Cauliflower Waffles

Options
1235»

Replies

• cng31183
    cng31183 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Actually... it seems like it might be pretty good... a nice savoury waffle.....damn I'm hungry.....
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    In for the butthurt.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Honestly that first cauliflower recipe sounds good, it sounds like traditional potato cakes, which is a dish Grandma used to make. They are spicy, hearty, and wonderful. Cauliflower could add an interesting dimension.

Dont act like a two year old and turn up your nose at food when you havent even tried it. It might be wonderfully delicious, or, it might taste like total *kitten*. But YOU dont know.
    Lol, so would you try this?

balut.jpg

BALUT- duck embryo

I love waffles. I just see no need make a substitute for them, IF one knows how to control their calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Everyone doesn't substitute for the sake of calories. There are people like myself that are gluten intolerant and have celiac disease and gluten found in flour for waffles, pizza, bread, etc makes us sick, very, very sick.

YOU would be the last person I would expect to see making fun of someone that can't have gluten due to allergies and such. Shame on you.

If I saw that my trainer had pulled something like this, I would drop them so fast and find a way to notify all of his / her customers of what a jerk they were.
    Really, where have I made fun of people who are gluten intolerant? I haven't. It's the people who are trying to SAVE CALORIES that the parody (like others have) is about.

IDEA Fitness member

The fact that you posted this topic in the first place.

I don't find it amusing to take and make a topic just to mock people.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    The fact that you posted this topic in the first place.

I don't find it amusing to take and make a topic just to mock people.
    You must not follow a lot of my threads then because I poke fun at just about everything here. Guess you can't please everyone.

IDEA Fitness member
  • tryskinni
    tryskinni Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Haters have inspired me to create a cauliflower latke.
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Maybe cauliflower/potato/chickpea curry breakfast patties? Add a little mango chutney and you've got a delicious healthy gluten free breakfast!

or this:

Chickpea flour pancakes with cauliflower and ****ake mushrooms! http://www.veganricha.com/2013/05/chickpea-flour-pancakes-with.html
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Maybe cauliflower/potato/chickpea curry breakfast patties? Add a little mango chutney and you've got a delicious healthy gluten free breakfast!

or this:

Chickpea flour pancakes with cauliflower and ****ake mushrooms! http://www.veganricha.com/2013/05/chickpea-flour-pancakes-with.html

I can't believe that it actually bleeped out ****ake! hahaha! Shiitake!
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Honestly that first cauliflower recipe sounds good, it sounds like traditional potato cakes, which is a dish Grandma used to make. They are spicy, hearty, and wonderful. Cauliflower could add an interesting dimension.

Dont act like a two year old and turn up your nose at food when you havent even tried it. It might be wonderfully delicious, or, it might taste like total *kitten*. But YOU dont know.
    Lol, so would you try this?

BALUT- duck embryo

I love waffles. I just see no need make a substitute for them, IF one knows how to control their calories.

IDEA Fitness member

Everyone doesn't substitute for the sake of calories. There are people like myself that are gluten intolerant and have celiac disease and gluten found in flour for waffles, pizza, bread, etc makes us sick, very, very sick.

YOU would be the last person I would expect to see making fun of someone that can't have gluten due to allergies and such. Shame on you.

If I saw that my trainer had pulled something like this, I would drop them so fast and find a way to notify all of his / her customers of what a jerk they were.

:flowerforyou:
    Funny on your first post you are saying no way to it.:huh:

IDEA Fitness member

Yeah...your problem with that is?...and I was meaning No way...Like "No way, is there such a thing?" not that i have to explain myself.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    This is like the Banana "pancake" argument...Some people (me included) cannot have regular pancakes..I get annoyed at people that don't take that into consideration. I love the fact I can have can have them and not worry about getting sick!

Also i just wanted to add the fact that the recipe you posted was for savory...I don't see whats wrong with a cheesey savory cauliflower waffle! It actually sounds quite good-different but good...but If it was sweet defiantly be scratching my head saying :noway:
  • MizPassion
    MizPassion Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I literally did this :noway: when I read the title. This does remind me of the Cauliflower Pizza crust recipe I've seen. Thought about giving it a try, but like someone above said "Why ruin something so good by making it healthy?" Best question of the day! :laugh:
    It also reminded me of the cauliflower thin crust pizza recipe. I may also try cauliflower fritters. Has anyone tried cauliflower smoothies lol? It doesn't sound inviting but I'm curious.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower Waffles

One head of cauliflower
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    4 teaspoons baking powder
    2 tablespoons white sugar
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 cups warm milk
    1/3 cup butter, melted
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Cut up cauliflower set aside.

2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar; set aside. Preheat waffle iron to desired temperature

3. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the milk, butter and vanilla. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture; beat until blended.

4. Ladle the batter into a preheated waffle iron. Cook the waffles until golden and crisp. Serve immediately.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    Cauliflower Waffles

One head of cauliflower
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    4 teaspoons baking powder
    2 tablespoons white sugar
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 cups warm milk
    1/3 cup butter, melted
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Cut up cauliflower set aside.

2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar; set aside. Preheat waffle iron to desired temperature

3. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the milk, butter and vanilla. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture; beat until blended.

4. Ladle the batter into a preheated waffle iron. Cook the waffles until golden and crisp. Serve immediately.

I thought the point was making it an alternative to flour and to lower cals etc, That recipe uses both and its sweet.... might as well skip the cauli and you would get normal batter correct? so that's pretty pointless i must say.

edit: or is that the point :laugh: set it aside an not use it? :laugh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What's next? Kale waffles?

I'm gluten free and pretty desperate for pizza, so I might try the cauliflower crust, but I draw a line at waffles. Seriously, maple syrup and cauliflower have no business meeting one another.

Couldn't you make a pizza crust with rice flour? I realize gluten is what gives the crust the elasticity, but surely rice flour would be closer to the real thing than cauliflower.

Some people like myself can not even have rice flour due to a protein in the rice that the body can react just like it is gluten.

Muscle and joint aches and pains are no fun and neither is the digestive issues that accompany either.

No, I can imagine that is not fun. No offense was intended, I was just suggesting an gluten free grain.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    No.

You can't replace the real thing.