to be a later insertion). No first hand accounts of Jesus or his life exist - kinda strange when you think about how important he supposedly was. The earliest Gospels as we know them were first written in 70 AD - decades after his supposed crucifixion. Note - absence of evidence is not evidence for absence, but it is very strange when you find nothing for events such as this.

If God existed and did the things he is claimed to have done, one would expect some sort of evidence. And yet we see nothing. Miracles don't happen today. Intercessory prayers are not answered (unless, like in certain heart attack/prayer studies, the results are fudged and the people who got better were belatedly put on the "prayer" treatment). So it is still your burden of proof to show your positive. Why should I believe in your god if it can't be shown?

Frankly that's your opinion and I respect that. If you feel by your knowledge there is not proof so be it. And you do not have to believe in my god. That is my choice, and your choice is not to.

Proof - my perspective - we are the evidence, the animals are evidence, the earth and universe. I can either accept many histroical notations of a creator or the other alternatives. The creator makes sense to me because, we are models that aspire to creation, development and exploration. We do it ouselves, we create, build, destroy, love procreate etc. If we indeed have those capabilities which continue to grow, the given this enormous universe why can't it follow that the same model exists elsewhere and is a bit more down the road in knowledge and science than we are has has applied those capabilites. To continue the coverstation, we need to understand what you believe the characteris of god are versus mine. If not, we are arguing apples and oranges.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    There is a modern example to "sin". Sin to me is not being trustworthy. It's like working for a boss or government and you cheat on them. They have trusted you to do the job or obey the laws of the land but you didn't want to do it. If you get caught, you go to jail, lose your job, get demoted etc. and not considered as being trustworthy. To me the Christian context is the same. God like an employer or government has a job for us to do and wants to trust us in doing it(whether you believe it or not). If you intentially scew up then you are not trustworthy. That is sin, to me it it not being good or evil, it's just the choices we make to those in charge or in authority or relationships.

The thing is in that scenario we are talking about a boss who has 100% perfect knowledge of the actions of every single employee he has and his punishment for disobedience is infinite suffering for ever single moment of an infinite amount of time. Since we are finite beings we are actually incapable of deserving and infinite amount of suffering for any amount of time. So there would be no possibility that such a being could even be good.

This would be compounded even further by the fact that he would have 100% accurate foreknowledge of every single action taken by each of those employees even before they were hired. In other words there would never be an action taken by any of us that would actually surprise god. This means that anyone who went to hell would also not surprise him. In fact it is difficult to envision a scenario where in which any could occur outside of such a beings intention. Meaning if I went to hell it would simply be a result of god's choices.

The idea of god does not stand up to logic because free will and omniscience cannot exist at the same time. It would be like having two people and each of them is taller than the other. It just can't happen.

But you have already stacked the deck my friend by creating god as all knowing and omniscience. You have defined god within paramaters that I do not believe. If you dig into it, like Genisis, God had watchers, and even Satan to observe the earth and report to him what was going on. Why would an all knowing god need spies and watchers ?

Bare in mind this is not my definition for god because I don't believe there is one. This means I am forced to examine the definitions that I am given. The most popular definition for god is one without any limitations whatsoever so that is the definition I am most often examining.

I can see why that definition is so popular. The scriptures certainly describe him that way 1 John 3:20 (omniscience) and in Matthew 19:25-26 Jesus himself blatantly says that all things are possible for god (omnipotence). These scriptures actually do intend to say these things even if you go back to their original translations.

I think the people that wrote the bible were just wanting to advertise their product to the best of their ability. And like all good advertisers you never say your product is really good you always say it is the best. So they got a little carried away with themselves and wrote in some scriptures that described a logically impossible god.

You could take the position that these scriptures were mistranslated or misinterpreted but I warn you that does open a can of worms.

Either way we hit a bit of a speed bump here because we did not have the same definitions to start from. So in order to try and smooth out the road a bit we need to take a short pause.

Please provide for me your definition for god and if you could indulge me further please tell me why you believe it.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Atheist since birth <3

Not a "hipster atheist" either. I've honestly never even heard of that.

Do you start randomly screaming at anyone holding a bible or any other religion book?

Do you start attacking people who are minding their own business and only flaw is they belong to a religion?

Do you try to derail any argument and say stupid things like "all I know is that religion has caused many wars" or "religion is the mass murderer" etc (even though its not even close to being the truth)?

Do you constantly belittle other peoples intelligence by saying "oh yeah you beleive in your imaginary superman, I believe in science!" when the superman believing guy is actually doing his doctorate and you're still in first year of college?

If any of those answers in yes, then you're a hipster Atheist who's just trying to get on the bandwagon. If you're being respectful to others, then kudos, you're awesome and I love you.

crikey....you sound a bit angry here.....deeeeeep breath!!
  • foxro
    Options

Bare in mind this is not my definition for god because I don't believe there is one. This means I am forced to examine the definitions that I am given. The most popular definition for god is one without any limitations whatsoever so that is the definition I am most often examining.

I can see why that definition is so popular. The scriptures certainly describe him that way 1 John 3:20 (omniscience) and in Matthew 19:25-26 Jesus himself blatantly says that all things are possible for god (omnipotence). These scriptures actually do intend to say these things even if you go back to their original translations.

I think the people that wrote the bible were just wanting to advertise their product to the best of their ability. And like all good advertisers you never say your product is really good you always say it is the best. So they got a little carried away with themselves and wrote in some scriptures that described a logically impossible god.

You could take the position that these scriptures were mistranslated or misinterpreted but I warn you that does open a can of worms.

Either way we hit a bit of a speed bump here because we did not have the same definitions to start from. So in order to try and smooth out the road a bit we need to take a short pause.

Please provide for me your definition for god and if you could indulge me further please tell me why you believe it.

In any event I think we've scored a touchdown. I try to gain my persective not only from the Bible but other teachings/histories etc.
    Yes people wrote this stuff so sorting through it all is tough. My undertanding it was men who decided what goes in the Bible and what stays out. Another book was written, which I will not state, because they thought the Bible was corrupted by men. Yes I can be skeptical, but I have elected to go down my own path to figure it out. So my views also change. Maybe it will never be conclusive for me. Take care my friend !!!
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Atheist since birth <3

Do you start randomly screaming at anyone holding a bible or any other religion book?

Do you start attacking people who are minding their own business and only flaw is they belong to a religion?

Do you try to derail any argument and say stupid things like "all I know is that religion has caused many wars" or "religion is the mass murderer" etc (even though its not even close to being the truth)?

Do you constantly belittle other peoples intelligence by saying "oh yeah you beleive in your imaginary superman, I believe in science!" when the superman believing guy is actually doing his doctorate and you're still in first year of college?

If any of those answers in yes, then you're a hipster Atheist who's just trying to get on the bandwagon. If you're being respectful to others, then kudos, you're awesome and I love you.

I see where they are coming from though, hipsters can get very frustrating.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Frankly that's your opinion and I respect that. If you feel by your knowledge there is not proof so be it. And you do not have to believe in my god. That is my choice, and your choice is not to.

Proof - my perspective - we are the evidence, the animals are evidence, the earth and universe. I can either accept many histroical notations of a creator or the other alternatives. The creator makes sense to me because, we are models that aspire to creation, development and exploration. We do it ouselves, we create, build, destroy, love procreate etc. If we indeed have those capabilities which continue to grow, the given this enormous universe why can't it follow that the same model exists elsewhere and is a bit more down the road in knowledge and science than we are has has applied those capabilites. To continue the coverstation, we need to understand what you believe the characteris of god are versus mine. If not, we are arguing apples and oranges.

We are evidence that we are here. The universe is evidence that the universe exists.

I have no definition of any god. I have been given many different ones by many different theists. I try not to assume, but a standard omni-max god seems the most common (at least, among Christians), for reasons laid out by soldier.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Atheist since birth <3

I don't think Taunto was angry when he wrote that. :)

The description does sound a lot like the stereotypical "angry atheist" to me though. And I've seen some of what can give that impression.
  • foxro
    Options

We are evidence that we are here. The universe is evidence that the universe exists.

I have no definition of any god. I have been given many different ones by many different theists. I try not to assume, but a standard omni-max god seems the most common (at least, among Christians), for reasons laid out by soldier.

Sure thing. Give the story of the Tower of Babel a try. What men constructed was considered a threat to heaven. Why would god consider us a threat ? Also states that man if left as an organized enttity we would be able to do anything. Hence do we ourselves become as god through our evolving development. Interesting. So as the story goes that's why people were scattered because we were a threat to heaven. Take care, respect your views but I will plod on in trying to understand as much as I can.

Edited - god has an army of angels - why does he need an army ?
    There is a prophecy of war in heaven - why ?
    When god visted earth he often asked what we were doing - why ?
  • soldier4242
    Options

In any event I think we've scored a touchdown. I try to gain my persective not only from the Bible but other teachings/histories etc.
    Yes people wrote this stuff so sorting through it all is tough. My undertanding it was men who decided what goes in the Bible and what stays out. Another book was written, which I will not state, because they thought the Bible was corrupted by men. Yes I can be skeptical, but I have elected to go down my own path to figure it out. So my views also change. Maybe it will never be conclusive for me. Take care my friend !!!

But I am genuinely interested in your definition of God. I think it is great that you have a realistic view about the formulation of the bible and I think it is great that you are at least to some degree skeptical.

I was actually impressed that your definition of God was not consistent with the limitless version since that definition is logically untenable. I hope I did not give you the impression that I was in any way trying to badger or belittle you.

I am not at a destination. I don't go around saying "There is no God." so obviously I am not completely certain. I am just not convinced but I do think that by discussing this we can eliminate impossibilities until we reach the actual truth whatever it may be.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    300+ posts and no lock? yay! :heart: for polite, reasoned discourse!

edit to add: i forgot earlier: i prostrate myself at the Temple of Sweat every day. that is how i purify myself. :drinker:
  • soldier4242
    Options

Sure thing. Give the story of the Tower of Babel a try. What men constructed was considered a threat to heaven. Why would god consider us a threat ? Also states that man if left as an organized enttity we would be able to do anything. Hence do we ourselves become as god through our evolving development. Interesting. So as the story goes that's why people were scattered because we were a threat to heaven. Take care, respect your views but I will plod on in trying to understand as much as I can.

Edited - god has an army of angels - why does he need an army ?
    There is a prophecy of war in heaven - why ?
    When god visted earth he often asked what we were doing - why ?

I think you have some valid points here. It is entirely possible that the power of god was overstated. While this doesn't say much in favor of the bible being inerrant it does lend some credence to the assertion that God is limited rather than unlimited which then makes it possible to come up with an idea of god that is logically possible. That is still a long ways off from demonstrating that he actually exists but it is closer than the limitless god that I have been asked to address by so many other theists.

First of all he wouldn't know all of our actions prior to us knowing them ourselves. This would mean that our futures are unscripted so there is potential for free will here.

Since it is still necessary that god actually be a good guy I would bring up another question regarding hell. Do you think it is an eternal punishment or is it a finite punishment? While you definition of god does eliminate the problem of predestination the sheer fact that he created so many of us and there are only two options he must have known that some number would end up in hell. Are people like me simply acceptable losses?
  • foxro
    Options
    Hey soldier, I can't take credit for some of this. Years ago a co-worker started talking to me about my thoughts of God. He was kicked out of his church for asking too many questions. They thought he wasn't in line with their doctrines and gave him the boot. He went on his own path - learned greek, latin, hebrew and started to do his own translations. He went beyond the Bible and tried to dig into everything he could find of the subject. Mythologies from around the world and works by folks like Velokovsky (sp) who had the disaster theories instead of evolution. I believed the one thing he told me was, God is a scientist, farmer/builder with a physical body who set the physical laws of the universe, and in doing so has elected to be bound by the laws he set in motion. There is a universal government that he presides over. Wow that just blew my mind cause it isn't the popular thoughts. It sounds crazy, but it motivated me to "dig in". I had all kinds skepticism. Sounded too much like Star Wars !! I still do today. This thing he did for me was make it seem plausable from our own context or what we see here, life death, love war, peace etc. The difference being the order of magnitude of intelligence and knowledge(god). So that's it. One thing he cautionned me on was "man created god in his image" as to have the powers of god, e.g. control of others etc. and there is a lot of human made stuff and garbage to wade through to rationalize to be self serving and god-like.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    Hey soldier, I can't take credit for some of this. Years ago a co-worker started talking to me about my thoughts of God. He was kicked out of his church for asking too many questions. They thought he wasn't in line with their doctrines and gave him the boot. He went on his own path - learned greek, latin, hebrew and started to do his own translations. He went beyond the Bible and tried to dig into everything he could find of the subject. Mythologies from around the world and works by folks like Velokovsky (sp) who had the disaster theories instead of evolution. I believed the one thing he told me was, God is a scientist, farmer/builder with a physical body who set the physical laws of the universe, and in doing so has elected to be bound by the laws he set in motion. There is a universal government that he presides over. Wow that just blew my mind cause it isn't the popular thoughts. It sounds crazy, but it motivated me to "dig in". I had all kinds skepticism. Sounded too much like Star Wars !! I still do today. This thing he did for me was make it seem plausable from our own context or what we see here, life death, love war, peace etc. The difference being the order of magnitude of intelligence and knowledge(god). So that's it. One thing he cautionned me on was "man created god in his image" as to have the powers of god, e.g. control of others etc. and there is a lot of human made stuff and garbage to wade through to rationalize to be self serving and god-like.

Well nobody is an island. When I first started to question whether or not I should stay in the Catholic church. I started to speculate the possibility of a god that had different properties than the one described in the bible. It is possible to come up with a deity that can at least exist within a logical model as a thought experiment. The hurdle that I could not get over that landed me where I am now is the fact that I don't have any real evidence to base my description on.

I applaud you for putting real thought in to this. There are so many that have swallowed pure dogma in one big gulp. As a result their ideas are backward compatible with the ideas of the middle eastern men that wrote the bible. We live in a modern era now and we need to be able to out grows some the their archaic views.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Really enjoying all the well thought out responses, and overall good behavior I've seen.
    That said, my personal belief is that I'll have another beer. In this I am a true believer. I've looked at multiple different religions, none fit, but I do like the philosophy of many of them.
  • foxro
    Options
    Really enjoying all the well thought out responses, and overall good behavior I've seen.
    That said, my personal belief is that I'll have another beer. In this I am a true believer. I've looked at multiple different religions, none fit, but I do like the philosophy of many of them.

I agree, I think this is the best post I've ever participated in. Let's keep it goin !!! And me, well a beer is store as well !!! Cheers everyone !!!!
  • WanderingLass
    WanderingLass Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    We live in a modern era now and we need to be able to out grows some the their archaic views.

You hit one of the nails on the head of why I dislike organized religion. The denomination I am baptized in (can't change that, was done when I was but a month old) still does not allow women on the Board of Elders. Women are still primarily shuffled to the kitchen during potlucks and other functions.

Sorry, you don't want me in the kitchen!! LOL
  • WanderingLass
    WanderingLass Posts: 86 Member
    Options

I agree, I think this is the best post I've ever participated in. Let's keep it goin !!! And me, well a beer is store as well !!! Cheers everyone !!!!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    generally my beliefs are Daoist. Mostly because of the attempts to make sense of the universe.

I have a real issue with people who put their faith in another 'being' (for want of a better word) as if that absolves them of responsibility for their actions.

I'm not quite sure how putting your faith in another being or a higher power absolves you of responsibility for your actions. I'm a Christian and I've almost always taken responsibility for my own actions. I don't quite see where that idea comes frIf. No major faith system that I know of (and I have many friends from very different religious backgrounds) says that belief in a higher power absolves you of personal responsibility.
    Well some people, presidents even, have suggested that 'God told me to do it' (insert chosen title of godlike being). It is THAT I have an issue with.

Having said that, there are some excellent discussions on the last few pages that should not be derailed, and I'm very impressed by the level of conversation given that on Taoist websites i have been on some of the things that have been discussed would cause a locking of he thread.....