Overripe Bananas

Options
Got a few bananas that are on their way out. I was going to whip up muffins but was wondering if anyone has other ideas of things I can do with them?
Thanks in advance! :-)

Replies

• paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    They're great frozen and blended into a smoothie.
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Banana bread ;)
  • apothecarist
    apothecarist Posts: 193
    Options
    Yup, I peel them, wrap them in plastic and freeze them for future use (smoothies, muffins, pancakes).
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah I forgot to peel them before freezing once....yep just once. It was awful! LOL
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    They're great frozen and blended into a smoothie.

This is what I do. I regularly buy many more bananas than I can eat before they are overly ripe. Then when they are really nice and almost to the point of overly ripe, I peel them and freeze them in freezer bags. They are great in my shakes and smoothies and would still be good thawed to be used in breads and other baked goods.
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I posted a recipe for my banana rum pancakes recently. I love them :)

steelcutpancakes5_sm.jpg

http://www.goudamonster.com/2013/06/banana-rum-steel-cut-oat-pancakes/
  • Aquafatty
    Aquafatty Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just last night we made "banana ice cream" with over-ripe bananas!!! We had put them into the freezer in the morning (peeled & cut into slices) then after work I popped them into the food processor, added a bit of vanilla essence, a tablespoon of peanut butter & a small chunk of chocolate for some added crunchy bits. It was gorgeous!! I happen to love peanut butter but you can add anything you like & you can't go wrong!!!! :)
  • 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I always just toss them in the freezer never knew I had to peel them. They always taste fine in smoothies or bread after.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I posted a recipe for my banana rum pancakes recently. I love them :)

steelcutpancakes5_sm.jpg

http://www.goudamonster.com/2013/06/banana-rum-steel-cut-oat-pancakes/

Looks yummy!!!!!
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    I just put a bunch in the freezer for smoothie use. I might make banana walnut muffins.
  • raeganjayne15
    Options
    Thanks for your awesome ideas. Those pancakes look amazing!
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I never peel them before throwing them into the freezer either--they are still fine for baking with, etc.

I made this recently and was pleasantly surprised by how good it was (I am an omnivore and have my prejudices against vegan and no added fat baking):
    http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2009/06/blueberry-banana-bread.html

I did the applesauce variation, and cut back the agave to 1/3 of a cup.
  • joannmorford
    joannmorford Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I fry them and then sprinkle with Tajin (a blend of lime, dried chili and salt). It adds a nice kick and tang to the overly sweet banana. It's great for dessert.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    ELVIS BARS!!! One of my favorite things ever.

1/4 cup softened butter
    1/2 cupbrown sugar
    1/2 cupwhite sugar
    2 mashed bananas
    3/4 teaspoonvanilla
    3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
    1 teaspoonbaking soda
    2 1/2 cups regular rolled oats (or 2 cups quick cook oats)
    2/3 cupchocolate chips

1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray an 8 x 8 inch baking pan and set aside.

2. In a large mixing bowl combine the first 4 ingredients and cream together well. Add in the vanilla, stir, then add in the peanut butter. Stirring carefully so you don’t spill, work in all of the peanut butter until in is completely incorporated.

3. Sprinkle the baking soda over the entire mixture, add in the oatmeal and chocolate chips and blend until well combined.

4, Pour into the 8 x 8 baking pan and bake for 30-32 minutes. Top should be nice and brown and center will still be slightly wiggly/moist. Allow to cool completely before cutting into them

*Of course, I prefer mine with a ton of dark chocolate chips. ;)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    peel. freeze. use in smoothies. the end.
  • JessMahoney1
    JessMahoney1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Just last night we made "banana ice cream" with over-ripe bananas!!! We had put them into the freezer in the morning (peeled & cut into slices) then after work I popped them into the food processor, added a bit of vanilla essence, a tablespoon of peanut butter & a small chunk of chocolate for some added crunchy bits. It was gorgeous!! I happen to love peanut butter but you can add anything you like & you can't go wrong!!!! :)

Trying this tonight!!
  • cyoka13
    cyoka13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Taggin' for tonight because I have some pretty ripe bananas at home ;)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Got a few bananas that are on their way out. I was going to whip up muffins but was wondering if anyone has other ideas of things I can do with them?
    Thanks in advance! :-)

Banana cream pie
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    peel. freeze. use in smoothies. the end.

This