there's just some things you shouldnt say to a new mom

Options
2»

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Yeah, men just don't see things the same as we do. He took your comment as an invitation to also comment because he didn't realize that doing so would hurt your feelings...and that being exacerbated by hormones just doesn't help.

But ignoring him won't help anything, and if anything at all, he probably doesn't even know what's wrong. Men must be told...not only are they not mind readers, but they also suck at hints. Tell him how you feel, and in the future, don't set yourself up by making a comment. It's quite possible that he might disagree with your opinion, so if you keep yours to yourself, he's more likely to keep his to himself and then you wouldn't be hurt by whatever it was anyway.
  • CaseyBee
    CaseyBee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You will have the body you want again. There will always be other women who are going to look better than me or you. But your husband's not married to any of them. ;)

I LOVE that last part! Well said! :)
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Right away my heart broke for you! I could also be incredibly hormonal, my kids are only 3507 & 3009 days old. Im still getting used to it. :)

Right after my oldest was born my husband said something awful and insensitive, too. He told me I could still lose a lot in my stomach and he thought it would be gone faster. JERK! I cried all night. I considered putting bacon grease in everything he ate for the next two years so my tiny tiny husband would finally gain weight. I thought about eating some fries because I didn't think i was going to lose weight, so why not gain it! I was not tiny before my pregnancy and actually only gained 8lbs during the entire pregnancy. So he was commenting on me, not my pregnant body.

Then I remembered he was one of THEM! You know, they come from Mars. They don't dissect everything they say. They don't know how to understand feelings. They know how to grab a hammer and some nails and fix your problems. You can walk up to most men and poke them in the belly and call them the doughboy, and they giggle!!! Most men don't understand womens body image issues, partly because they are oblivious and mostly because at the end of the day he loves you and doesn't see what you see. When you complain about what you look like naked all hes thinking is "YES! Shes naked!"

Make him wake up for a poopy diaper tonight and feel good that he loves you enough to do that. :wink:
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I just need to vent and get this out so I don't go to sleep upset tonight. I'm a mom of 2, one of which I had just 5 days ago. I was struggling with my weight before becoming pregnant, wanting to lose about 80 pounds. Well I weighed myself today and was actually proud to look at the scale noticing Im only 5 pounds away from my pre pregnancy weight. Still have the 80 to go for my original goal but still happy that after 5 days I'be lost almost all my baby weight. Well watching TV with my husband we see an actress on TV which I'm not striving to look like but I said something about her being pretty but not as good as a lot of people say she looks and my husband says well she has a really nice body. Really? Not something I want to hear especially right after giving birth. Needless to say I went to my room and cried and haven't been saying much to him after. I told him how I feel much of anything.idk I'm probably over reacting from horomones and what not but just needed to get this off.my chest before I drive myself crazy.

Seriously this. I am a mother as well and I understand baby blues as well as any other mom out there, (I had them pretty bad) but please don't take it out on your poor husband. He's there to help you! Is it really fair to make him walk on eggshells with you? Is he not supposed to walk past a Victoria's Secret store with you, in case you start freaking out in public? What if he offers you some broccoli, will you burst into tears, assuming he's trying to insinuate you need to diet? He can't even compliment a model/actress on tv without fear of the "silent treatment"? You're going to make him afraid to ever open his mouth around you. Poor guy!

If you feel the hormones taking over, try to excuse yourself and go have a cry. But don't punish your husband for saying something innocent that you probably wouldn't have given a second thought to only a few months ago.

Congratulations on your new baby, btw. And seriously sweet job for losing all your baby weight already! That's awesome! :love:
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I just need to vent and get this out so I don't go to sleep upset tonight. I'm a mom of 2, one of which I had just 5 days ago. I was struggling with my weight before becoming pregnant, wanting to lose about 80 pounds. Well I weighed myself today and was actually proud to look at the scale noticing Im only 5 pounds away from my pre pregnancy weight. Still have the 80 to go for my original goal but still happy that after 5 days I'be lost almost all my baby weight. Well watching TV with my husband we see an actress on TV which I'm not striving to look like but I said something about her being pretty but not as good as a lot of people say she looks and my husband says well she has a really nice body. Really? Not something I want to hear especially right after giving birth. Needless to say I went to my room and cried and haven't been saying much to him after. I told him how I feel much of anything.idk I'm probably over reacting from horomones and what not but just needed to get this off.my chest before I drive myself crazy.

So... I feel for you, but what you've done is train your husband to keep silent when a thought flits through his head. If that's what you want in your man, then no harm no foul, but if you want to communicate with your mate, you might want to re-think things.

YOU are the one who commented on the actress. Were you actually fishing for a compliment? If so, don't be afraid to put it out there! We are NOT MIND READERS! Ask him point blank "Honey do you still think I'm pretty?" or "Sweetie are you still attracted to me?" Assuming he is not an idiot, he will respond appropriately. Ladies, most of us men want to make you happy, but if you don't tell us what you need, we can't give it to you.
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options

YOU are the one who commented on the actress. Were you actually fishing for a compliment? If so, don't be afraid to put it out there! We are NOT MIND READERS! Ask him point blank "Honey do you still think I'm pretty?" or "Sweetie are you still attracted to me?" Assuming he is not an idiot, he will respond appropriately. Ladies, most of us men want to make you happy, but if you don't tell us what you need, we can't give it to you.

^^ THIS ^^^

best advice ever! If i get my hair dyed I don't wait for my husband to notice I walk in and tell him what I did and await my incoming complement. Tell your husband what you need and the good ones will always give it.
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I might be the only one to say you are not overreacting. Why? Because you just had a baby and you are super sensitive. Good thing you told your husband. You should start getting better but if the crying jags don't stop seek professional help. I would cry for hours if I read a sad news article or if my dog seemed wierded out by the new baby. Think about the positive things. Overreacting as what other posters are calling, is normal and sucks. Go ahead and have a good cry and hug your husband. My husband soon found out what I needed and was 100 percent there for me. I hope you get that, it just takes time.

BTW good job on the loss, it took me 5 months to get back to my pre pregnancy weight. I wore maternity pants back to work 9 weeks after the baby was born.
  • shail1pc
    shail1pc Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think you are really really really overreacting. You brought up how she looked and he offered his opinion on how she looked. If you arent trying to be like her then why do you care? And now you are avoiding him? Grow up.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It's the hormonal changes, lack of sleep, major life change (going from one to two is a big change at first). You are right that talking it out is usually helpful.
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    I think you might be acting a tad dramatic. Especially considering that you brought it up to see what his reaction was.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options

Congratulations on your new baby! I remember crying about absolutely everything in the first couple of weeks after my kids were born. The thing is, your hormones really are in overdrive right now. When you start to feel that way try to take a deep breath and remember that it's your body doing this, nothing is actually wrong. I used to weep whenever anyone would ask me how I was, and I felt fine until they asked me!

I'm sure he did not mean to in any way make a comment about your body. You were discussing how an actress looks and he was probably just making an innocent comment. The next time you feel like this, just tell him that you are feeling very emotional about your appearance right now, try not to make it out to be his fault. (Unless he really does say something awful about you.) Men can feel really helpless when they are brand new fathers. It's good to communicate with him and show him how he can help you.
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    From a new mom (and a veteran mom) with a 2-year-old and a 4-month-old, I can tell you that yes, you were overreacting. But it's normal. I was an emotional wreck during both pregnancies and for a little while postpartum. Heck, every day I was pregnant with my second child, I wanted to hit my husband over the head with a frying pan! :embarassed:

Just remember this: your husband may think someone is attractive, but as a former poster put it, he's married to you, not them. Don't demonize him; he's stuck by you even during the craziness of being pregnant and having a baby, and he still loves you as much as ever, if not more. Give him a break, even if it's only for a little bit.
  • nrcutie88
    nrcutie88 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    He could have said, "We'll not everyone can be as gorgeous as you babe." ;)

But truthfully, we women do set ourselves up for insult very often with our husbands and they can rarely avoid it. New mommy's are super sensitive! I know this from personal experience.