Food intolerances - spill 'em!

Options

Replies

• summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Allergic to both red and white wine and most beers bother me as well. Good thing I'm not much of a drinker. ~
  • missstephanielynn
    missstephanielynn Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Asparagus :( I really enjoy it too.
  • sparrow0716
    Options
    Is it possible to develop an intolerance over time? I've been eating refined sugars all my life and since about January or February, I've cut most or all of them out of my diet. I've gone all organic and all the sugar I eat comes from fruit or breads (which I don't seem to have a problem with). Lately, after eating "super" sweets like cupcakes, cookies, or even hot chocolate from Starbucks, I develop either stomach pangs or massive headaches.

Is there such a thing as a sugar intolerance?
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    sugar and dairy--fortunately my symptoms are mild so as long as I keep it at a minimum, I am okay
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to develop an intolerance over time? I've been eating refined sugars all my life and since about January or February, I've cut most or all of them out of my diet. I've gone all organic and all the sugar I eat comes from fruit or breads (which I don't seem to have a problem with). Lately, after eating "super" sweets like cupcakes, cookies, or even hot chocolate from Starbucks, I develop either stomach pangs or massive headaches.

Is there such a thing as a sugar intolerance?

yes, for me I become lethargic
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Coeliac which is an autoimmune disorder when I come into contact with Gluten. Also have milk, soya and egg intolerances and in the last few months have also been diagnosed with a sunflower and mustard allergy.
  • salsagal36
    salsagal36 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms, full on anaphylaxis if I even come across extract of mushroom in flavourings. I look like a puffa fish and am clawing at my throat and chest. Not a pretty sight.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I get a horrible stomachache eating raw broccoli, cauliflower and spinach-but steamed, I have no problem at all! I don't know why.
  • mazfos
    mazfos Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I’ve been wheat intolerant for the last 30 years (I suspect it was triggered by taking very large doses of antibiotics I was prescribed after my daughter was born). The last couple of years I’ve been eating a lot of bought gluten-free breads and I’m now thinking that these might have been the reason for my weight gain over the last two years. I’d be interested to hear if anyone else has had this happen to them too.

Cucumber, even a sliver in a bought sandwich, gives me stomach trouble. And bell peppers, again even a tiny amount, make me violently ill (so indian takeaways are a bit risky!). Also recently I seem to re-act badly to milk and cheese products too. I’ve had to cut it right down (not a bad thing now I’m doing mfp I suppose!) but I really miss it.
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Gluten and bananas. Both were discovered recently - I tried cutting out gluten on a recommendation from my doctor (Celiac test came back negative, but couldn't rule out a regular old gluten intolerance), and then about a month after I cut out gluten I started noticing that my stomach got upset every time I ate a banana, until the day I ate a banana, felt like something was trying to claw it's way out of my intestines, and decided that was the end of me eating bananas. Ate bananas for almost thirty years... so yeah, sensitivities can definitely show up at any time. Shame, too. I kinda miss bananas. They were a favorite smoothie ingredient.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    onions
    tomatoes but only when cooked. Odd?
    bbq sauce
    pork...but if it's grilled I can eat it. Another odd.
    bananas

Everything else is pretty much good.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me sad because of all the really tasty things people are missing out on.

I've always had issues digesting milk fat. When I was younger it was thought that I was lactose intolerant but I can stomach skim milk and 0% milk fat products without issues (which has higher lactose content) so that pretty much ruled that out.

Also, since having gallstones while I was pregnant and subsequently having my gallbladder removed 6 weeks after giving birth, I have a really hard time digesting large amounts of oils/fats at once. It has also seemed to trigger some ill effects after having coffee.
  • tinylittlelove
    tinylittlelove Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Potatoes and cocoa

I still eat cocoa out of choice, then suffer the consequences, and my parents insist on making me eat mash when I'm at theirs!

Had trouble with bloating and general tummy troubles, only when I went for testing in 2010 was I told about these intolerance's. Though numerous things came up, I was told just to focus on these 2 things as these were the worst ones.
  • Emisole
    Emisole Posts: 65
    Options
    After I eat wheat thins, I want to throw up for days. Which is awful, because they're my absolute favorite.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Red dye #40 turns me from Bruce Banner into the Incredible Hulk...sort of. I go from being quiet and reserved to super-aggressive--- throwing things, having crying jags that last for hours and screaming raging fits. It's terribly scary, like I'm possessed. When I was a kid I didn't understand what was happening, but with the internet I've found that I am not alone and that lots of people (mostly kids though) have the same symptoms after ingesting Evil #40.

In my next life, I want an extra large cherry slushy!

Addendum: it goes without saying that as an adult I no longer even try to tempt fate and just stay the hell away from this stuff whenever possible. Unfortunately it's in a lot of things you wouldn't even guess (refrigerated pie crust, for example). Have to read labels scrupulously.
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Celiac here so absolutely no gluten for me. 5 years now. Although I couldn't eat eggs before my diagnosis and I can now, so I'll take the trade off.

I also can't handle malitol. I made the mistake of buying a box of protein bars with it and was quite a methane factory before I made the connection. Doh!
  • Dawnymaries
    Dawnymaries Posts: 109
    Options
    If I have more than one cup of coffee per day, I feel dizzy and nauseated for the entire evening/night. :( So... I really enjoy that one cup I can have!
  • mjoshua87
    mjoshua87 Posts: 50
    Options
    Coffee whitener and grapes... :S makes my stomach turn all day long
  • beccagillespie1
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant and gluten sensitive. I also feel better when I eat a plant based (vegan) diet. As sucky as vegan/non-gluten diet sounds, it's better than when I was spending $100+ a month on medication just so I could move without hurting and to keep eczema under control.
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Sesame seeds definitely.

Salmon, tomatoes, and beverages that contain caffeine maybe.

White flour, dairy (especially higher fat %) perhaps.