Wake up to the Benefits of Breakfast!

Options

Replies

• bethanylaugh
    bethanylaugh Posts: 237
    Options
    This Public Service Announcement has been brought to you by Kellogg's.

ha
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    BTW, I did eat breakfast this morning (sometimes I do) and with 2 hours to go before lunch I am feeling very hungry. When I skip it I am usually not hungry. For me personally, there is something to the "once you light the fire you must feed the flames" school of thought.

actually there is not...there is no evidence that eating breakfast first thing in the morning does anything for metabolism, flames, or anything else you want to call it..

How could that be true? Eating causes an increase in metabolism.

If you assume you will eat the same amount of food during the day, whether you eat breakfast or not, then you have the answer to that question, i.e. the same amount of food will have the same effect on your body. The point is that meal timing doesn't matter. I intentionally skip breakfast many days. I cannot consistently keep IF because on legs days and certain other active days, I need to eat either before I work out or simply because I wake up quite hungry. The beauty is that knowing meal timing doesn't matter allows each individual to confidently do what works for him/her and to not eat when he/she is not hungry.

While I agree with your points in this post, it's not the same thing you said in the previous.

"there is no evidence that eating breakfast first thing in the morning does anything for metabolism." is not true

There is no evidence that eating breakfast first thing in the morning does anything more than eating later would, is true.

You seemed to have me confused with someone else as my comment was a clarification of an earlier point that was not made by me. That said, given the context, I thought their point was already quite clear.
    yea, that was I ...and what I was saying is that "eating breakfast or skipping breakfast has zero impact on metabolism" ...although, some would argue that skipping breakfast and extending your overnight fast will actually increase metabolism...www.leangains.com

My point is that eating breakfast does impact metabolism. While I did know what you meant, the number of posts about breakfast "jump starting metabolism" would suggest that not everyone on MFP would assume you meant if you eat the same amount of food during the day when you say there is 'no impact'.

no actually it does not ...if Person A eats 500 cals for breakfast and 500 for lunch, then the metabolic increase is based on burning off 1000 calories (500 for breakfast and 500 for lunch)..

Person B skips breakfast and has 1000 cals for lunch ...the metabolic increase is still based on burning off 1000 calories...thus Person A gets no additional benefit for eating breakfast over Person B...

So then, the 500 calorie breakfast did impact metabolism.

The same amount as 500 calories eaten at any other part of the day, but an impact nonetheless.

Copying for use the next time I discuss debating with students. This is a great example of how to embarrass yourself and cause people to stop taking you seriously.

Hey, I'm not the one saying ridiculous things like there is no impact on metabolism if you eat early in the day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    BTW, I did eat breakfast this morning (sometimes I do) and with 2 hours to go before lunch I am feeling very hungry. When I skip it I am usually not hungry. For me personally, there is something to the "once you light the fire you must feed the flames" school of thought.

actually there is not...there is no evidence that eating breakfast first thing in the morning does anything for metabolism, flames, or anything else you want to call it..

If you assume you will eat the same amount of food during the day, whether you eat breakfast or not, then you have the answer to that question, i.e. the same amount of food will have the same effect on your body. The point is that meal timing doesn't matter. I intentionally skip breakfast many days. I cannot consistently keep IF because on legs days and certain other active days, I need to eat either before I work out or simply because I wake up quite hungry. The beauty is that knowing meal timing doesn't matter allows each individual to confidently do what works for him/her and to not eat when he/she is not hungry.

While I agree with your points in this post, it's not the same thing you said in the previous.

"there is no evidence that eating breakfast first thing in the morning does anything for metabolism." is not true

There is no evidence that eating breakfast first thing in the morning does anything more than eating later would, is true.

You seemed to have me confused with someone else as my comment was a clarification of an earlier point that was not made by me. That said, given the context, I thought their point was already quite clear.
    yea, that was I ...and what I was saying is that "eating breakfast or skipping breakfast has zero impact on metabolism" ...although, some would argue that skipping breakfast and extending your overnight fast will actually increase metabolism...www.leangains.com

My point is that eating breakfast does impact metabolism. While I did know what you meant, the number of posts about breakfast "jump starting metabolism" would suggest that not everyone on MFP would assume you meant if you eat the same amount of food during the day when you say there is 'no impact'.

no actually it does not ...if Person A eats 500 cals for breakfast and 500 for lunch, then the metabolic increase is based on burning off 1000 calories (500 for breakfast and 500 for lunch)..

Person B skips breakfast and has 1000 cals for lunch ...the metabolic increase is still based on burning off 1000 calories...thus Person A gets no additional benefit for eating breakfast over Person B...

The same amount as 500 calories eaten at any other part of the day, but an impact nonetheless.

Please explain how you came to that bizarre conclusion? The increase in metabolism is the same...
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I wake up to late for breakfast op should I panic? Will I lose all my gains?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

you immediately go into starvation mode...Totally F'd Bro.....
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

You're actually being deliberately obtuse, just plain trolling, or you seriously have difficulty understanding simple concepts..

Look, if I eat 2000 calories for breakfast, it's about a 200 calorie increase because TEF is roughly 10%. If I skip eating breakfast and lunch, and eat a 2000 calorie dinner instead, it's still a 200 calorie boost. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SPECIFIC MEAL YOU EAT. It is 100% solely dependent on the total number of calories consumed. If I eat breakfast only, I get a small boost from it. If I eat lunch only, I get the same boost. If I eat dinner only, I still get the same boost. If I eat breakfast lunch and dinner, I still get the same boost, just divided into 3 smaller boosts. If I only eat lunch and dinner, I still get the same boost, only it's divided into 2 smaller boosts.

The metabolic boost from eating has absolutely nothing to do at all with specifically eating breakfast. It has to do with eating, period. Whenever you choose to eat. It's really not a difficult concept to understand.
  • mrbunnylamakins
    Options
    I already confronted another post where several people said breakfast is not necessary and I posted over several studies and article by well known doctors that say eating breakfast is very important in weight lost.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I already confronted another post where several people said breakfast is not necessary and I posted over several studies and article by well known doctors that say eating breakfast is very important in weight lost.

Someone writing an article or doing a study would of course only reference the doctors who concur with their viewpoint. If 4 out of 5 doctors agree with them, one still disagrees, and I doubt they will use that doctor's contribution. Studies and articles are slanted in the favor of the author and the author's viewpoint.
  • diamier
    diamier Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't really know about the breakfast - what impact it really does on our body, but I know that I really enjoy my breakfast: a toast with fried eggs and lettuce, pancakes, oatmeal - they just some of my favourite food and a they just scream out "Eat me for breakfast! Only for breakfast!" But really, I eat them only for breakfast. Except crepes.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast daily...but I usually do it around noon.
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    *On weekends, take time for a fun and healthful family breakfast to share the details of your busy week.

Excuse me, while I vomit some Full House
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    754.gif
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    research also suggests that 100% of the people who eat breakfast die....

Correlation, not causation (unless you happen to choke on your food) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    *On weekends, take time for a fun and healthful family breakfast to share the details of your busy week.

Excuse me, while I vomit some Full House

:laugh:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

The best plan of action is to try to eat a few hundred calories right before bed, so that when your metabolism shuts down overnight, it has some fuel to jump start it and take you out of starvation mode as soon as you wake up.
  • Priscillawants74gone
    Priscillawants74gone Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This Public Service Announcement has been brought to you by Kellogg's.

Love it!
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast everyday as soon as I wake up because I'm hungry every morning and because if I didn't I'd feel sick, tired, and would probably eat the first hundred muffins I saw when I buy my coffee.

I eat a bowl of cereal with 1% milk and a piece of fruit.

But I know not everyone needs breakfast. It's crazy to think they do. Does everyone need lunch? Does everyone need to eat an avacado a day? It's not unhealthy to do any of these things but you can't say it's unhealthy to NOT do these things. Breakfast has it's benefits for people certain people like me (namely, making me not hungry) but no one needs to force themselves to eat it.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    9uACPL8.gif

I eat in the morning if I'm hungry. I don't eat if I'm not.
    KISS - Keep It Simple. No need to overthink this.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options

The best plan of action is to try to eat a few hundred calories right before bed, so that when your metabolism shuts down overnight, it has some fuel to jump start it and take you out of starvation mode as soon as you wake up.
    Yep. This is the right answer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Do you have any that show causation rather than correlation, or that are under CR rather than ad lib eating?

Do you have the link to that post?