I couldn't believe my breakfast entry!

Options

Replies

• bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Muffins.

Muffins have got me more than once -- the worst was a Pumpkin Bran Muffin at Paradise Bakery that was over 700 calories.

I try to never eat muffins. I could eat 2 or 3 cookies for the same calories.

I never eat them either. They aren't good enough for me to be surprised by 1000 cals
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    *shrugs*

Big deal. My fruit and protein smoothie I had for breakfast after my workout was 467 calories. Add in the 1/2 a protein bar I had pre-workout and my breakfast was 600 calories.

Based on what was IN the burrito though I would have expected it to be over a thousand calories.
  • Keegansmum6
    Keegansmum6 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    hmmm I ate 1.5 candy bars today they fit into my day and im going to have the other half of my candy bar later...I acutally prefer trying to eat larger calorie meals for breakfast and lunch it doesn't always work out that way but it's what I aim for
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm actually fairly angry with myself for it. .......

580. 580!?! I almost cried.

This is not a healthy reaction to overeating by 200 Calories.

Why not? Being angry and frustrated when you find you've overeaten through misjudgement is not necessarily unhealthy.

200 calories isn't really the end of the world. A surprise? Yeah, but 200 calories is pretty easy to make up. Just go for a walk. Even a leisurely one can burn off more than that. Having a breakdown over 200 calories suggests to me that you might want to take a break from tracking for a while (I've been down that road, not fun).

I went to O'Charley's once and got their honey glazed chicken. I knew it'd be on the high end, due to the breading and cooking method, but it turns out that the chicken alone is something like 1200 calories, and that's not even including the sides! Given that a chicken breast is all of about 300 calories for the amount provided, that means they managed to cram 900 calories in on top of that! Talk about a shocker!
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    wendys grilled chicken bacon flatbread w/ all veggies looks good i said well bacon is like 90 calories for 2 pieces. that mo fo was almost 600 calories! never again. lesson learned
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Why not? Being angry and frustrated when you find you've overeaten through misjudgement is not necessarily unhealthy.

200 calories isn't really the end of the world. A surprise? Yeah, but 200 calories is pretty easy to make up. Just go for a walk. Even a leisurely one can burn off more than that. Having a breakdown over 200 calories suggests to me that you might want to take a break from tracking for a while (I've been down that road, not fun).

I went to O'Charley's once and got their honey glazed chicken. I knew it'd be on the high end, due to the breading and cooking method, but it turns out that the chicken alone is something like 1200 calories, and that's not even including the sides! Given that a chicken breast is all of about 300 calories for the amount provided, that means they managed to cram 900 calories in on top of that! Talk about a shocker!

Of course 200 calories isn't the end of the world. Being angry at yourself is not the end of the world either.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Who'd a thunk, cheese, eggs and fried potatoes would be kinda calorie dense

"Let the big flavor of the SuperSONIC® Breakfast Burrito get you out of bed. A medley of savory sausage, fluffy scrambled eggs, melty cheddar cheese, golden tots, diced onions, ripe tomatoes and spicy jalapeños all wrapped up in a warm flour tortilla"

Haha! I was thinking the exact same thing. THAT was the healthiest option on menu? :noway:

Based on the Sonic TV commercials, it may well have been.
  • hharvey9
    hharvey9 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Dave&Busters... the KIDS chicken tenders and fries is almost 1100 calories.. They have a salad that is somewhere around 800 WITHOUT dressing. I got a turkey avocado sandwhich and fries for 1000 but I planned ahead and it fit within my calories thanks to some working out and lower meals during the daytime that day. Plus I couldn't even eat it all!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

this is not overeating.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Saturday at lunch. I went to Chili's with my boyfriend and his parents and I was hemming and hawing over what I was going to eat...I wound up with my old standby. Turns out the Original Chicken crispers are about 1200 calories WITHOUT the fries. All I can say is that it's a good thing I burned over 1000 calories running just a few hours prior otherwise Saturday would have been all kinds of bad.

But my breakfast, if I have more than just a glass of milk, normally hits between 500-750 calories. It's all good.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Who'd a thunk, cheese, eggs and fried potatoes would be kinda calorie dense

"Let the big flavor of the SuperSONIC® Breakfast Burrito get you out of bed. A medley of savory sausage, fluffy scrambled eggs, melty cheddar cheese, golden tots, diced onions, ripe tomatoes and spicy jalapeños all wrapped up in a warm flour tortilla"

Right? I'm actually surprised it wasn't higher cal. Without even looking at the ingredients, the name "SuperSONIC" tells me it's probably the highest calorie breakfast burrito on their menu. A few tomatoes and onions aren't going to magically make the tots, cheese and tortilla have fewer calories. The tots probably have 150 cals, sausage at least 100, tortilla is at least 100, eggs are at least 100, cheese is at least 100.

Regardless, eat normally the rest of the day, cut out a treat or eat a smaller portion if you're really upset about it, and move on. It's really not a big deal.
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    yeah I learnt my lesson early on when I found MFP, it was shocking what was in what seemed like the healthiest option at restaurants. We went out last night to my DHs favourite go to since it has a gluten free menu for me. I now know what to order to keep in my macros. Going over is just never worth it. If I am going to consume that kind of calories and sugar it better have whipped cream and a cherry on it!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Actually the grocery I will stop at that has pre-made 'healthy' meals got me last night. And then they have no nutrition information to boot. The girl was very helpful and knew all the ingredients and was able to help me make a healthy choice.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    "No sausage, no cheese. Can I get extra veggies instead? Thanks."

FTFY.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I eat about 550 calories for breakfast every day. I don't think what happened was such a big deal in the bigger picture. Let it go.

I've been surprised by the calories in loads of things. Breakfast foods have gotten me many times. But I've still lost weight anyway... 31 pounds in 24 weeks.

And I don't think that the answer is to always prelog all the time. I think one of the skills that we need to learn is how to make good choices without having to check every morsel on the internet first.

I just went on a 2-week trip. I didn't prelog anything. I lost a pound. That makes me more confident that I'll be able to do maintenance when the time comes.
  • callandert
    callandert Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Live and learn from it...and dont' worry about it...tomorrow's another day! We have all been there...I have learned to go online before I visit a restaurant so I am not ordering on the fly! For example, I went to Tony Roma's and ordered the pulled pork sandwich I wanted (no sides) for 570 calories. I would otherwise have ordered the salad with chicken (which was over 1000 calories with the dressing!)

Salad might have been the healthier food choice...but you pick your battles. I did not come back disappointed that I ate 500 more calories than I thought! And I enjoyed my pulled pork sandwich!

Happy Eating! :)
  • rgrin
    rgrin Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yes, it sucks when it happens. But, as weird as it sounds, I kind of like it when that happens. Then I can see in black and white exactly WHY and HOW I got to be this big. Those are wonderful reminder moments. Learn and move on.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

this is not overeating.

Took the words right out of my mouth....

Also, news flash...fast food and restaurant food in general tends to be calorie dense...there...now you won't be surprised anymore.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I loved going to chipotle and I would always order a burrito bowl and chips and guacamole. The burrito bowl has about 900 calories and the chips and guacamole had 1200 calories in it. This was a super big eye opener. The amount of calories I ate in 1 meal was what I am now eating in 1 full day and working out. Don't let it get you too upset use it as a learning tool and move on. Make sure you drink plenty of water today to rid the body of the extra sodium.

Pro tip - it depends entirely on what you put in your burrito bowl. The beans, rice, dairy, salad dressing, and tortilla (and/or chips) are the worst offenders for cranking up the calories. Learn to love the lettuce, meat, and salsas, and be choosy about the other toppings and you can keep that number more reasonable (you can also ask for less of most of the toppings, including rice). It also helps to remember that it's a meal in a bowl, so don't reach for the bag of chips and the fountain drink.

According to Chipotle fan ( http://chipotlefan.com/index.php?id=nutrition_calculator ), my typical bowl comes in around 500 calories, which is in par for my meals. Bowl with half-serving of white rice, steak, tomato salsa, sour cream, cheese, and lettuce (goes down to about 435 if I do the "salad" variety, without rice or salad dressing).

It's still high in the sodium department, but for calories, and especially for fast food, it's not terrible.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    No big deal...its not that bad, and you have the rest of the day to eat things you want to fit your macros and calories.

you will be fine.:smile: