I couldn't believe my breakfast entry!

Options

Replies

• YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Saturday at lunch. I went to Chili's with my boyfriend and his parents and I was hemming and hawing over what I was going to eat...I wound up with my old standby. Turns out the Original Chicken crispers are about 1200 calories WITHOUT the fries. All I can say is that it's a good thing I burned over 1000 calories running just a few hours prior otherwise Saturday would have been all kinds of bad.

But my breakfast, if I have more than just a glass of milk, normally hits between 500-750 calories. It's all good.

Are you surprised those chicken tenders are that bad for you?? I think they are yummy, but they are the biggest tenders I have ever seen...So tasty. And yet SO bad for you. *sigh*
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I can't believe the orange juice I had this morning was so high is cals. I can't really think of anything else right now, although I know there's more. But, orange juice, really?!
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    So, now you look up what you SHOULD have ordered... and you'll know next time. Live and learn. This whole process is a learning experience. Just say oops, they got me... this probably means I can have something even tastier next time and less calories. For example: a Jr breakfast burrito (280 cals) and a whole banana (they'll sell you the fruit just by itself). :wink:
  • tigerlily886
    tigerlily886 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I ate at Zaxby's and their grilled chicken sandwich was nearly 700 calories. My husband got a banana pudding milkshake and that was 800 calories. We are never eating at Zaxby's again.

It is weird because the same grilled chicken sandwich at Chick fil A is 310 calories, which is where we go instead.
  • jordantylergillespie
    jordantylergillespie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My recent surprise came at Zupas. I figure how bad can a 1/2 sandwich and bowl of soup be? Can't remember the exact numbers, but was considerably higher than expected.

Zupas is evil. Everything on their menus is high calorie mostly processed carbs and fat, fat, fat and we're not talking the good kind of fat either.
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Muffins got me...

Certain veggies as well... just make sure to live with your iPAD
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    i went out to dinner after the movies a few months ago and i ordered a salad and sat there all smug until i got home and logged it at 600 lol. wasn't that pissed, and even though it was 600 calories, it was 600 nutritious calories.
  • thebrazenhead
    thebrazenhead Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sometimes its really eye opening. I was busy at work one day so I couldn't grab lunch until after the salad bar was closed. I was starving so I grabbed a wrap from Jugo Juice- almost 700 cals! I was so disappointed, it wasn't even very filling.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    pretty much anything from Subway... then I realized the motto was FRESH... not HEALTHY!

Not necessarily. If I got a 6" black forest ham grinder on 9 grain bread with american cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, onions and olive oil and vinegar it's a whopping 330 calories. I don't consider that to be bad considering the salads I make can be 600+ calories and I have made sandwiches at home that are probably more than that. Heck my lunch today was 446 calories and it was two hard boiled eggs and a toasted english muffin with cheese, ham and tomato on it.
  • 9JANE
    9JANE Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you do this every morning then you could be angry with yourself but once in a while or once a week that is okay you have to treat yourself or you will get bored with your diet (or life style change) and then you will have failed. If you keep your calories down the rest of the week then you are fine. Do try to drink more water to get rid of the salt but just try to get a workout into try and help with the guilt.:happy:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm actually fairly angry with myself for it. .......

580. 580!?! I almost cried.

This is not a healthy reaction to overeating by 200 Calories.

Why not? Being angry and frustrated when you find you've overeaten through misjudgement is not necessarily unhealthy.

200 calories isn't really the end of the world. A surprise? Yeah, but 200 calories is pretty easy to make up. Just go for a walk. Even a leisurely one can burn off more than that. Having a breakdown over 200 calories suggests to me that you might want to take a break from tracking for a while (I've been down that road, not fun).

I went to O'Charley's once and got their honey glazed chicken. I knew it'd be on the high end, due to the breading and cooking method, but it turns out that the chicken alone is something like 1200 calories, and that's not even including the sides! Given that a chicken breast is all of about 300 calories for the amount provided, that means they managed to cram 900 calories in on top of that! Talk about a shocker!

Of course 200 calories isn't the end of the world. Being angry at yourself is not the end of the world either.

But 200 calories isn't even really worth getting angry about, though, especially at breakfast, when you have the rest of the day to adjust the rest of your meals or go for a walk. Hell, if your goal is to lose a pound a week, you could eat over your calorie limit by 200 calories every single day and still lose a little over half a pound.

So? I don't see how any of that makes feeling angry about the extra 200 "unhealthy". People on MFP throw "unhealthy" around much too easily.

Maybe the OP didn't want to go for another walk. Maybe she didn't have time. Maybe she just gets angry at herself when she guesses incorrectly. Whatever her reason(s), just because she was angry with herself doesn't make her reaction unhealthy.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Who'd a thunk, cheese, eggs and fried potatoes would be kinda calorie dense

"Let the big flavor of the obviously low calSuperSONIC® Breakfast Burrito get you out of bed. A medley of savory sausage, fluffy scrambled eggs, melty cheddar cheese, golden tots, diced onions, ripe tomatoes and spicy jalapeños all wrapped up in a warm flour tortilla"

I fixed it for you..or for them.

That reminds me of how I used to start my day with two of these...back when the SuperSONIC version (with tots) wasn't even on the menu.

And may I never get angry at myself for being 200 calories over at breakfast. C'mon, OP, you have the entire rest of the day to make a few tweaks and end up right on plan. I suggest you work on building some more flexibility into your approach to this.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I eat at least two of those a week, at the minimum. Excellent hangover food.
  • marshmallow8978
    marshmallow8978 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have realized that Sonic has nothing healthy. I only eat there when I know its a splurge, otherwise I stick with an unsweetened tea.
    One thing I was surprised by, was Applebee's burgers. I knew they would be bad, I knew it was a splurge, I knew I would go over, however I did not realize that a burger was 1700 cals. Yikes! How do they even do that? Anyhow, lesson learned; stick with the healthy menu at Applebees :)
  • notabassist31
    Options
    Having worked in restaurants I'm not surprised by anything being high in calories.

I worked at a Texas Roadhouse & I'll tell you this:
    Want to eat healthy by choosing the corn as a side? It's 10lbs of corn mixed with 5lbs of butter.
    Green beans are cooked with bacon fat.
    Rice is cooked with almost as much butter as the corn.
    Nearly everything has butter or some form of fat in it's recipe.

Most restaurants are going 100% for flavor & taste & have no interest in the nutritional value of the food. That means the food is going to be packed with fat & sodium.
  • jkuhnen
    jkuhnen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty defeating feeling, but try not to let it get to you. Like everybody said, bring something with the app or look ahead of time. My trick is to search the restaurant and start scrolling until I find something low-cal and edible.

And while 200 calories might be within the random error margin, if you're on a 1,200-1300 calorie plan, its a substantial portion of your calories. Its easy to say go for a walk, but if you work a pretty serious job (50-60 hours a week+ commute), and have kids time gets thin fast. Don't get me wrong, I make time, but for me it typically just cuts into my sleep.

Wraps always stun me. Wraps/tortillas are amazingly high in calories. Taco Bell Crunchy supreme is equal to soft taco WITHOUT sour cream! So if they took a crunchy taco and infused all the calories from sour cream, then you would have the same calories as the soft shell. I went to Champps and got the Chicken Ranch Wrap (minus the ranch). That thing was tiny and only had grilled chicken, lettuce and tomato and still was 600 calories! My only guess was that it was the wrap.

On the flip side, my favorite thing is finding things that at least relative to how filing/tasty they are to me are low-cal. My favorites are skinny cow ice cream sandwiches. Enough to make me feel like I had a real dessert, and only 140-150 calories. Strawberry shortcake is the best and I don't even care about strawberry. Reeses Cup mini blizzards are pretty good too for 360, but I typically have to save up for those.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    at least it happened at breakfast and you have the rest of the day to make the necessary adjustments. There is a Sonic across the street from my work. I opt for the junior breakfast burrito. The fat and sodium are bummers, but it is very filling and the lesser evil of their breakfast options.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm actually fairly angry with myself for it. .......

580. 580!?! I almost cried.

This is not a healthy reaction to overeating by 200 Calories.

Why not? Being angry and frustrated when you find you've overeaten through misjudgement is not necessarily unhealthy.

200 calories isn't really the end of the world. A surprise? Yeah, but 200 calories is pretty easy to make up. Just go for a walk. Even a leisurely one can burn off more than that. Having a breakdown over 200 calories suggests to me that you might want to take a break from tracking for a while (I've been down that road, not fun).

I went to O'Charley's once and got their honey glazed chicken. I knew it'd be on the high end, due to the breading and cooking method, but it turns out that the chicken alone is something like 1200 calories, and that's not even including the sides! Given that a chicken breast is all of about 300 calories for the amount provided, that means they managed to cram 900 calories in on top of that! Talk about a shocker!

Of course 200 calories isn't the end of the world. Being angry at yourself is not the end of the world either.

But 200 calories isn't even really worth getting angry about, though, especially at breakfast, when you have the rest of the day to adjust the rest of your meals or go for a walk. Hell, if your goal is to lose a pound a week, you could eat over your calorie limit by 200 calories every single day and still lose a little over half a pound.

So? I don't see how any of that makes feeling angry about the extra 200 "unhealthy". People on MFP throw "unhealthy" around much too easily.

Maybe the OP didn't want to go for another walk. Maybe she didn't have time. Maybe she just gets angry at herself when she guesses incorrectly. Whatever her reason(s), just because she was angry with herself doesn't make her reaction unhealthy.

I'm with you. The OP says she *almost* cried, which is hardly an emotional breakdown. She was disappointed. I would be too, and mostly in myself for not checking out the information beforehand. The good news about places like Sonic is that the calorie information for their food is very easy to find. A smartphone or a little planning is the lesson of the day.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    One time I assembled what I thought was about a 350-calorie dinner (because that's all the calories I had left for the day), but when I actually looked it up later, it was about twice that. Those stinking calories add up fast!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Having worked in restaurants I'm not surprised by anything being high in calories.

I worked at a Texas Roadhouse & I'll tell you this:
    Want to eat healthy by choosing the corn as a side? It's 10lbs of corn mixed with 5lbs of butter.
    Green beans are cooked with bacon fat.
    Rice is cooked with almost as much butter as the corn.
    Nearly everything has butter or some form of fat in it's recipe.

Most restaurants are going 100% for flavor & taste & have no interest in the nutritional value of the food. That means the food is going to be packed with fat & sodium.

Strong first post.

I am now very VERY *VERY* hungry.

(And I like eating fat and don't mind eating sodium.)